The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

We had a Somerset in the mid-1980s- lovely amount of room inside, but underpowered for its weight (1200 cc engine, IIRC) Got through a few head gaskets, so eventually stripped her down- discovered that there were one right-hand and three left-hand con rods. Eventually got her back together, and ran her in by driving from Newcastle to Lyon at 30 mph. We thought we might try 50 on the way back, but thick fog meant we kept to about the same. She went to someone who knew a lot more about doing old cars up than we did; I did hear she'd been at a few shows. I wonder if she's still about (reg CBR 513) ?

Our day-to-day runabout was another A40, about fifteen years younger; an A40 Farina Mk2 Countryman.

CBR 513  is showing as used on a 2012 Toyota Hybrid (Prius?).

I have never understood the vanity of personal plates, especially with such a mundane vehicle.

Not all 'personal plates' are about vanity, plenty are of course but a large number of them have been passed down through families, the 'short' ones increasing in value with every year that passes, it's just the way it is. Been thinking about getting a cheap ageless or late '60s / early '70s suffix plate for the Jap Mini, if you pick one with an U, X or Y in it they're cheaper than most, as not that many people have these letters as initials in their name.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

Its a pity that the DVLA will not allow you to have a registration from a vehicle that was scrapped before the current records began. I would love to have the registration from my first car, 760 BUC.

I've been looking for my old man's plate that he had on a VW Beetle: VKN 952, but DVLA told me a long time ago that this plate had never returned to them, so it's likely the car was scrapped before reporting requirements changed.

CXI 1 to CXI 9999 was a Northern Ireland range of plates in the mid 1980s. Should be plenty around

Oddly enough, no. Not when I looked, anyway.

Fortunately there are one or two other "CX" variations that don't look too costly. Anyway something to re-examine once the gearbox is finally rebuilt....

• Like 1

Do you all trace the fate of old cars via 'Drive Archive' ? It came up with Unfortunately your search did not find any vehicles... after first a specific, then a general search.

The old family car I abused while dad was away at the war was a perpendicular Morris Cowley called George who chuffed "the Campbells are Coming Hrrmph Hrrmph" (noted by 'Aunty' Iris our neighbour) while warming up quietly after starting on the 'dynamotor'

His reg was GH 200 - of which I've no record; he must have rusted into the Essex marshes during the late 1950s.

One of my sons likes the idea of re-using an old family car reg with our initial; I far prefer trying to be un-noticable on the road (even to speed cameras)

dh 

• RMweb Premium

We had a Somerset in the mid-1980s- lovely amount of room inside, but underpowered for its weight (1200 cc engine, IIRC) Got through a few head gaskets, so eventually stripped her down- discovered that there were one right-hand and three left-hand con rods. Eventually got her back together, and ran her in by driving from Newcastle to Lyon at 30 mph. We thought we might try 50 on the way back, but thick fog meant we kept to about the same. She went to someone who knew a lot more about doing old cars up than we did; I did hear she'd been at a few shows. I wonder if she's still about (reg CBR 513) ?

Our day-to-day runabout was another A40, about fifteen years younger; an A40 Farina Mk2 Countryman.

1.2 B series - that is small!

Did you know a variant is still in production in India and that a UK variant finished mid 2000s?

Remember 89mm stroke

Developed into O series OHC engine

O gave us the M series 16v, T series turbo 16v, the Perkins Prima Diesel

The Perkins Prima gave us the L Series turbo Diesel

L series was developed into two designs

G series which is now in India and is rather advanced

TD5 which was made by Land Rover

So who is now planning a T series Somerset?

Do you all trace the fate of old cars via 'Drive Archive' ? It came up with Unfortunately your search did not find any vehicles... after first a specific, then a general search.

The old family car I abused while dad was away at the war was a perpendicular Morris Cowley called George who chuffed "the Campbells are Coming Hrrmph Hrrmph" (noted by 'Aunty' Iris our neighbour) while warming up quietly after starting on the 'dynamotor'

His reg was GH 200 - of which I've no record; he must have rusted into the Essex marshes during the late 1950s....

My former riding partner's late father once buried a life-expired Morris Minor in his garden. Neither of us have any idea whether it's still there, waiting to be exhumed...

• Like 1

1.2 B series - that is small!

Did you know a variant is still in production in India and that a UK variant finished mid 2000s?

Remember 89mm stroke

Developed into O series OHC engine

O gave us the M series 16v, T series turbo 16v, the Perkins Prima Diesel

The Perkins Prima gave us the L Series turbo Diesel

L series was developed into two designs

G series which is now in India and is rather advanced

TD5 which was made by Land Rover

So who is now planning a T series Somerset?

Somewhere, we have a photo of her on top of a hill in Beaujolais; we had to take it, otherwise no-one would believe we got there.

There was plenty of space under the bonnet for a much bigger engine, but I'd have wanted the brakes improving first; braking was somewhat capricious at times.

• Like 3

On the topic of plates.....I have worked for a few coach/bus companies, the owners of which made a point of acquiring relevant plates for the buses.....

Most common reasoning being.....folk who hire coaches more often than not, want to see the very latest registration coach turn up for their party.  This, despite the fact that a maybe 3 or 4 year old coach might have identical bodywork, trim, etc.

By putting a 'personal' plate on each bus, hirers could not tell whether a bus was new, or not quite so new.

Thereby stopping the bullshyte & boswellox.

The guide to secondhand cars in an old (c1959) copy of Practical Motorist I used to have reckoned the A40 Somerset's good roadholding and lively engine made it a "fast point-to-point car", which, even at the tender age of about 11, I thought was probably stretching it a bit, even in those (just) pre-Mini and Ford 105E days.

• RMweb Premium

My former riding partner's late father once buried a life-expired Morris Minor in his garden. Neither of us have any idea whether it's still there, waiting to be exhumed...

My father had cousins who buried a very early single cylinder Morgan 3-wheeler (pre WW1?) in their back garden. The house they were living in still exists in Oxlow Lane, Dagenham but before anyone gets too excited this was about 90 years ago.

Most common reasoning being.....folk who hire coaches more often than not, want to see the very latest registration coach turn up for their party.  This, despite the fact that a maybe 3 or 4 year old coach might have identical bodywork, trim, etc.

By putting a 'personal' plate on each bus, hirers could not tell whether a bus was new, or not quite so new.

Undertakers do the same thing; at one time many of their vehicles locally carried NI plates. Thus the family doesn't know the age of the vehicle.

Dave

• Like 1

My father had cousins who buried a very early single cylinder Morgan 3-wheeler (pre WW1?) in their back garden. The house they were living in still exists in Oxlow Lane, Dagenham but before anyone gets too excited this was about 90 years ago.

One of the cleaners at work was brought up in the house next door to us; he told me there was an Indian buried in an old cistern at the bottom of our garden. Not Crazy Horse or Hiawatha- rather, an ex-US Army despatch-rider's 'bike.

• RMweb Premium

CBR 513  is showing as used on a 2012 Toyota Hybrid (Prius?).

I have never understood the vanity of personal plates, especially with such a mundane vehicle.

When I finally had to part with my dear departed Rover 214Si (1993, wedge shape, 239K miles, owned from new) I tried to dream up all sorts of madcap ideas not to let go.  In the end the grim reaper got the upper hand; mind you the 2K scrappage trade in against an £11K car softened the blow somewhat :).  As a final gesture I did decide to retain the car reg though; it's not clever/special/my initials etc. etc. but just a keepsake from the Rover - it went onto the new car.  I also saved the car badges & horn button (with a Rover badge inset) to make up into a display plaque of some sort, someday.  Sad.

One of the cleaners at work was brought up in the house next door to us; he told me there was an Indian buried in an old cistern at the bottom of our garden. Not Crazy Horse or Hiawatha- rather, an ex-US Army despatch-rider's 'bike.

I'd be inclined to dig that up, on the off-chance that some parts may be salvageable.  Classic buffs go for Indians....

• Like 3

Shortly after WW2, my grandfather made one good Austin Seven out of two semi-derelict ones that only had four wheels between them!

Any leftover parts not deemed good enough for spares were buried in the garden when the air raid shelter was filled in.

Occasionally in the intervening period (my grandparents moved from the house c1982!), parts surfaced when my grandparents/father/uncle were digging the garden over, but well and truly rusted and no good to anyone.

• Like 1

227 King Street, Hammersmith, 1977... a Lada and VW Polo outside the Hampshire Hog, a boozer of ill repute at the time, much villainy occurred within according to members of my family, I used to live just round the corner, a few yards to the left in Cromwell Avenue, about a quarter of a mile up the road to the left at number 124 King Street was the old premises of Harold Radford Coachbuilders, by 1977 though it was a dealer of yank muscle cars...

post-7638-0-50618400-1538163079.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9

227 King Street, Hammersmith, 1977... a Lada and VW Polo outside the Hampshire Hog, a boozer of ill repute at the time, much villainy occurred within according to members of my family, I used to live just round the corner, a few yards to the left in Cromwell Avenue, about a quarter of a mile up the road to the left at number 124 King Street was the old premises of Harold Radford Coachbuilders, by 1977 though it was a dealer of yank muscle cars...

attachicon.gifLONDON HAMPSHIRE HOG 1977 227 King St.jpg

Is it a Lada or is it a Polski Fiat? Looks more like the latter to me.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifLONDON HAMPSHIRE HOG 1977 227 King St.jpg

ah the mk1 polo used the same mcpherson struts for the front and rear suspension once picked one up for £50 lasted 9 months before the cam snapped it seemed to cope admirably with some off the rougher dirt roads locally 

• Like 2