The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Am I the only one here wondering what it would be like to drive that fine looking Quad Tractor...? What a beast!

I would imagine , much like any other 4x4-capable truck of the era?   A couple of gear levers [main box, & transfer box?]...and if the registration details are correct, then a nice 3 1/2 litre inline GMC 6 pot petrol engine.  Probably a crash gearbox, so doubling the clutch gets smooth changes..oh...and no power steering. Also a PTO?

Oddly..if I've read the photo correctly, it is registered as a Chevrolet/GMC, yet it has a Ford grille...[wikipedia tells all] . Blame the Canadians for this one, I think?

Only an 8 foot 6 inch wheelbase, too

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 1

Hi Horsefan,

I know this car well as I did all the electrics on it!

You're right it has got some serious kit on it. Rear roof mounted a/c heater unit, remote start alarm, front and rear park sensors, rear and front facing .ameras, rear view mirror with built in sat nav and hands free fone. Plus other stuff I've forgotten about!

Here are a few of it in build. 

attachicon.gifIMGP8459.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP8470.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP8462.JPG

The toilet roll in the picture  - did you put in an en-suite as well ? :)

• Like 2

I would imagine , much like any other 4x4-capable truck of the era?   A couple of gear levers [main box, & transfer box?]...and if the registration details are correct, then a nice 3 1/2 litre inline GMC 6 pot petrol engine.  Probably a crash gearbox, so doubling the clutch gets smooth changes..oh...and no power steering. Also a PTO?

Oddly..if I've read the photo correctly, it is registered as a Chevrolet/GMC, yet it has a Ford grille...[wikipedia tells all] . Blame the Canadians for this one, I think?

Only an 8 foot 6 inch wheelbase, too

When I started on land rigs in the 1970s, most of the smaller rigs around (often Failings of various rated sizes) dated from anywhere between the 1930s to 1950s, although given the periodic maintenance and upgrades there was a good deal of “grandfathers axe” involved. However the chassis were mostly original and predated the modern “fifth wheel” type, so companies like Foraky maintained ancient Diamond T and Scammel Pioneer prime movers as dedicated rig tractors.

I remember once moving a rig using a Mighty Antar, ex Pickfords I think..

• Like 4

Didn't seem to need it, though we did fit a higher output alternator!

Standard is 80A, so how much higher did you go?

Also had a starter relay added to help cranking.

After going up to a 74Ah battery, I don't seem to have the starting problems I had previously.

• RMweb Premium

One problem Phil is i'll need the tyres put on before i can ever drive it or get to take it for a MOT! All the ones i have are completely ker-nackered! I'll have to buy on line and then pay to have them fitted ....maybe i can buy one a month from now until xmas and then store them on top of the wardrobe :mosking:  Do you think swmbo will notice them? :blind:

Its not neccessary to take the whole vehicle to have tyres fitted, just the wheels. Also they have a mobile service where the tyres are fitted 'at home' but that costs extra.

Quite a tall guy, shall we say" flambouyant" if you get my drift?

Not so much flamboyant as chunky, but there were quite a few chunky individuals there.

post-6879-0-53473000-1536530232_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-53817800-1536530422_thumb.jpg

Same as you'd find going around a model railway show.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

We held our little annual car show yesterday, not many that had booked in bothered to turn up in the terrible wet weather 

We had a bit more luck with the weather at Atherstone, most of the day it was sunshine! I managed to miss the Lancaster which did a fly past but here's some of the cars courtesy of my daughter:

q31a2Gj.jpg

B9kQogw.jpg

jEMpxN5.jpg

TNEUN74.jpg

QRGSsy0.jpg

yB2X8hf.jpg

WlRNFKN.jpg

IuyUTjg.jpg

And yes, that last one is JET1!

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 16

What size tyres are you looking for?

Can you be bothered to convert to Datsun 13 inch wheels?

We've already half done it, and we've put two 13" rims on the back off a Daihatsu Matiz (PCD 114.3) which cost £10 each from the scrappy still fitted with good tyres but the wrong type of tyres...and they only had two! So any ideas on tyre sizes will be greatly received, i have two inches of clearance on the inside rear of the tyres to play with before their walls would rub on the leaf springs, the idea is to have a wider and more stable stance on the rear, so the wider i could get away with the better. New steel rims on fee-bay are £50 each ...so i'll keep trawling the scrappies for another two, the only prob' is the same 13" rims put on the front need one inch spacers putting behind them to stop the tyres from rubbing on the coil springs! Not sure if i could safely & legally these days leave the smaller original wheels on the front? Latest pic' before i sheet it over for the Winter, still needs a full exhaust and just to be safe a new or rebuilt rad'...and carb' and brake master cylinder and servo' and...and ...etc etc  :jester: We'll spend this Winter saving up and buying the bits, hopefully next Spring we can try and get back it together and motted! Sorry if its not considered a classic in the true sense but it is nearly 32 and swmbo loves it so what can i just a mere Man do! :angel:

post-31611-0-40060700-1536567706_thumb.jpg

13" Matiz steel rims on rear.

Exterior cosmetics all done and water tight now just in time for Winter.

post-31611-0-13220600-1536567760_thumb.jpg

My old Rav Mk1 door mirrors fit nicely! Next job is to wire them up to work!

post-31611-0-58644100-1536567903_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

We've already half done it, and we've put two 13" rims on the back off a Daihatsu Matiz (PCD 114.3) which cost £10 each from the scrappy still fitted with good tyres but the wrong type of tyres...and they only had two! So any ideas on tyre sizes will be greatly received, i have two inches of clearance on the inside rear of the tyres to play with before their walls would rub on the leaf springs, the idea is to have a wider and more stable stance on the rear, so the wider i could get away with the better. New steel rims on fee-bay are £50 each ...so i'll keep trawling the scrappies for another two, the only prob' is the same 13" rims put on the front need one inch spacers putting behind them to stop the tyres from rubbing on the coil springs! Not sure if i could safely & legally these days leave the smaller original wheels on the front? Latest pic' before i sheet it over for the Winter, still needs a full exhaust and just to be safe a new or rebuilt rad'...and carb' and brake master cylinder and servo' and...and ...etc etc  :jester: We'll spend this Winter saving up and buying the bits, hopefully next Spring we can try and get back it together and motted! Sorry if its not considered a classic in the true sense but it is nearly 32 and swmbo loves it so what can i just a mere Man do! :angel:

attachicon.gif2011-07-13 22.26.21.jpg

13" Matiz steel rims on rear.

Exterior cosmetics all done and water tight now just in time for Winter.

attachicon.gif2011-07-13 22.26.39.jpg

My old Rav Mk1 door mirrors fit nicely! Next job is to wire them up to work!

attachicon.gif2011-05-18 03.54.00.jpg

I see you've yet to refit the windscreen wipers. I once had a Vauxhall Rascal and a vital part of the wiper mechanism fell out and it was neccessary to remove the dashboard to put it back together. If you have to remove the dash to wire up the door mirrors it might be an idea to do both jobs while the dash is out. If you have fitted larger wheels it would have altered the gear ratio so you might have to have the speedo re-calibrated.