The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

23 hours ago, chriswright03 said:

We have had more rain this year than anyone locally can recall for decades.  It is of course not freezing so we never have salted roads but we are by the sea.  I would say they are the most common of older cars here although you do see the odd old British cars as I have posted pictures of in the past.

Renault but I would presume as most of them are right hand drive they are pre the 74 invasion.  Cars from Turkey are left hand drive.

Renault 12 was built under licence in Turkey [as well as elsewhere...a true World-car]....apparently up until the turn of the century...so would appear to be a popular vehicle in Cyprus? [Made by Oyak-Renault].....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_12

Certainly a fine car....overall [In France, I believe they were known as the 'Hair-do's?']

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I recall attending a sprint event at the Old Church Lawford airfield (near Rugby )in the mid 1960s' where a D type took part. The owner was a RAF pilot IIRC and used it as a a road car. The suspension was so stiff that over of the rough bumps on the runway he shot up in his seat and ended up with his goggles under his chin.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Cooper update!

booked in for an MOT on Thursday this week, but at the same time the garage is going to fit new brakes all round (discs and pads) and while they have the car on the ramp with the wheels off they are going to fit a set of lowering springs and shocks I originally bought for the convertible, told them to keep hold of it and do it as and when they can fit it in between jobs as I’m in no huge rush to get it back this week

other things I’ve done to it are de-chromed the beltline between the windows and bodyside with special gloss sticky tape, compared to the fully blinged up red one the cooper is going the other way and having as little chrome as possible 

beltline done

A4E3FF1C-AA04-4EE5-B4D1-78663AE56D19.jpg

1D6F7FF1-F26C-4B20-84D2-638CD8C420CA.jpg

black door handles fitted 

5FDE47CB-119A-4793-89C1-5197DC5F4491.jpg

as you can see it has a single spotlight fitted, for that off a website called “wish” for £7, typical Chinese ‘knock off’ website, pictures show 2 lamps which is what I thought I was getting and after ordering I realised it was just a single lamp so ive ordered another which should be here his week (I will remove the single before the MOT anyway as it will fail if they are fitted and not working), tbh I ordered another twin set off eBay too so it should have 4 when I’m done with it, as I have a honeycomb grille they can be attached by simply running the bolt through the grille and securing from behind with a large washer.

the only bits of chrome I’m going to keep are the headlight surrounds (you can get them black but I don’t think they look right) and the S scuttle vents, also priced up getting the wheels refurbed and powder coated back at around the £250 mark including refitting and balancing tyres etc, although I am watching a set of identical wheels on eBay but already in black, the cooper badge and mini logos will also be going black too

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

Nice job Jim, but it's still not an old car...

Devil's advocate mode <off>

;)

I went to a classic car show on Sunday (with my rolling-resto '74 Triumph 1500), and was rather disappointed to see several cars there that were newer than my ('05) modern car!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Many of the run out Rover/MGs were around that time 04/54reg and they are now turning up in force. Also stuff like TVRs and similar. There was an original Mondeo at one show over the weekend, but having said that it was a '95 reg! There's also a magazine called "Modern Classics" which seems to concentrate on the performance versions of cars from the '80s onward rather than the bread and butter stuff... Some shows also do "modifieds" which allow in much newer stuff...

Whilst I think that some models of the MINI will probably become classics in due course I can't get my head round a current model range being clasified as either "old" or "classic"... Future classic maybe... 

Having said that there are many people around who don't regard the older "bread and butter" cars such as Maxis, Marinas, Allegros, Princesses and non-performance versions of the Ford and Vauxhall ranges of the 70s and 80s as classics either... 

One issue is that modern galvanising/rust proofing means that modern cars last much longer so stuff like 51/02 reg cars are still very common and there's an argument that to be a classic there should be some degree of "rareness" and not just "desirability"... Personally I am not really interested in stuff from about the mid 90s onward, they are not old  and there are still plenty around, but that's just my preferences, if i go to a classics show I like to see stuff from my youth and when I had a young family, not something I can still see out on the road where I live...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, big jim said:

its old, just not 'vintage' 

It appears, from observation, anything made before 1990 is 'vintage'.....regardless......irons, telly's, carpets, you name it....It also appear that to several new generations, the dinosaurs died out in 1972...

The VSCC must be tearing their communal hairs out with this usurpation of the concept of 'vintage'.....

• Like 1

I only really count something as vintage if it is 30 years old or unique/special (thats why things like Costworths were always considered classics even 15 years ago, as they were unique, as an example).

My '05 Mondeo is certainly not vintage. Old and a tank yes, vintage no. I will miss it mind when it finally has to go for scrap, but it has served well for what it is needed for (lugging stuff about).

I do rather miss driving a classic, even if the last one was a '74 Viva HC with barely enough power to keep itself moving, it was still lively enough to have some fun to it (the '64 HA was more fun, but less practical and got wiped out by a fence panel, horizontally (loose load) sadly). 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I think most places regard "vintage cars" as being pre 1930, the Vintage Sports Car Club says 1931... Though eBay would no doubt disagree!

According to one American club cars 25 to 50 years old are "classics" and older than that "antiques"! I do like the fact that in a few years time my P6 will be an antique! :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, alastairq said:

It appears, from observation, anything made before 1990 is 'vintage'.....regardless......irons, telly's, carpets, you name it....It also appear that to several new generations, the dinosaurs died out in 1972...

thats known as retro in our house, me included!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

24 to be exact, doesnt say how many are estates though

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/peugeot_405_executive_td

3 hours ago, Southern Steve said:

My old daily driver Peugeot 405 Executive TD Estate must be a nearly classic, not many left now!

rsz_imgp9980.jpg

Saw a very clean 405 Saloon in white today, but not sure what model although it had the same wheels as the Exec. estate above.  The estate was a very usable car, as were the 305 and 505's.

• Like 2

At the show over the weekend there was a Vauxhall Belmont and a Nova with a boot and on the other side of the field a Mk2 Cavalier. All three very rare cars these days, just like the 405.. I always like the looks of the 405, though I did think they improved it with the 406 which looked really nice...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Saw a very clean 405 Saloon in white today, but not sure what model although it had the same wheels as the Exec. estate above.  The estate was a very usable car, as were the 305 and 505's.

The Mi16 was the almost-within-reach car I lusted after for years. And here in France, about a decade ago, I saw a T16, the turbo version. 

• Like 3