The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

The VSCC and VMCC originally used definitions of “vintage” and “classic” to mean exactly that; vehicles of particular merit, defining the type, or something of the sort. They were primarily sporting and racing clubs, and the idea that ANY car or bike of a certain age was “vintage” or “classic” didn’t really exist. That came much later. 

I owned an Austin Maxi in the mid-80s. It was cheap to buy, more reliable than most contemporary British cars, a good workhorse with plenty of space and a reasonable turn of speed; it had the yellow-beige paint which was rather nasty, a rather vague gearchange and good seats. 

But a “classic”? Never in life. It was dated and under-developed, unremarkable and unexciting. I didn’t grieve for it when I sold it, and it doesn’t worry me that of the 472,000 built, only 159 are left ..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2019 at 12:43, alastairq said:

Renault 12 was built under licence in Turkey [as well as elsewhere...a true World-car]....apparently up until the turn of the century...so would appear to be a popular vehicle in Cyprus? [Made by Oyak-Renault].....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_12

Certainly a fine car....overall [In France, I believe they were known as the 'Hair-do's?']

Apologies for the poor phone camera picture. There are some LHD examples kicking about but most of then are RHD so presumably made for here.  No doubt there would be a Renault dealer knocking them out on the Island pre 1974.

20190225_133157.jpg

Edited by chriswright03
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

memories....mine was the same as this.

549470553_Regie12.PNG.f36d808940191cd6be055aabde78ad9b.PNG

Sorry I had to laugh.......the advertising agencies optimism at the Renault being a “romantic” image is stretching it a bit :lol:

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Sorry I had to laugh.......the advertising agencies optimism at the Renault being a “romantic” image is stretching it a bit :lol:

Possibly the same agency that handled the R25 account, with that gorgeously plummy-accented actress Rosalyn Landor? A lot less fun than Nicole and Papa on the Clio. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Possibly the same agency that handled the R25 account, with that gorgeously plummy-accented actress Rosalyn Landor? A lot less fun than Nicole and Papa on the Clio. 

Estelle Skornik (aka Nicole) may be lovely but she turned down a DUCATI - even if it was a 907, one of the less glamorous models - for a Renault Clio.  

Philistine.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

On 04/03/2019 at 19:11, Rugd1022 said:

Purloined from a poster over on Pistonheads, lovely 928 at a corker of a petrol station in Much Wenlock...

PH 928 Much Wenlock.jpg

That's been like that for the 30+ years we have lived down here. I do wonder if it's listed, if it isn't it certainly should be, there are very few ones like that left outside museums. Considering it's location (on the Bridgenorth/Shewsbury main road) the land alone must be worth a few bob...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Used to drive by it on the way to the the in-law's caravan at Hughley (we spent our honeymoon there in April snow!) Thanks for sharing that, brought back good memories. When the father in law died the 'van was sold and I've not been back to the area since, apart from one very drunken weekend spent at the Golden Lion Bridgnorth LOL

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For anyone interested in old petrol stations and your on Facebook check out the group "The golden years of the great British petrol station". Plenty of scenic modelling ideas there as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

That'll probably make the older "genuine" Morgans even more expensive. 

Will enthusiasts want them if fitted with FIAT engines?

They'll still all be genuine Morgans [unlike Mini et al?].....and FIAT engines were fitted before, in the 1970's.....

With Morgan, their biggest issue is suitable engine availability.....rather than who made them.

They even had a V8 Morgan just before WW2.....which was a Series 1 with a Ford flathead V8 in it.....as a try-out, one-off for, I believe, the daughter? [She had  a coupe built for her....higher doors, better hood, etc, as well]....Mr Morgan reckoned the V8 shot up the Morgan test hill outside Malvern, like hot snot! [Or, posh English equivalent?]

It fell by the wayside because Ford would not guarantee [or, even, sell?] Morgan a supply of engines.

Even Standard Triumph were reluctant to sell Morgan their 2 litre TR engines in the '50's, as the Morgan +4 was faster than the TR3, and cheaper to buy.

I am a long time Morgan fan [I once owned a series 1 4/4 4-seater, 1939 with Standard Special motor]...even if the current model range has been adapted to suit the 'new' clientele..[IE, Gucci handbags?}....rather than appealing to the sporting enthusiast.

{Now I drive, regularly, the ultimate classic Chiropractor...a Dellow Mk2}

• Like 4

It was a public road in the Malvern area.[ to Upper Wyche springs to mind?]

A steady climb, with which to evaluate a car's performance. IIRC, the Ford V8 [flathead] pleased Mr Morgan with its performance, tremendously.

Nothing is new, apparently.  :)

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:38, Jol Wilkinson said:

Saw a very clean 405 Saloon in white today, but not sure what model although it had the same wheels as the Exec. estate above.  The estate was a very usable car, as were the 305 and 505's.

Had three of them now, 2 petrol ones and now this TD exec.

Very well equipped, lovely comfy heated leather seats, A/c, cruise, ABS and roomy too. 

Just love the old beast.

• Like 2