The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

outspan9.jpg

Hmmmm!

I wonder if Brian Waite enterprises is still going, in some form or another?

At least one Chinese car designer* has come up with something almost identical.

I take it the owners have a few quid.....

Tax efficient. Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another from Glen Fairweathers excellent photostream.

I wonder if those characters have been robbing a bank and plan to do away with Mrs. Lopsided?

33547873243_8cd3c404bb_b.jpgBuckingham Palace Road, London..undated...1950s? by Glen Fairweather, on Flickr

From the left, Morris MO van, Morris 10, AEC Regal IV BEA coach and a Vauxhall Velox. The Pantechnicon is possibly a Guy going by the shape of the radiator badge. The car on the right is a pre-war Ford 8 or 10 and looking over its shoulder on the horizon is that a Morgan?

• Like 2

Those clergymen look kind of familiar, perhaps they have appeared in newsreels etc.

All Gas And Gaiters?. 

I'm guessing they had no fear of being knocked over by an errand furniture van or the like, as unlike us mere mortals they must have had confidence that a higher entity was watching over them. They only had a few more steps to make before being safely inside Lambeth Palace.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Hard to believe the Citroen BX is considered an ‘interesting’ let alone ‘collectible’ car. We had one, C377 DUD. It was a BX19 RD estate. It had a bonkers digital revolving drum speedo. You had to take your eyes off the road for at least 5 seconds to work out how fast you were going. Non-cancelling indicators operated by a rocker switch on a binacle extension, not a stalk, which got disturbingly warm on a long journey.

• Like 1

Hard to believe the Citroen BX is considered an ‘interesting’ let alone ‘collectible’ car. We had one, C377 DUD. It was a BX19 RD estate. It had a bonkers digital revolving drum speedo. You had to take your eyes off the road for at least 5 seconds to work out how fast you were going. Non-cancelling indicators operated by a rocker switch on a binacle extension, not a stalk, which got disturbingly warm on a long journey.

Citroen always seemed to see a value in being different for the sake of being different. The “squash ball” clutch pedal would be a case in point, or the “beer can” control pod covered in switches and buttons which afflicted some models.

Edited by rockershovel

Ever driven a Ford Model T, or one of those pre-war cars with varying combinations of pedals? They all sort-of work... the 1916 Cadillac Model 53 introduced the “modern” layout, but it was the Austin 7 which popularised it.

Ever driven a Ford Model T, or one of those pre-war cars with varying combinations of pedals? They all sort-of work... the 1916 Cadillac Model 53 introduced the “modern” layout, but it was the Austin 7 which popularised it.

I could be wrong here, but...didn't Alfa Romeo still use a central accelerator pedal into the 1950's?

• Like 1

Hard to believe the Citroen BX is considered an ‘interesting’ let alone ‘collectible’ car. ….. Non-cancelling indicators operated by a rocker switch on a binacle extension, not a stalk, which got disturbingly warm on a long journey.

BX had a lot of plastic body parts, I think, just like the AX. Yours was pre-1986 so had all the idiosyncratic instruments - they were done away with from about 1986 onwards. Collectible BXs tend to be the GTi and 16v, plus a 4x4 version which I've never seen. There was also a "Digit" edition with fully digital displays (a bit like the Renault 11 Electronic), but I think there's only one working one left in the UK now. BX turbo-diesel was the fastest in the UK until the CX version came along.

It was all in fingertip reach without taking your hands off the wheel. The satellite pods may have warmed up because they were illuminated (the CX didn't get lighted ones). The idea behind non-cancelling indicators was to make the driver think about what (s)he was doing and hence stay alert. The idea wouldn't work as well nowadays because drivers tend to be on their mobile phones.

Citroen always seemed to see a value in being different for the sake of being different. The “squash ball” clutch pedal would be a case in point, or the “beer can” control pod covered in switches and buttons which afflicted some models.

Squash ball was the brakes on a DS. Citroen brakes run off the LHM so are very sharp because highly-pressurised.

• Like 3

http://www.bristolsu.co.uk/Su/operatordetails/bristolomnibus/862rae.htm

862-RAE-SU0168.gif

I used to drive this bus, which seems to have been preserved, when I drove for Primrose Valley Coaches, [Filey], spring 1974.

When I drove it, the colour was still green-with-cream-stripe...as per Western National. perhaps?

It had an interesting gear change gate, with the map of the gate cast into the steel cab floor.

A 4-pot Albion engine, not a very 'strong' performer....which ensured the schoolkids it was primarily used for, got home a lot later than when other buses were used.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The same arrangement was on the pre-1948 Ford E83W vans, and was continued on the LH drive ones until production ceased c. 1958.

..... old men forget, in the words of the Immortal Bard.

My daughter has been sorting her mother’s photo collection (in the days before the internet, my good wife was a great keeper of photo albums, and I used to write sometimes quite lengthy letters accompanied by photos on my travels). She has a bookcase of photo albums covering the period roughly 1973 to 2001.

They reckon that at least forty different vehicles appear over that time, many of them company or business vehicles, some belonging to my late brother (we certainly drove each other’s cars sometimes, being in similar lines of work). She reminds me that in my land rig days, roughly 1976 to 1985, I would habitually buy a car over the winter, then sell it when I went back to work, sometimes more than once over a winter , and I would never persevere with any car that I didn’t like or which gave trouble (still don’t, but cars are more reliable now).

Her informs me that my recollection of motorcycles is usually quite good, but my recollection of cars tend to be compended of various similar vehicles over time, or different vehicles in the same context, or completely absent - just as I tend to remember employers, projects or locations, but often can’t identify countries (particularly in Africa, a place I’ve never cared for in the least, North or West).

She also reckons that most of my work colleagues are similar...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I can usually remember the registrations of cars that I have owned before about 35 years ago but I can remember few if any since, and that includes my current set of wheels which I bought brand new ten years ago. I can even remember the registrations of my dads cars from when I was a nipper.