The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

My favourite above is chitty chitty bang bang!

Didn't realise there was so much land rover hate about!

Have to say they've been very reliable for me over the years.. I'd rather trust mine than some box of needless electrickery that's designed to fail and cost you a fortune to 'diagnostic' ..hey ho

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Lovely selection there Pete, thanks for sharing them. Nice Cobra replica next to the E-Type, not over done on the bling front with massive wheels and low profile tyres like some are, and I notice it's an auto! Nice simple dash in it too ;).

Just found this, looks like a recently taken posed shot but it's from 1972, taken on Van Nuys Boulevard, Los Angeles...

SHELBY Van Nuys Boulevard LA 1972.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

My BMW Mini Cooper S had its MOT yesterday, first one in 3 years since being laid up in a barn, I’d had the brakes replaced prior to the test as they were shot but it failed on a tyre and ‘major oil leak’ 

ordered the tyre and speaking with the MOT guy he seems to think the leak is the oil filter housing gasket which isn’t a major job to do so all being well i’ll have it back tomorrow, regards the leak the car was sat on my drive for over a month and didn’t drop any oil at all when stationary or while I had it running so it’s likely it’s something that’s been disturbed while being serviced, the other mechanic who worked on the car showed me the remains of the oil filter that was fitted which just comprised of the centre plastic moulding and remnants of the paper filter which had pretty much disintegrated, he’s pretty confident he’s got most of it out (it’s also had an oil change anyway) but he said it hadn’t been serviced for a very long time (which 2-3 years stationary is understandable!) 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Didn't realise there was so much land rover hate about!

Have to say they've been very reliable for me over the years.. I'd rather trust mine than some box of needless electrickery that's designed to fail and cost you a fortune to 'diagnostic' ..hey ho

I wouldn't go as far as 'hate'....in fact, quite the opposite!

But some of us do have a healthy quota of realism....   :)

On the 'mendable' front, like Land Rovers, I also suggest the old rear-engined Skodas?  {Don't know enough about the even older front-engined, rear drive Skodas...such as the proper Octavia [not the Passsatt lookalike!]....

These cars could all be mended anywhere....I have performed engine overhauls in a car park! Every component could be dismantled [if it ceased to function], and mended. Everything was done up with nuts, bolts and screws.

If something was completely effffed, then it could be replaced with something else that performed the same function.....regardless of what that item came out of.

They were designed to be so....repairable.....appropriate given their 'home' markets, and the conditions that prevailed.....Repairable without the need for clinical workshop facilities.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

In recent days, I've seen

An Austin Allegro!!

A Maxi,

and I regularly see a Triumph 1500,

All the above in immaculate condition. I also see every day a green goddess, and know in the shed next to it is another one.

For myself I've a Land Rover 110, NO not a Defender, that name didn't appear till 7 years after mine was built.

It's a proper Trigger's broom.

New chassis  galvanised

New Bulkhead Galvanised

New doors .. Frames galvanised,

Stainless exhaust.

rebuilt gear box,

disco transfer box and 200TDI engine.

Limited slip Diff (rear)

Alloy wheels.

The next improvement will be a winch and centre front tow bar (Push bar)..

But IT IS the SAME vehicle and has never let me down..:D

Collecting  4 sheets of ply with it later..

• Like 5

Ha! rear engined Skodas

23 minutes ago, alastairq said:

I wouldn't go as far as 'hate'....in fact, quite the opposite!

But some of us do have a healthy quota of realism....   :)

On the 'mendable' front, like Land Rovers, I also suggest the old rear-engined Skodas?  {Don't know enough about the even older front-engined, rear drive Skodas...such as the proper Octavia [not the Passsatt lookalike!]....

These cars could all be mended anywhere....I have performed engine overhauls in a car park! Every component could be dismantled [if it ceased to function], and mended. Everything was done up with nuts, bolts and screws.

If something was completely effffed, then it could be replaced with something else that performed the same function.....regardless of what that item came out of.

They were designed to be so....repairable.....appropriate given their 'home' markets, and the conditions that prevailed.....Repairable without the need for clinical workshop facilities.

Ha!..rear engined Skodas..I had one fairly briefly many years ago , cost me 50 quid with a years ticket, the gear change linkage was a POS and remember it got stuck in 2nd on some outing or other...but as you say, fixable/ bodgeable with bits of wire etc..

I got my 50 quid back for it ultimately, from a Skoda dealer/breaker when I'd finished with it so all good! 

One of these, tho blue in this case...

std_85_skoda_120_ls.jpg

Edited by Porkscratching
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2019 at 10:48, boxbrownie said:

Its the old adage........if you want to drive into the “bush” use a Land Rover, if you want to drive back again use a Toyota.......:D

And the Toyota needs the Land Rover to extract it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MJI said:

And the Toyota needs the Land Rover to extract it!

A chap I do some buildings work for has a Toyota 4x4, probably a third the age of my LR...the Toyota , tho still usable, has loads of electrical problems now, as yet unsolved...I'll stick with me olde points ignition and not much else, ta!...;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

Ha! rear engined Skodas

Ha!..rear engined Skodas..I had one fairly briefly many years ago , cost me 50 quid with a years ticket, the gear change linkage was a POS and remember it got stuck in 2nd on some outing or other...but as you say, fixable/ bodgeable with bits of wire etc..

I got my 50 quid back for it ultimately, from a Skoda dealer/breaker when I'd finished with it so all good! 

One of these, tho blue in this case...

std_85_skoda_120_ls.jpg

Wife had one for six months whilst the Dutton had its winter hibernation. Absolute hoot in the snow, even today I would back against most SUV to get children to school. Just needed a bag or two of sand in the front to help the steering.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Nice clip here of the Paddock parade at last year's Le Mans Classic : E-Types, MGBs, Big Healey, Porsche 911s and 908s, Ferrari 250GTO and 275GTBs, Cobras, GT40s and no less than five Bizzarrini 5300s, rare enough beasts as they are but two of them are RHD... turn the volume up a bit and enjoy...!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+ac+cobra+LE+MANS&&view=detail&mid=057DF9145AAD8245D4C1057DF9145AAD8245D4C1&&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

My experience of Toyotas over the years is that they are extremely reliable. I once bought a 1989 Series 60 at auction for £1000 for a few weeks’ pipeline work, and ran it for 3 years, racking up at least 10,000 miles in the time, towing trailers and compressors at times, driving on site haul roads in S Wales and on “Land Rover roads” in the Dales; on one occasion stuffing it to the roof with Scouts camping gear and driving to Edale....

I used to look under the bonnet about twice a year to check the oil. It was noisy and rough-riding, the vacuum-operated 4WD selector would come in with a quite alarming BANG and the handling could be disconcertingly vague much past 60mph - but surprisingly fast. I wouldn’t attempt any of that with a Land Rover. 

The Hilux was also a tremendous piece of kit, you could give them to Nigerian welders, Russian pipeline hands or even Jeremy Clarkson and the thing would still go. Horrible to drive, but that wasn’t really the point. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Most east European cars were designed for home maintenance. A colleague had a Lada Riva that came with enough tools to do a complete engine overhaul.

I’ve had experience of the Lada Niva 4x4, a remarkably capable vehicle apart from its general lack of usable load space. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, doilum said:

Wife had one for six months whilst the Dutton had its winter hibernation. Absolute hoot in the snow, even today I would back against most SUV to get children to school. Just needed a bag or two of sand in the front to help the steering.

found a footlong length of flatbottom rail kept the front of mine well and truley stuck to the road on corners .

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

A chap I do some buildings work for has a Toyota 4x4, probably a third the age of my LR...the Toyota , tho still usable, has loads of electrical problems now, as yet unsolved...I'll stick with me olde points ignition and not much else, ta!...;)

Oddly, upon the farm there is not a LR in sight, until we turn up to visit......lined up a Navara, L200 and a Mitsubishi something or other, all encrusted with dirt ( well all except the Navara which is a special all black, wide wheels, tinted glass thingy, that’s my Daughter for you:lol:).

Dont get me wrong....we have had several LR.....just sold the last FFRR to change it for a Freelander (easier around the lanes here in Cornwall), but to be honest the LR are always a bit, shall we say....er......sensitive ;)

I love my Landrovers, but for work..... :excl:......good job I am now retired.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

One for the mini fans, a friend of mine last week asked for some muscle to recover a mini van shell that he had bought from a local house. Expecting it to requiring a push to get it on a trailer I volunteered to help. What I hadn't appreciated was when he said shell, he meant shell i.e. no wheels!:

20190330_090233.jpg.00be3576fda930e1b1130e59c11bb040.jpgApparently Mini Van's are getting scares so it is worth him doing this one up (all the bits were in the garage and he has those as well). We lifted it on to a trailer for transport and even his friend who loaned the trailer asked him which scrap yard to take it to as it is extremely rotten but my friend is a mechanic and likes welding. Apparently some of the floor panels are the same as the car version and can be obtained new which is a good job as part of the floor dropped out while being lifted.

20190330_091915.jpg.cc151b90fd9a46be2b8f99816dc6508f.jpg

The back floor isn't much better:

20190330_092018.jpg.66fa663c6cce698cb155d51c447b051c.jpg

Rather him than me....

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Oddly, upon the farm there is not a LR in sight, until we turn up to visit......lined up a Navara, L200 and a Mitsubishi something or other, all encrusted with dirt ( well all except the Navara which is a special all black, wide wheels, tinted glass thingy, that’s my Daughter for you:lol:).

Dont get me wrong....we have had several LR.....just sold the last FFRR to change it for a Freelander (easier around the lanes here in Cornwall), but to be honest the LR are always a bit, shall we say....er......sensitive ;)

I love my Landrovers, but for work..... :excl:......good job I am now retired.

I am with you in that respect, love it but the sodding thing won't stop leaking oil...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

29 minutes ago, 37114 said:

One for the mini fans, a friend of mine last week asked for some muscle to recover a mini van shell that he had bought from a local house. Expecting it to requiring a push to get it on a trailer I volunteered to help. What I hadn't appreciated was when he said shell, he meant shell i.e. no wheels!:

20190330_090233.jpg.00be3576fda930e1b1130e59c11bb040.jpgApparently Mini Van's are getting scares so it is worth him doing this one up (all the bits were in the garage and he has those as well). We lifted it on to a trailer for transport and even his friend who loaned the trailer asked him which scrap yard to take it to as it is extremely rotten but my friend is a mechanic and likes welding. Apparently some of the floor panels are the same as the car version and can be obtained new which is a good job as part of the floor dropped out while being lifted.

20190330_091915.jpg.cc151b90fd9a46be2b8f99816dc6508f.jpg

The back floor isn't much better:

20190330_092018.jpg.66fa663c6cce698cb155d51c447b051c.jpg

Rather him than me....

At least it won't need an MOT anymore;)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, rockershovel said:

The Hilux was also a tremendous piece of kit, you could give them to Nigerian welders, Russian pipeline hands or even Jeremy Clarkson and the thing would still go. Horrible to drive, but that wasn’t really the point. 

https://topgear.fandom.com/wiki/The_Smashed_Hilux

Edited by polybear
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Or tax.... Insure it and it is on paper road legal.

it's over 40 years old, no tax to pay, nor is an MOT required..

• Like 2

Being a bit pedantic but you still have to "tax" it even though you won't pay any money otherwise you can still get fined for it not being registered for use on the road (no tax!)...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1