The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, johnlambert said:

The BMW Dixi version of the Austin 7 also has its manifolds reversed, no idea about the engine internals. 

Thanks to all who have responded on the subject.

I guess that would be to route the exhaust pipe to the offside of the car.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I guess that would be to route the exhaust pipe to the offside of the car.

It would be the nearside in Germany, the camshaft was also moved across. The change was because of the steering shaft which passed close to the engine block.

• Informative/Useful 1

The left foot clutch actuating lever was also sometimes mounted on the gearbox casing in a RHD car, another reason for the existence of RHD cars manufactured in LHD countries. After a while things stabilised so that the driver sat on the offside, but it was by no means universal for a long time. 

Switching designs mirror-image was quite common. The BSA Bantam motorcycle was produced in this fashion, to produce the usual British-style right-side gearchange, kickstart and exhaust. The Harley Davidson equivalent, being produced for a left hand drive country, kept its original configuration, as did the Suzuki and MZ derivatives. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, petethemole said:

The BMW Dixi played a significant role in the early development of pre-war Germany's armoured forces; they were used as dummy tanks on manouevres when they weren't allowed real ones by the Versailles Treaty: https://warisboring.com/nazi-germanys-panzer-corps-faked-it-til-it-made-it/

If the artillery guys could hit a little Austin 7 lookalike, they would have found Allied tanks an easy target.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

OMG, Renault 12 - my first car.  DS brown, and rust. Comfortable though, compared to what else you could buy for £80 at the time.  Never broke down.

Here an 1100/1300 spotted a couple of weeks ago in a car park in Kirk Michael, it is a flattering photo as there is quite a bit of rot in it.

20190126_122508.jpg.b09ab1561a0dadfcf010c2a6cf850008.jpg

That's a bit odd a mk3 on a G plate

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, russ p said:

That's a bit odd a mk3 on a G plate

It's the Isle of Man, they changed the letter every 999 numbers, the suffix letter didn't indicate the year.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Sorry guys. 

Any MAN, MN or *MN plate has no hard age related data associated with it.  People tend to keep MAN numbers or good numbers on successive vehicles, (I have MAN 5381 on my camper) too which mixes things up.  Current issue is NMN 123 X, about to run out so OMN is next - yes we use O here - and U!  Mrs NHN has two little Hondas H 250 MAN and U 250 MAN, confuses visitors when they see them together…..

763847335_P1020203(Small).JPG.9a2b5e0f7e7cf195409cd0c2079e37d3.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, big jim said:

check this pic out from “the Woodhead route” twitter feed

What’s the first car? I’m thinking a Datsun of some sort (click on the picture to see the whole thing)

as i said on the FB thread this first appeared on think its a nissan/datsun after it was miss identfied as a viva ! further though is that its a datsun crown ? theyre equvilant of the cortina at the time 

• Agree 1

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:00, johnlambert said:

I'll try and commit that bit of trivia to memory.

I had a feeling competition cars were different and the Maserati 250F of the 1950s had the centre throttle. 

http://www.grandprixhistory.org/mas250.htm

That is quite true, when Stirling Moss drove the 250F's he had them changed from centre to rh throttle

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2019 at 17:08, Northmoor said:

Amongst the fondly remembered cars in that photo, the Austin 1100/1300, Triumph 2000, Moggy Traveller, VW Camper, Rover P5 Coupe and my personal favourite, the Dolomite bottom left (my first car was a brown 1850).  There's a Renault 12 estate which must be incredibly rare in the UK now (probably with good reason) and I think the light green car in the front row, slightly left of centre is a Renault 6.  Can't remember when I last saw one of those?

The less said about all those Vauxhall Vivas, the better.......

Renault 12 may well be rare in the UK but here in North Cyprus they are common and everyone and their dog seems to have either the saloon or the estate.  Also the 9 exists in very large numbers.  I will post a few pictures later but even the locals can't kill the bloody things off!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You sure that’s not a Hillman Avenger?

Grill and bonnet badge in the correct position.....

Although the waist line looks a little “straight” it could be perspective foreshortening.........bit of a puzzler.

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, chriswright03 said:

Renault 12 may well be rare in the UK but here in North Cyprus they are common and everyone and their dog seems to have either the saloon or the estate.  Also the 9 exists in very large numbers.  I will post a few pictures later but even the locals can't kill the bloody things off!

If you had English rain there the story would be different :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, chriswright03 said:

Are they Renault or Dacia? ISTR Dacia’s early production was the 12. 

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, big jim said:

check this pic out from “the Woodhead route” twitter feed

What’s the first car? I’m thinking a Datsun of some sort (click on the picture to see the whole thing)

First one  is a Datsun 180B followed by a Mk1 Cavvy

John

Edited by Two_sugars

5 hours ago, peanuts said:

as i said on the FB thread this first appeared on think its a nissan/datsun after it was miss identfied as a viva ! further though is that its a datsun crown ? theyre equvilant of the cortina at the time 

Definitely Japanese. 2 door coupe of some sort.

steve

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

We have had more rain this year than anyone locally can recall for decades.  It is of course not freezing so we never have salted roads but we are by the sea.  I would say they are the most common of older cars here although you do see the odd old British cars as I have posted pictures of in the past.

46 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Are they Renault or Dacia? ISTR Dacia’s early production was the 12. 

Renault but I would presume as most of them are right hand drive they are pre the 74 invasion.  Cars from Turkey are left hand drive.

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Edited by chriswright03
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1