The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Seen on a visit to the Old Vicarage Garden, East Ruston, Norfolk on Sunday 1st July, a 1933 Delage D6 11

post-1191-0-05073500-1530563293_thumb.jpg

There was also a classic car event at Felbrigg Hall on the same day, but although we were visiting a friend living in Sheringham, we weren't aware until after the event when we encountered a number of classics on our way back from East Ruston. One E Type, several Morris Minors, three Ford Capris, a couple of MGBs were just part of the haul.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 10

Buying a new battery may be money better spent?

Normally, yes. Trouble is, the battery in there is not the original spec, but somewhat greater capacity than Citroën's recommendation. Putting in an exact replacement for it might solve the problem for now, but later may have the same lack of ability to hold a charge. Equally, returning to manufacturer spec may leave me with a complete inability to start the car, given that it clearly needed an extra kick from a bigger battery.

Incidentally, am I correct in treating a battery with individual screw caps as "standard" as opposed to "maintenance-free"? Only reason for asking is that my traditional mains charger has two settings, and I hope I haven't been using the wrong one all along!!

• RMweb Premium

Normally, yes. Trouble is, the battery in there is not the original spec, but somewhat greater capacity than Citroën's recommendation. Putting in an exact replacement for it might solve the problem for now, but later may have the same lack of ability to hold a charge. Equally, returning to manufacturer spec may leave me with a complete inability to start the car, given that it clearly needed an extra kick from a bigger battery.

Incidentally, am I correct in treating a battery with individual screw caps as "standard" as opposed to "maintenance-free"? Only reason for asking is that my traditional mains charger has two settings, and I hope I haven't been using the wrong one all along!!

Yes, Ivan.  An AGM or maintenance free battery has no removable caps.

Incidentally the Austin 3 litre did share it's engine, and gearbox come to that, with the ill fated MGC.

Not exactly a volume seller itself. Certainly not enough to make the power train economic to manufacture. Of course Leyland Australia used the engine in a mass market saloon, the P76, which might have made it work, given a bit of international cooperation, but... erm... didn't. Nor did fheir attempt at putting a slightly smaller variant in the Marina.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Didn't the Australians use a 6 cylinder version of the O series?

They had the 6cyl E series, we had it in the wolesley six and the 2200 but they used it more widely and in a 2600 version in a marina! South Africa also used it in the SD1

Something for everybody.

Some crackers there - the "GT40" looked & sounded perfect.

Brave owners though taking some of those cars out in all that saltwater in January! And much admiration for those 'top down, hat & coat on' diehards - with full marks to the guy in the Mini Scamp at 9:49...!!

• RMweb Gold

50mph road too.  The rear-ender still had his foot on the gas when he mounted the sports car. 

White Lion antiques at Hartley Wintney - one of the guys in my local Classic Car club was there at the time and saw it happen...

…. The rear-ender still had his foot on the gas when he mounted the sports car. 

The brake lights were on as it came into view, so was clearly trying to stop.

The YouTube video says that particular stretch is at the bottom of a dip, so the Peugeot would have been coming downhill, whilst the Morgan would have been going uphill.

Speed and perception of speed doesn't always work out the way we think it does.

• RMweb Premium

The brake lights were on as it came into view, so was clearly trying to stop.

The YouTube video says that particular stretch is at the bottom of a dip, so the Peugeot would have been coming downhill, whilst the Morgan would have been going uphill.

Speed and perception of speed doesn't always work out the way we think it does.

The other video shows cars leaving in the opposite direction and going down a hill. The Morgan driver didn't stop in the central reservation as others did, just rolled across and pulled into the uphill stretch, in front of the Peugeot 206.

50mph road too.  The rear-ender still had his foot on the gas when he mounted the sports car. 

Which video are you looking at, the Peugeot has its brake lights lit and the rear off side wheel locked up when it comes into view, I cant make out if the front wheel is locked up as well, but I think it fair to say the Morgan driver was a complete tool for not only pulling out without stopping in the middle refuge but then taking the centre of the lane giving the Peugeot driver nowhere to go.

Edit-

I am 99% certain the front offside wheel of the Peugeot is locked up as well as the OSR wheel.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

Which video are you looking at, the Peugeot has its brake lights lit and the rear off side wheel locked up when it comes into view, I cant make out if the front wheel is locked up as well, but I think it fair to say the Morgan driver was a complete tool for not only pulling out without stopping in the middle refuge but then taking the centre of the lane giving the Peugeot driver nowhere to go.

Edit-

I am 99% certain the front offside wheel of the Peugeot is locked up as well as the OSR wheel.

I had no idea what it was but it still looks like it could have passed the Morgan.

However someone simply didn't see the little car

For you, maybe there's a verge the Peugeot driver could have used, but you're not actually supposed to be driving on the striped area.

I think on this occasion one might make an exception.

Mr Morgan is lucky to still have a head though.