The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Stolen borrowed from facebook.  Just cos I know some of you have a fetish for the French weird stuff. :O

Used to carry newspapers across Europe in the days of physical paper, could carry 1 metric tonne at 110mph. This one was believed to do the Frankfurt to Rome run overnight in around 10hours

post-6685-0-17443500-1547305104.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Crikey! That's some vehicle. A Safari on steroids maybe?

Where's our Citroen expert when we need him?

steve

Is he coming back?

Sadly he has well and truly blotted his copybook and is unlikely to return anytime soon.

• RMweb Premium

Stolen borrowed from facebook.  Just cos I know some of you have a fetish for the French weird stuff. :O

attachicon.gifCitroen.jpg

They produced something similar based on a DS but with a plain van body that was used for distributing newspapers in Paris. It was not a success by all accounts being too long and unwieldy for Paris traffic.

Suffix J reg was August 1970 to July 1971, so definitely not 1960s, but could still be pre-decimalisation (Can't see any clues in that respect though).

Back then used cars from abroad were given a current year registration. Not sure exactly when they switched to an age related plate. I think there was an interim period when such cars would be given a Q plate. My guess is that present system of Q plates and age related registrations goes back to around 1985.

• Like 1

While these days you can’t get a registration newer than the vehicle, it wasn’t thus then. My 1969 ex-Army landie had a 1982 plate - OGO465Y.

Nowadays one can get the date-of-manufacture recognised....and benefits taken advantage of with VED, etc.  A nearby chum with an ex-milllliterry LWB series L/Rover has managed to do this, with a lot of help from the lady at DVLA....and even had a refund of back tax. He ha also acquired exemption-from-MoT as well.....which is a different system....

They produced something similar based on a DS but with a plain van body that was used for distributing newspapers in Paris. It was not a success by all accounts being too long and unwieldy for Paris traffic.

They saw use taking British papers via the Shuttle to Paris, back in the early days. Someone also did a 'Beavertail' flat on a Ctiroen chassis, with twin back axles; I saw it several times at a garage jusr east of Troyes.

• Like 1

While these days you can’t get a registration newer than the vehicle, it wasn’t thus then. My 1969 ex-Army landie had a 1982 plate - OGO465Y.

And Manx registrations got a few years ahead of mainland registrations owing to insufficient suffixes being allocated to the island, meaning new year letters had to be started whenever the suffixes ran out!

Nowadays one can get the date-of-manufacture recognised....and benefits taken advantage of with VED, etc.  A nearby chum with an ex-milllliterry LWB series L/Rover has managed to do this, with a lot of help from the lady at DVLA....and even had a refund of back tax. He ha also acquired exemption-from-MoT as well.....which is a different system....

Soldiers serving in Germany could order a new rhd car and when they returned to the UK have it on the latest registration. Maximum kerb appeal.

My Dutton was delivered in 1979 and built from a 1968 Capri. The builder failed to keep the documents as he was determined to impress the neighbours with a brand new registration. By the time I acquired it as a never quite finished project in 1987 the rules had changed and I had to register it on a Q plate.

Pity. Had it used the Capri registration it would have become a tax free historic vehicle and might have seen a lot more use over the last 15 years or so. The upside however, is that it is correctly registered as a Dutton and thus relatively future proof against the changing whims of dvla.

• Like 2