The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Now here's something a bit different in Tesco's car park today - makes a change from the occasional Ferrari or Maser - and it's long time since I saw a real one of these. (finishing up as a truly major rebuild job after going somewhat astray at Becketts at Silverstone back in the late 1960s). Anyway this one is an ASM replica DBR which has been in the hands of its present owner for 12 years although he said he hasn't raced it for a couple of years as he's been racing his E Type instead; he's hoping to get this back on the track next year. Made a superb noise not only leaving the car park but heading away on the main road over 100 yards away.....

Presumably it had enough room for the shopping.

• RMweb Premium

Now here's something a bit different in Tesco's car park today - makes a change from the occasional Ferrari or Maser - and it's long time since I saw a real one of these. (finishing up as a truly major rebuild job after going somewhat astray at Becketts at Silverstone back in the late 1960s).  Anyway this one is an ASM replica DBR which has been in the hands of its present owner for 12 years although he said he hasn't raced it for a couple of years as he's been racing his E Type instead; he's hoping to get this back on the track next year.  Made a superb noise not only leaving the car park but heading away on the main road over 100 yards away.

attachicon.gifDSCF0630crrd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0631crrd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0632crrd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0633rd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0633cr2rd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0634.jpg

And more by luck than any sort of judgement I got my own car in one of the views and my daughter's car in another one - nothing fancy in either case of course.

That plus an E-Type?  I can really go off some people.......

• Like 1

How the firm that made the Miura could have progressed to the ridiculous, glitzy, medallion-man mobile eyesores of today remains a puzzle. But then, they made tractors before they made cars.

I agree Ian but there is one exception - from the rear the Aventador is a stunning piece of design in the flesh (well to me it is anyway). The later Huracan looks quite plain in comparison, but there's much more Audi input here than in the previous modern era Lamborghinis.

I almost wrote off one of my Rover P6s in Chiswick some years ago when a Lamborghini 400GT crossed my path at a roundabout, it looked absolutely stunning and I nearly went into the back of a large delivery van!

• Like 6

Ill never forget the first Muira I had dealings with back in the early 80's.

The owner complained he couldn't find any heater controls save the blower switch, which then only seemed to emit hot air, not much fun in August!

We eventually worked out the hot/ cold was worked by an old fashioned type central heating gate valve complete with a curvy round wheel located at the front of the sill!

So much for the so called super cars. They're so crude in many ways, but do look fabulous so I guess you put up with the shortcomings.

Even a Morris Minor had a cable controlled heater tap?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The owner complained he couldn't find any heater controls save the blower switch, which then only seemed to emit hot air, not much fun in August!

We eventually worked out the hot/ cold was worked by an old fashioned type central heating gate valve complete with a curvy round wheel located at the front of the sill!

So much for the so called super cars. They're so crude in many ways, but do look fabulous so I guess you put up with the shortcomings.

Only post 63 and 1098cc engines. All the 948 cars have what is effectively a screw down valve which looks like a gate valve, on the top of the head (and the earlier cars had a similar arrangement if a heater was fitted).

Driving around in minor with the screw valve leaves you with that choice, do you turn the heater off for summer, and have to stop to undo it when it gets cold, or run with the heater connected, and live with it? I choose the latter this year! (I will fit a cable one, but they seem to be out of stock at the minute...)

Andy G

Only post 63 and 1098cc engines. All the 948 cars have what is effectively a screw down valve which looks like a gate valve, on the top of the head (and the earlier cars had a similar arrangement if a heater was fitted).

Driving around in minor with the screw valve leaves you with that choice, do you turn the heater off for summer, and have to stop to undo it when it gets cold, or run with the heater connected, and live with it? I choose the latter this year! (I will fit a cable one, but they seem to be out of stock at the minute...)

Andy G

Spridgets are just the same, Even on our late model 1500 the heater tap is under the bonnet!

I worked on an old MM mInor once that had an after market heater kit. As it had no water pump, the heater water pump had to be moved off a bracket into engagement with the fan belt, a bit like an old fashioned dynamo on a push bike, when the driver needed warmth!

Edited by Southern Steve

As did the really early models with the side valve engine. Oh that I had kept my split screen convertible with the headlights in the grille!

• RMweb Premium

i

I recall peering thru' the window of a Ferrari (512?) many moons ago (20 years maybe?) and was somewhat put off by the self tappers securing the trim....

i

I recall peering thru' the window of a Ferrari (512?) many moons ago (20 years maybe?) and was somewhat put off by the self tappers securing the trim....

When the first Miuras were sold to customers in late '66 / early '67 most of them were returned straight back to the factory to have the interiors retrimmed, such was the 'quality' of fit and finish. These early cars also had a black anodised finish on the door frames which would rub off at the slightest touch, the factory soon got these problems in hand though.

The under dash 'hot water tap' was also present on the Lamborghini Espada, quite an odd feature on what was supposed to be 'Italy's Rolls Royce', it didn't seem to put buyers off though, the Espada was the firm's best seller until the Countach sales got into their stride in the late '70s and early '80s.

dont know if this has been discussed but just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which featured some wonderful period cars from a vintage Peugeot to benerdict cucmberpatch in a gorgeous pale green Citreon DS superb film with some fantastic acting 

• Like 3

^^^ Beautiful!

Some more Continental nostalgia, photographer unknown alas but what lovely images, all taken in 1970...

Innsbruck...

post-7638-0-97935800-1539510658_thumb.jpg

Mont Saint Michel...

post-7638-0-74080700-1539510701_thumb.jpg

Guess where...

post-7638-0-64064000-1539510757.jpg

Tyrol...

post-7638-0-38750800-1539510787_thumb.jpg

Stockholm...

post-7638-0-08639300-1539510808_thumb.jpg

I've just ordered another Italian crime flic from Amazon, not an older one this time but a more recent one made in 2010, it's set in the '70s and based on a true story of a kidnapping plot, of which there were many in Italy at the time, anyway the production team went to town on sourcing a large number of the right cars which must have taken some doing with lots of 'everyday' stuff amongst the executive BMWs etc...

post-7638-0-52379000-1539511176_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-94329800-1539511500_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-74259500-1539511607_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-32879900-1539511690_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-65541600-1539511731_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-20346600-1539511842_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-19737000-1539511870_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-36044100-1539511896_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-62909700-1539511920_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-02034400-1539512004_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

The one jarring 'objection' I have, when film companies make use of old, 'period' cars & stuff as background, is that, in many cases, the  old cars  stuff are really 'over clean', and actually don't look 'used'......?

As a comparison, looking at the photos [often, thankfully, displayed on this thread].....taken 'back in the day'.....the cars & stuff look 'used'.....They seem to 'blend in'...whereas the [sometimes only occasional?] older , 'classic' vehicle in many productions really doesn't actually blend in at all.

But maybe it's just me?

In post #9167 can I ask what is that graceful yellow ochre coloured car in that stunning Stockholm broadside pic?

It looks to have German bolt on wheels.

dh

It's a Porsche 356 Coupe, as far as I know the design of the bolt on wheels is partly down to the large hub / drum assembly on these cars.

Edited by Rugd1022

The porsche rear wheels are similar [in stud pattern] to earlier VW Beeeetle wheels. It is entirely possible the front hubs have been converted to disc brakes, possibly using later VW beeetle front hubs?

Agreed. That looks very much like a 12V Beetle wheel. Sacrilege now, but entirely sensible back then.

The one jarring 'objection' I have, when film companies make use of old, 'period' cars & stuff as background, is that, in many cases, the  old cars  stuff are really 'over clean', and actually don't look 'used'......?

As a comparison, looking at the photos [often, thankfully, displayed on this thread].....taken 'back in the day'.....the cars & stuff look 'used'.....They seem to 'blend in'...whereas the [sometimes only occasional?] older , 'classic' vehicle in many productions really doesn't actually blend in at all.

But maybe it's just me?

just watched tin star on Atlantic and theres a whole episode set in late 90s England featuring  an old cavalier as Tim Roths runabout  proper muddied up for the show 

• Like 1