The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On Wednedsay I 'cashed in' my Christmas present of a voucher for The Open Road, a classic car hire company.  Rather than having one car for 24-hours I opted to do some of the Classic Taster experiences where you take a car for an hour or so.  Very friendly and nice people to deal with and I'll certainly go back to them to try some other cars in their fleeet.

First up was a Jaguar E-type Series 3 roadster, 5.3-litre V12 and manual gearbox.

post-17722-0-98481200-1521222589_thumb.jpg

post-17722-0-09177400-1521222623_thumb.jpg

Very cramped inside and quite intimidating at first, but after a few miles it starts to inspire confidence.  Despite being over 40 years old this is still a pretty quick car.  At one point I was waiting for a clear view of the road ahead before passing a cyclist and the engine speed dropped to roughly 1,000rpm in third gear.  I've driven a reasonable variety of cars but I've never experienced a smooth, seamless pull like the E-type delivered as I accelerated past the cyclist.  No stuttering, no labouring, no hesitation, just a seamless pull.

Next, appropriately enough, was a Jaguar XJS.  Same V12 engine but with GM's 3-speed automatic transmission.

post-17722-0-78684500-1521222666_thumb.jpg

It might not be the cleanest, most economical or cheapest engine and transmission installation but I'm not sure I can think of any cars that could equal the XJS for mechanical refinement, you simply don't hear the engine or feel the transmission change gears.  It felt like an ideal car for long journeys (assuming you can afford the petrol).

post-17722-0-14235700-1521222694_thumb.jpg

One unusual quirk was the 'fly-off' handbrake, which you hardly ever see these days.  Pull it up to engage and the lever drops back to the floor; to release the brake you pull up the lever, press the button, pull it up a bit more and then lower the lever (it's easier to do than it is to describe).

Last of the Jaguars was a Mk2 3.8 with manual transmission and overdrive.

post-17722-0-84321000-1521222741_thumb.jpg

post-17722-0-47891700-1521222775_thumb.jpg

There was more handbrake-related oddness with this one; mounted on the driver's right the brake is almost inaccessible because of the arm rest on the driver's door.  Combine that with a clutch that had no detectable biting point and hill-starts were a source of considerable stress.  The Mk2 is much more at home on empty country roads, preferably smooth ones as the live axle can feel a bit too lively at times, but there's plenty of performance even if the engine is rather loud.  This one had power steering, which was nicely weighted but there was a little bit of slack.  It also had a Jaguar gearbox rather than the Moss gearbox usually fitted, so there was syncromesh on first gear and it is a nicer, easier transmission to use (in my experience the Moss gearboxes as fitted to Jaguars take time to learn, have a narrow gate that's tricky to navigate, and cannot be rushed).

Finally, there was this Triumph TR6.

post-17722-0-00199500-1521222813_thumb.jpg

The Triumph had just been returned when I got back from driving the Jaguar Mk2, I mentioned that it was a car I'd like to drive and was met with an invitation to take it for a quick spin.  Well, it'd be rude to say no under the circumstances.  Definitely on the 'hairy-chested' side, with unassisted steering and a firm (but fairly pleasant) gearbox.  The engine sounded wonderful and, thanks to the car's small size, it was a lot more fun to drive down narrow lanes than the E-type.  Definitly one I'd like to take out for a longer run.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

On Wednedsay I 'cashed in' my Christmas present of a voucher for The Open Road, a classic car hire company.  Rather than having one car for 24-hours I opted to do some of the Classic Taster experiences where you take a car for an hour or so.  Very friendly and nice people to deal with and I'll certainly go back to them to try some other cars in their fleeet.

First up was a Jaguar E-type Series 3 roadster, 5.3-litre V12 and manual gearbox.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180314_121714.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180314_121744.jpg

Very cramped inside and quite intimidating at first, but after a few miles it starts to inspire confidence.  Despite being over 40 years old this is still a pretty quick car.  At one point I was waiting for a clear view of the road ahead before passing a cyclist and the engine speed dropped to roughly 1,000rpm in third gear.  I've driven a reasonable variety of cars but I've never experienced a smooth, seamless pull like the E-type delivered as I accelerated past the cyclist.  No stuttering, no labouring, no hesitation, just a seamless pull.

Next, appropriately enough, was a Jaguar XJS.  Same V12 engine but with GM's 3-speed automatic transmission.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180314_132828.jpg

It might not be the cleanest, most economical or cheapest engine and transmission installation but I'm not sure I can think of any cars that could equal the XJS for mechanical refinement, you simply don't hear the engine or feel the transmission change gears.  It felt like an ideal car for long journeys (assuming you can afford the petrol).

attachicon.gifIMG_20180314_132854.jpg

One unusual quirk was the 'fly-off' handbrake, which you hardly ever see these days.  Pull it up to engage and the lever drops back to the floor; to release the brake you pull up the lever, press the button, pull it up a bit more and then lower the lever (it's easier to do than it is to describe).

Last of the Jaguars was a Mk2 3.8 with manual transmission and overdrive.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180314_142540.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180314_142606.jpg

There was more handbrake-related oddness with this one; mounted on the driver's right the brake is almost inaccessible because of the arm rest on the driver's door.  Combine that with a clutch that had no detectable biting point and hill-starts were a source of considerable stress.  The Mk2 is much more at home on empty country roads, preferably smooth ones as the live axle can feel a bit too lively at times, but there's plenty of performance even if the engine is rather loud.  This one had power steering, which was nicely weighted but there was a little bit of slack.  It also had a Jaguar gearbox rather than the Moss gearbox usually fitted, so there was syncromesh on first gear and it is a nicer, easier transmission to use (in my experience the Moss gearboxes as fitted to Jaguars take time to learn, have a narrow gate that's tricky to navigate, and cannot be rushed).

Finally, there was this Triumph TR6.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180314_152719.jpg

The Triumph had just been returned when I got back from driving the Jaguar Mk2, I mentioned that it was a car I'd like to drive and was met with an invitation to take it for a quick spin.  Well, it'd be rude to say no under the circumstances.  Definitely on the 'hairy-chested' side, with unassisted steering and a firm (but fairly pleasant) gearbox.  The engine sounded wonderful and, thanks to the car's small size, it was a lot more fun to drive down narrow lanes than the E-type.  Definitly one I'd like to take out for a longer run.

Is there a 'Green with envy' button?

• Like 5

45000 Euros for a 1979 CX Prestige:O  :O  :swoon:

45 grand. I mean, it's not like it was owned by Erich Honecker or one of those ex-Soviet bloc fellas.

Holy mo.... makes an SM look cheap!

An exotic of a more home grown nature here, tweaking the image a bit before posting it I noticed the wheel and tyre combo, size wise it looks quite unusual on a Marcos GT, the Minilites look like 13'' or 14'' to me and the corresponding tyre sidewalls look massive...

post-7638-0-63236700-1521401006.jpg

A few rather nice cars have slipped through my hands in the last couple of weeks, I'm still determined to bag something 'special' as it's now nine months since I lost my Dad, since when the urge to own something even slightly exotic before I'm too old to drive the damned thing has just grown and grown. I missed out on a potential Mk1 Interceptor last week which needed work but have my eye on a couple of Marcos GTs and a Series 2 Lotus Europa. First world problems and all that, but definitely not helping is the warm and friendly chat I've been having with the lucky gent who's recently bought one of Rod Stewart's Miuras and restored it back to the condition it was in when he of the leopard skin leggings and big hair bought it new back in October '71.

Onwards!

• Like 5

Holy mo.... makes an SM look cheap!

The only CXs that appear to have been worth serious money were the Prestiges run by the DDR's Honecker. Some of them were stretched, and a couple of those are in museums. I think I spotted one for sale at £95,000 once, but that was probably more for its historical notoriety than anything else

.... I missed out on a potential Mk1 Interceptor last week which needed work ....

If you are lucky enough to afford one, it might be worth spending some more money to convert it to programmable fuel injection / ignition (something like Megasquirt), as that will help you attain average mpg in the 20s rather than the low-10s.

EDIT I've unearthed and attached a feature on a fella who did exactly that. May be of interest.

interceptor.pdf

Edited by Horsetan

What a totally awful machine! I'm so glad I haven't seen one on the road for as long as I can remember! Why anyone would want to waste time, effort & not least money on one is beyond me!

Quite enjoyed the video though!

Keith

• Like 1

What a totally awful machine! I'm so glad I haven't seen one on the road for as long as I can remember! Why anyone would want to waste time, effort & not least money on one is beyond me!

Quite enjoyed the video though!

There are quite a few back on the road now. Awful the Invacar may have been to look at - a sort of Noddy car gone wrong - but I remember it was pretty much all there was before Motability and the onset of more sophisticated driving aids for the disabled. The later production Invacars could - as previously mentioned - top 80mph, which must have been terrifying for those not used to piloting one; there was far less substance in one than a Reliant.

The one in this video was rescued and worked on by a subscriber to the highly-amusing Autosh*te forum - he was more or less challenged to do it for this year's Festival Of The Unexceptional (i.e. those vehicles you used to see everyday but which are now endangered or uncommon sights or both), and he even had sponsorship from Hagerty Insurance.

• Like 2

There are quite a few back on the road now. Awful the Invacar may have been to look at - a sort of Noddy car gone wrong - but I remember it was pretty much all there was before Motability and the onset of more sophisticated driving aids for the disabled. The later production Invacars could - as previously mentioned - top 80mph, which must have been terrifying for those not used to piloting one; there was far less substance in one than a Reliant.

The one in this video was rescued and worked on by a subscriber to the highly-amusing Autosh*te forum - he was more or less challenged to do it for this year's Festival Of The Unexceptional (i.e. those vehicles you used to see everyday but which are now endangered or uncommon sights or both), and he even had sponsorship from Hagerty Insurance.

can remember when you used to see a whole line of them along the touch line at football on a saturday 

• Like 1

Didn't the later ones have a detuned Steyr-Puch flat twin engine? That would have some serious performance potential.

The last Invacars I remember seeing on a regular basis were a pair that used to live in Montpelier/Ashley Hill back in 1987-88ish.

• Like 1

Didn't the later ones have a detuned Steyr-Puch flat twin engine? That would have some serious performance potential...

That's the one. I think they were 700cc or over, compared to the original 597cc or thereabouts. Still, a terrifying prospect and not much crashworthiness either!

• RMweb Premium

That was before the days of having a disability sticker in your BMW was some sort of status symbol .

I lived in digs in Ilford in the late 60's where the landlord Reg suffered  MS. He had a specially converted Morris Minor Estate with hand controls. I was sometimes asked to take him out for a drive on a Sunday morning (sometimes as far afield as Margate). Even I, a very skillful driver (weren't we all in our twenties), couldn't get to grips with the hand controls when I occasionally and adventurously tried. Right hand for the throttle and servo assisted clutch paddles behind the wheel, left hand for the gear and brake levers. It was controlling the throttle by pulling up the throttle paddle with the first and second fingers, while releasing the clutch paddle with the third and fourth that was the challenge. How Reg had any chance with MS affecting his muscular control is anyone's guess.

His wife took advantage of the Disability Badge when she went shopping to the nearest Tesco, parking next to the bus stop in the busy road out front, rather than using the car park at the back. Of course that never would happen nowadays.

• Like 2

Interesting information about the Steyr motor? I wonder if it was the same engine Steyr fitted to the Steyr-Puch 650 TR II? 

I so-called 'test-drove' one of those back in the '70's....[when I, too, thought I could 'drive'...until London Transport showed me other wise...]....jet powered roller skate with a seat!

steyr-puch-650-tr-03.jpg

http://motoburg.com/13708-steyr-puch-650-tr.html

An example of what I'm on about?

I believe the Steyr engine was superior to the FIAT item [or even,the Abarth one?].....perhaps redundant, unloved Invacars would be a source of these quality engines?

• Like 6

His wife took advantage of the Disability Badge when she went shopping to the nearest Tesco, parking next to the bus stop in the busy road out front, rather than using the car park at the back. Of course that never would happen nowadays.

just don't start me off about people abusing disabled parking spaces.....And Tesco seem to be one of the worst for it. Our local one often has over 50% of the spaces occupied by cars not displaying a blue badge. I've given up complaining to 'customer services' about it....

• RMweb Premium

Interesting information about the Steyr motor? I wonder if it was the same engine Steyr fitted to the Steyr-Puch 650 TR II? 

I so-called 'test-drove' one of those back in the '70's....[when I, too, thought I could 'drive'...until London Transport showed me other wise...]....jet powered roller skate with a seat!

steyr-puch-650-tr-03.jpg

http://motoburg.com/13708-steyr-puch-650-tr.html

An example of what I'm on about?

I believe the Steyr engine was superior to the FIAT item [or even,the Abarth one?].....perhaps redundant, unloved Invacars would be a source of these quality engines?

Why do you think that the Invacars have all but disappeared. Wasn't a de-tuned version used in the Haflinger?

just don't start me off about people abusing disabled parking spaces.....And Tesco seem to be one of the worst for it. Our local one often has over 50% of the spaces occupied by cars not displaying a blue badge. I've given up complaining to 'customer services' about it....

In my local Tesco's they display 'Highways maintainence' or 'Paving contractor' instead. :jester:

I believe it was basically the same engine and, yes, I think it also powered the Haslingden. However, weren't all (or very nearly so) the Invacars reclaimed by the government and scrapped? Presumably the engines went in the skip with everything else. No loss in the case of the Villiers powered cars but a shame about the Steyrs.

• Like 1