The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, alastairq said:

Interesting that the Ambassador is currently showing SORN, and the MoT ran out 11 months ago.....?

Being the Izzel o' Wigget, it'll be some sort of tree worm...?

There's no suitable pre-ordaned response to that one, the DVLA can't afford the ferry crossing to seek it out!

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, alastairq said:

Interesting that the Ambassador is currently showing SORN, and the MoT ran out 11 months ago.....?

Being the Izzel o' Wigget, it'll be some sort of tree worm...?

It was parked round the back of Ryde St John's Road station so technically 'off road'. It may well belong to one ofthe depot staff in which case it represents a far more modern vehicle than the 1938 tube stock they have to work on...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Kingzance said:

There's no suitable pre-ordained response to that one, the DVLA can't afford the ferry crossing to seek it out!

Sadly, a photograph, plus a 'witness' statement as to time, is all they would need. No longer need to actually stand alongside a vehicle these days.  

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, andyman7 said:

It was parked round the back of Ryde St John's Road station so technically 'off road'. It may well belong to one ofthe depot staff in which case it represents a far more modern vehicle than the 1938 tube stock they have to work on...

There are now 'legal' issues as to what constitutes 'off-road?'   Especially roads which, although privately-owned [Tesco car park, for example?]...are 'roads to which the public have access'..meaning, vehicles on those particular sites need to be at least road-legal [insurance & stuff]...

Now, if the date of hte photo hadn't been mentioned.......??  :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Sadly, a photograph, plus a 'witness' statement as to time, is all they would need. No longer need to actually stand alongside a vehicle these days.  

Why "sadly"? If people aren't prepared to pay then it's their own fault, no reason to be sad... Why should the rest of us have to pay and him not...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Of course a vehicle that is neither taxed, SORN nor exempt is not insured to be on the road and therefore, if involved in an accident, becomes someone else’s uninsured loss (or even worse).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Keep spotting stuff on our travels around the island so will keep posting them in here as I am sure they must be of some interest to others.  If nothing else at least there must be an interesting story how some of the stuff got here in the first place.

So today's example.

20190420_141815.jpg

• Like 11

I used to go to IOW a fair bit in the 80s, funnily enough there was always old cars around ( time scaled back relative to then of course) ..one street in Ryde had a whole load of them parked up, it was like suddenly being in the 50s or something ( maybe there's a local who's a classic car bloke in a big way)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alastairq said:

There are now 'legal' issues as to what constitutes 'off-road?'   Especially roads which, although privately-owned [Tesco car park, for example?]...are 'roads to which the public have access'..meaning, vehicles on those particular sites need to be at least road-legal [insurance & stuff]...

Now, if the date of hte photo hadn't been mentioned.......??  :)

I don't think it was a public area at all - the photo was taken from a train!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I don't think it was a public area at all - the photo was taken from a train!

Looking at the plethora of road markings, street lamps, signage, etc.. that area may not be intended for the 'public's' use, but that apparently doesn't matter when an area is defined as  a 'road to which the public have access?'  It appears folk do have access..even if it is considered to be an employer's car park.....

Now, if it were fenced off and gated, then that may be a different matter....

Whether a vehicle is considered to be 'off' the public highway has become a bone of contention in many areas..[Council-owned land, for example?]

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2019 at 19:32, peanuts said:

spotted this beauty outside our local B&Q  today very good resto 

20190419_185504.jpg

20190419_185454.jpg

In a Disabled bay with no sign of a Disability Permit in the photos and a discarded can of low quality alcoholic beverage nearby. What are classic car drivers coming to?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2019 at 19:32, peanuts said:

spotted this beauty outside our local B&Q  today very good resto 

20190419_185504.jpg

20190419_185454.jpg

42 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

In a Disabled bay with no sign of a Disability Permit in the photos and a discarded can of low quality alcoholic beverage nearby. What are classic car drivers coming to?

And signwritten  with a contractors name. Did it have a 'Highways maintenance' sign on the back?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Most likely couldn’t get an age appropriate disability badge, then again they could just take a front wheel off and paint it NHS Blue :lol:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was also concerned about the discarded Fosters tin. Although a K suffix registration is the same year Fosters  was introduced to the UK, someone driving a car of that period should be drinking proper beer. 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, petethemole said:

Blue badge was quite possibly lying flat on top of the dash, perfectly visible to those who need to see it. That's where SWMBO puts hers.

No “dash top” on a Mini of that age......maybe they think as it’s RFL exempt it’s Blue Badge exempt as well? ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooh Lovely - A Dolly in the best colour, with Sprint alloys and an absence of rust at the bottom corners of the boot lid.  Three features my 1850HL (first car) sadly lacked.....

(But mine did have the twin headlights).

Edited by Northmoor
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was also a MGB roadster parked outside the entrances by the bridge at the York show when I left Saturday p.m.. On an L plate as I recall, with painted wires and in Black Tulip, the same colour as ours. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

There was also a MGB roadster parked outside the entrances by the bridge at the York show when I left Saturday p.m.. On an L plate as I recall, with painted wires and in Black Tulip, the same colour as ours. 

Maroon B roadster on an F plate passed through our village today. I had the Grampian Grey BGT on  '69 G plate for a while but went from that to the P6 Rover 3500S in white with a black vinyl roof covering - somewhat quicker than the BGT!