The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

In the photo from the film, with the Alfa head-on, Afro-haired driver, and passenger with a fag in his gob - what is the rather "boxy" vehicle on the left - which appears to have a Fiat bar-badge on the front?

It's one of the original Fiat Multipla's from the 60's I think.

There's usually a few at the Goodwood Revival.

• RMweb Premium

had these pop up on the portfolio of a model im planning on working with soon think both models are rather lovely and dont worry its safe shes got clothes on 

https://purpleport.com/portfolio/jojo1/image/4383683/model/

https://purpleport.com/portfolio/jojo1/image/4382103/model/

https://purpleport.com/portfolio/jojo1/image/4381308/model/

Great pics, the models dress, hair and even make up are in keeping.

Perhaps not up to the standard of many of the cars mentioned in this thread, but back in 1975 this was my "supercar". Purchased new on the 1st August 1975 from Hyde Abbey Motors in Winchester, it was a standard Ford 2000E Mk3 Cortina Estate - it soon became my station hack (my wife had her own car). I decided it needed a bit more grunt, and approached Jeff Uren who had produced the 3-litre Cortina Savage - originally in Mk2 form, but there were a few Mk3's. He said he no longer had the parts, and didn't seem too interested. So I contacted Mike & John Young in Ilford,Essex (they used to race 1650 105E Anglia's under the "Superspeed" banner). They just said yes we can do it. I wanted a 3-litre V6 Essex engine, and not the newer 2.8 V6.  They asked if I wanted four or five speed gearbox - they confirmed the 5-speed could be fitted, which was not what many of the motoring mags. said (Triple C) - so I went with the 5-speed box, Bilstein gas shockers, up-rated springs all round, and up-rated brakes. Prior to the conversion the car under went a bare metal respray (same colour as original - Arizona Gold). It also had a modified exhaust, but only a single tail-pipe. All the badges was discretely replaced - a red 3000E tailgate badge from a Ford Capri, and front wing 3000 V6 shields from a Ford Granada. With the modified exhaust the engine produced about 150bhp - up from the standard 138bhp - I had the car set up on a rolling road. It surprised "many" at the traffic light GP. I had intended to fit the Rallysport triple Weber kit (200bhp), but was told(!) I'd spent enough on the car. Some years later it was stolen from Basingstoke Station car park - "don't worry Sir, we lose a Ford every Wednesday - it will be in Reading on Friday afternoon - and it was - someone had removed the wheels and lit a fire on the front passenger seat. We got it home, and managed to replace all the damaged parts from "Cortinaland" in Woolwich. It was never the same so I sold it. It appeared in Autotrader a couple of years later - it was still local, and needed some TLC, they wanted £150 for it, but the wife said "don't even think about it". About a year later someone from Blandford Forum rang to say they had the car and were restoring it. It really was a "Wolf in sheeps clothing".

44854637082_89bed949f5_t.jpgIMG_0307 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 10

The one jarring 'objection' I have, when film companies make use of old, 'period' cars & stuff as background, is that, in many cases, the  old cars  stuff are really 'over clean', and actually don't look 'used'......?

As a comparison, looking at the photos [often, thankfully, displayed on this thread].....taken 'back in the day'.....the cars & stuff look 'used'.....They seem to 'blend in'...whereas the [sometimes only occasional?] older , 'classic' vehicle in many productions really doesn't actually blend in at all.

But maybe it's just me?

Bearing in mind that many period vehicles for film and TV work are found via owner's clubs it's no surprise that those they're offered are in good nick. There are private companies who hire stuff out too, some of their vehicles do tend to get bashed about a bit and some are quite awful close up, for example the white Series 1 XJ6 used in 'The Bank Job' a few years ago was sold on pretty quickly and had white paint directly on top of the rusty sills!

I've found that Stockholm 356C !  Here is an ad for a 1962 Porsche 356 'Notchback' Coupe for sale in Monterey, CA. I've never actually seen one in the flesh

post-21705-0-06653000-1539555396.jpg

An academic colleague in Capetown had a genuine delicately rorty 356 roadster which he used to frighten me in while driving around the back of Table Mountain after a hard days work out on the Cape Flats some years back.

Those 1960s Fiat Multiplias used to be very common as taxis in Italian cities in the era when the Carabinieri posed around in box-on-box Alfas

post-21705-0-28769400-1539560265.jpg

dh

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

More like 1950's Multiplas.....?

I remember seeing a lot on various visits to italy in the late 1960's,,battered, mostly, somewhat.

The original people's cheapo people carrier? Really they do pre-date all the modern, new, categories of motor car?

When I was a lad (stop laughing at the back now) one of our neighbours had a Thames E83W Utilicon. All the seats in the back folded into the floor which is better than modern people carriers where you have to remove the seats altogether to make a loadspace.

• Like 1

It is and it isn't. We had a Roomster for three years with the removable seats. The advantage that had was that we could remove the middle rear seat and slide the others across, a lot easier than if they fold into the floor. I assume there must be a reason for the lack of folding seats, I'm guessing but perhaps it's due to the construction of the seats for safety reasons, an individual seat would be a lot stronger than a folder. Look at the old hatchbacks where the (removable) rear parcel shelf often stopped the split rear seat back from leaning backwards doe to their flimsy nature! Cracking design, that Roomster, shame they don't make it any more...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is and it isn't. We had a Roomster for three years with the removable seats. The advantage that had was that we could remove the middle rear seat and slide the others across, a lot easier than if they fold into the floor. I assume there must be a reason for the lack of folding seats, I'm guessing but perhaps it's due to the construction of the seats for safety reasons, an individual seat would be a lot stronger than a folder. Look at the old hatchbacks where the (removable) rear parcel shelf often stopped the split rear seat back from leaning backwards doe to their flimsy nature! Cracking design, that Roomster, shame they don't make it any more...

Not only the construction of the seats but such things as safety belts.

Thanks, Guys, for the info on  the Multiplas  - I've never seen one of those early ones , but have seen the more "modern" versions - I was intrigued by the forward opening front doors - they look really odd when compared to modern motors 

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

https://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/articles-and-resources/all-articles/2015/02/18/fiat-600-multipla

The use of suicide doors possibly makes entry and exit much easier, without having to fold one's legs in three.....like modern cars?

Obviously ideal vehicle for curing  a propensity for tailgating?  :)

https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/fiat-600-multipla-1955.html#aeng_fiat-600-multipla-1955-06FIAT-600-Multipla-2342_18.jpg

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 2

IIRC Fiat persisted with suicide doors on the "normal" 600 and possibly 500 until quite late too. Open to correction on that though as my memory's not what it was.

On Multiplas, the first one I ever saw was displayed prominently in the breakers yard that used to be visible (maybe still is, for all I know) on the east side of the A38 between Bridgwater and Taunton. That would have been in the late 70s.

I believe the rear compartment was designed so a full sized 1950s pram could be wheeled in through the side door.

The 600 engine must have had to work a bit to shift a laden Multipla. An uncle had a regular Fiat 600 which Dad always reckoned was painfully slow compared to his own NSU Prinz 30.

• Like 1

I've found that Stockholm 356C !  Here is an ad for a 1962 Porsche 356 'Notchback' Coupe for sale in Monterey, CA. I've never actually seen one in the flesh

attachicon.gif356C.jpg

An academic colleague in Capetown had a genuine delicately rorty 356 roadster which he used to frighten me in while driving around the back of Table Mountain after a hard days work out on the Cape Flats some years back.

Those 1960s Fiat Multiplias used to be very common as taxis in Italian cities in the era when the Carabinieri posed around in box-on-box Alfas

attachicon.gifcarabinieri alfa gulia.jpg

dh

I've just remembered, during one of my frequent trawls of old car stuff on youtube I found a video of one of the 'Luftgekelte' (air cooled) meetimgs in sunny California, I'm sure there was a silver 356 Notchback in it. The variety of cars in this fifteen minute clip was staggering, no two Porkers of the same type seemed to be alike.

The looks of the Alfa Giulia Berlina are quite something, I think they look fantastic in the flesh, on my last visit to the Alfa dealer in Nuneaton there was a metallic brown one in the service department's car park, it looked rather special, and very different to the brand new Giulia QF sat next to it. Who remembers the olive green Carabinieri Giulia being taking a swim in the river in Turin in 'the Italian Job'...?

• Like 1

https://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/articles-and-resources/all-articles/2015/02/18/fiat-600-multipla

The use of suicide doors possibly makes entry and exit much easier, without having to fold one's legs in three.....like modern cars?

Obviously ideal vehicle for curing  a propensity for tailgating?  :)

https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/fiat-600-multipla-1955.html#aeng_fiat-600-multipla-1955-06FIAT-600-Multipla-2342_18.jpg

Rather partial to period paraphenalia like the Multipla brochure, I found these images on pinterest yesterday...

AGIP is I suppose Italy's version of Shell or BP...

post-7638-0-62073700-1539603584_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-25261000-1539603637.jpg

post-7638-0-68991900-1539603678.jpg

post-7638-0-33598900-1539603713.jpg

post-7638-0-05839200-1539603770.jpg

post-7638-0-43502100-1539603801.jpg

post-7638-0-73785800-1539603826.jpg

post-7638-0-59668200-1539603864.jpg

post-7638-0-04204000-1539603940.jpg

Bonus Maserati Sebring...

post-7638-0-20073800-1539603985.jpg

• Like 11

AGIP was the Italian State-owned oil producer & retailer. Used to see the logo everywhere.....

AFAIK,  BP hasn't been 'State' owned [although the State may have had a shareholding?]......Used to be APOC.......found the oil in Iran.

My Grandpappy used to work for Esso, & had him living at one time or another, in France, Netherlands, UK, not forgetting Canada [for whom he fought during WW1, joining PPCLI!].....interesting looking up its history.....plus the tie-up with Tesco?

The 3 daughters [obviously, one of whom was my Mum!] could speak French, & Dutch as their first languages....but my Grandmother could only speak English......which apparently resulted in the siblings being able to communicate with each other.....but my Gran not being able to understand a word!!!  :)

Knowing my Gran as I did  in my younger days, I can fully sympathise with my Aunts' wanting to keep a certain nose out of things....

• Like 1

Strangely enough I spent a an hour's insomnia a week or so ago writing what I recall about childhood life as a Shell-BP salesman's kid.

He'd sooner let the old Morris Cowley run out of petrol than fill up at an Esso station!

Agip Supercortemaggiore got a mention too.

You can find the post here if you are interested

dh

• Like 2

Strangely enough I spent a an hour's insomnia a week or so ago writing what I recall about childhood life as a Shell-BP salesman's kid.

He'd sooner let the old Morris Cowley run out of petrol than fill up at an Esso station!

Agip Supercortemaggiore got a mention too.

You can find the post here if you are interested

dh

Thanks DH - just read your earlier post.... I wonder why the AGIP dragon has six legs...?

post-7638-0-70949700-1539628370.jpg

Yet this version only has three...!

post-7638-0-75409200-1539628447.jpg

When was the last time a forecourt attendant checked your tyre pressures for you...?

post-7638-0-18675000-1539628550.jpg

post-7638-0-46545500-1539628570.jpg

Another recent find via pinterest, a nice selection of tin somewhere in Italy c.1969 / 70...

post-7638-0-39700100-1539628661_thumb.jpg

How's this for an oddity - an unusual looking AGIP mobile refuelling vehicle on an Alpine Rally somewhere... the Alfa Sprint Zagato would be worth a pretty penny or two now but it would be just as nice to see the fuelling truck at a show today...

post-7638-0-24666800-1539628805.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The AGIP animal is a fire breathing dog not a dragon. In fact it is based on the Tarantasio, a legendary creature who lived in Gerundo Lake. A sort of Italian Loch Ness monster that used to leave the lake to devour the local populace.

Another recent find via pinterest, a nice selection of tin somewhere in Italy c.1969 / 70...

attachicon.gifITALY 1960s.jpg

Interesting that the front two car are French and German [Citroen & NSU?}  :)

Edit [to save paper]....just had a gooogle of those street signs, as I only had a suspicion as to what they meant.

They are still used, it seems, and are parking instructions /restrictions  [even days on left, odd days on right].......and appear to be totally ignored by drivers, even back in the 1960's!

Whilst scanning through this page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Italy

I note that in Italy, there must be certain roads where they discourage truck racing.

Also, they seem to like the idea of railway engines racing?

Plus, the Italians seem to have mixed ideas as to what constitutes a level crossing?

If you think the UK rules & Regs are a nightmare, just imagine having to get all these Italian signs under your belt in one afternoon?

Those Piaggio [and others] 3 wheel trucks are an absolute pleasure to drive...in the narrow Italian streets....I reckon they would do well in London [and Manchester?].....being the maximum compulsory size for a commercial vehicle allowed..[banning white vans instantly...must be a good thing?]

In fact,I think we as a motoring nation have actually lost the plot [usually because of our egos?].....and the real answer to the congestion & pollution issues faced by those who insist on living in a major metropolitan area....lies with the Japanese, and their motoring rules?

If every car or van, used in London, area, for example, should be of the Kei dimensions and rules, then pollution, space, parking, and congestion would be sorted very quickly.

Edited by alastairq