The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

That was continued on the Routemaster buses as they replaced the trolleybuses and many of the drivers were ex trolleybus drivers.

That must have ended...when? 

When I drove for London Transport, the RMs had a conventional pedal layout [there were only two of them. Pedals, that is]....[1972-4]

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 1

Hmmmm! If the driver owned that motor, he would hardly be 'poor'....

Can't afford to be poor in Switzerland, although the Swiss "poor" is probably* still richer than "our" poor.

Mind, he possibly couldn't stretch to a watch??  :)

Nothing so Mondaine….

*subject to fluctuations in living standards

I could be wrong here, but...didn't Alfa Romeo still use a central accelerator pedal into the 1950's?

You wouldn't want to forget which car you were driving. A bit like the old joke when one of the European countries decided to change from driving on the left hand side to the right. It was decided to phase it in gradually, so private vehicles would change one day and commercial vehicles the next.

The last meeting of the year at the Pub Paddock produced some real beauties

An Alvis 2.5L Tourer 1937

post-13586-0-75403700-1536322197_thumb.jpg

A GT40 rep 1996

post-13586-0-49201600-1536322354_thumb.jpg

A Jaguar SS100 1935 lovely car

post-13586-0-24595600-1536322427_thumb.jpg

A Lea Francis 1951

post-13586-0-70560900-1536322522_thumb.jpg

A Rolls Royce 1933

post-13586-0-17439200-1536322565_thumb.jpg

A rather nice Austin 7 special 1936

post-13586-0-61415100-1536322659_thumb.jpg

and for commercial fans a 1956 Fordson

post-13586-0-77139400-1536322984_thumb.jpg

no more meetings until next year but a very interesting season!

• Like 15

You wouldn't want to forget which car you were driving. A bit like the old joke when one of the European countries decided to change from driving on the left hand side to the right. It was decided to phase it in gradually, so private vehicles would change one day and commercial vehicles the next.

I thought it was Eire?

To align with EU policy, they were going to try moving cars over one year...and if that worked OK, move trucks and buses over the following year?

Mind, they did that in Sweden.....everything stopped at a certain time near midnight...then swapped sides of the road...waiting a bit, before carrying on. I should imagine it confused the hell out of the elks....

...Mind, they did that in Sweden.....everything stopped at a certain time near midnight...then swapped sides of the road...waiting a bit, before carrying on.....

I saw a film about that on YouTube. Interesting to note that a lot of the vehicles (especially the PSVs) were already LHD by that time.

• Like 1

Nothing so Mondaine….

Ho, Ho Ho.

I wonder if he still had a Breitling outlook on life as he TAGged that parking ticket from his windscreen. Don't suppose the fine was much of a pain in the Baume to someone that owns an Aston but wonder if he exclaimed Omegad on seeing the ticket. Bet he would never be seen driving a Swift Jaeger? That would be an even bigger pain in the Oris.

P (Ex collector of Swiss Mechanisms)

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That must have ended...when? 

When I drove for London Transport, the RMs had a conventional pedal layout [there were only two of them. Pedals, that is]....[1972-4]

I don't think it lasted all that long before they were changed to the normal arrangement.

I saw a film about that on YouTube. Interesting to note that a lot of the vehicles (especially the PSVs) were already LHD by that time.

Not all of them, a massive fleet of new buses had to be ordered including many from Leyland. A lot of Scania buses were disposed of in Ireland but they were not compatible with the then UK fitness regulations.

I don't think it lasted all that long before they were changed to the normal arrangement.

Not all of them, a massive fleet of new buses had to be ordered including many from Leyland. A lot of Scania buses were disposed of in Ireland but they were not compatible with the then UK fitness regulations.

I don't recall any ex Sweden buses turning up in Ireland after the change, a number did go to Pakistan, India, Kenya and possibly also South Africa.

As the Irish PSV regulations were framed around the UK COIF regs, the two were very similar in their requirements so it would be unusual for a bus to meet Irish regs but not the UK at that time. Up until the advent of vehicles built to EU directive 2001/ 85 and subsequently Whole Vehicle Type Approval, a vehicle exported to Ireland could be certified in Ireland using the UK COIF as evidence of initial compliance which made the inspection process much more straightforward and simplified the process of registering it.

Left hand drive buses, some with additional doors on the left side, entered service for a year or more prior to the change and a large number of right hand drive buses were retrofitted with doors on the right side in preparation. As these fell due for withdrawal, they too were exported or scrapped. Those LHD vehicles built with the left side doors had them removed afterwards.

• Like 2

I believe that a lot of vehicles were already LHD due to the general coming and going from their Scandinavian neighbours, it made no sense to persevere driving on the left as road freight traffic increased.

However I didn’t realise that Portugal, Italy, Hungary and Czechoslovakia only switched from left to right between 1928 and 1940. Apparently parts of Canada formerly drove on the left (those not connected to the US road network, mostly).

• RMweb Premium

I believe that a lot of vehicles were already LHD due to the general coming and going from their Scandinavian neighbours, it made no sense to persevere driving on the left as road freight traffic increased.

However I didn’t realise that Portugal, Italy, Hungary and Czechoslovakia only switched from left to right between 1928 and 1940. Apparently parts of Canada formerly drove on the left (those not connected to the US road network, mostly).

The old Austro-Hungarian empire drove on the left and that included Austria itself and Yugoslavia, the change was forced upon them by Hitler. The parts of Canada where the left hand rule applied were Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, Newfoundland didn't change over until 1948 when it became part of Canada.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting video about the change of sides to drive on at a border.  Scary or what?

https://www.facebook.com/reginaldodecampinas/videos/539489183166583/

Not many places where that happens now, only *Hong Kong and Macau come to mind. Mainland China also used to drive on the left until 1946 but the colonies retained the left hand rule. One might have thought that Macau being Portugese would have changed but when it was cut off from Maoist China most of its contact with the rest of the world was through Hong Kong. *There are some places in Indo-China and Africa where the change takes place at national boundries.

On my way to my caravan this afternoon I was confronted with a real blast from my past. Just turned out into a main road and coming towards me was a Morris 1100 mk2, not just any 1100. Pretty much identical to my first car, looking to be Snowberry white rather than Glacier white which followed on, I believe.

Seemed very original as well, looking a bit tatty around the edges, some rust on the rear arch and boy could they rust. G reg so a bit newer than mine which was an F, bought with a small inheritance from my grandparents, mine was quite badly rusted around the front subframe mountings when I traded it in at around 5 years old, shame really it was a lovely comfortable car.

• Like 5

On my way to my caravan this afternoon I was confronted with a real blast from my past. Just turned out into a main road and coming towards me was a Morris 1100 mk2, not just any 1100. Pretty much identical to my first car, looking to be Snowberry white rather than Glacier white which followed on, I believe.

Seemed very original as well, looking a bit tatty around the edges, some rust on the rear arch and boy could they rust. G reg so a bit newer than mine which was an F, bought with a small inheritance from my grandparents, mine was quite badly rusted around the front subframe mountings when I traded it in at around 5 years old, shame really it was a lovely comfortable car.

An 1100 was my first car too, in RAF blue/grey, with twin Strombergs (or S.U.'s, memory fading!) & a 6ft long fibreglass 'whip' radio aerial in the nearside rear wing! Bought in the early summer just after I passed my test, I thought it was the best car in the world! But when we started getting some rain the interior started to get a really damp, musty smell. Investigations showed that under the carpet the front passenger floor consisted of a piece of soggy plywood & a couple of damp Daily Mirrors...!!

I learnt a bit about buying cars from that....!!

Keith

Edited by keefr2
  • Like 2

An 1100 was my first car too, in RAF blue/grey, with twin Strombergs (or S.U.'s, memory fading!) & a 6ft long fibreglass 'whip' radio aerial in the nearside rear wing! Bought in the early summer just after I passed my test, I thought it was the best car in the world! But when we started getting some rain the interior started to get a really damp, musty smell. Investigations showed that under the carpet the front passenger floor consisted of a piece of soggy plywood & a couple of damp Daily Mirrors...!!

I learnt a bit about buying cars from that....!!

Keith

My dad had an 1100 in the RAF looking blue and mine had the almost obligatory, at the time, fibreglass aerial on the front wing. Useful for locating it in the car park after stock car meetings with a small flag at the top, still took ages to find when several of us went to one of the very few drag race meetings at RAF Fulbeck if I remember correctly. Car park area was dead flat and cars seemed to stretch for miles in all directions Edited by great central
  • Like 3