The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

I seem to remember, from a long-ago article on the COGNAC Special ( a gloriously mad VSCC concoction of chain drive GN chassis and hot AC 2-litre engine) that the AC lump's development potential was limited by a very low redline, above which the valvegear would tie itself in knots. The COGNAC engine,although nominally 1920s was, IIRC, effectively in 1950s Ace tune. From seeing the beast in action at VSCC race meetings I can attest that it was very quick, spectacular in cornering thanks to the lack of a diff, and looked terrifying under braking as the axle-tramp made it look as if the front wheels were meeting above the radiator :D.

• Like 3

Volvo Amazon Kombi - with its original roof rack . A personal favourite of mine -  both to look at and to drive - although this old girls is a little tired and waiting for an engine rebuild plus overdrive .

post-6893-0-80488800-1520879267_thumb.jpg

Jon

Edited by 43179
  • Like 8

A couple of 'spots' c/o Pistonheads...

A French spaceship...

attachicon.gifPH SM abandoned_supercars_82.jpg

Forward Control Landrover from the 'Judge Dredd' film, ex- Gaydon Museum...

attachicon.gifPH LR DREDD.jpg

Are you sure that's the Gaydon one? There were something like 20 built for the film.

As of January 2016 there was still a yellow Judge Dredd City Cab Land Rover listed in the Gaydon Collection - see https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/explore/collections/BMIHT-historic-vehicle-list.pdf

Also, when my father and I visited Gaydon in 2014 for the Great Electric Train Show, the Gaydon yellow 'City Cab' didn't have a numberplate:

15510437431_5551ac3446.jpg

• Like 2

Are you sure that's the Gaydon one? There were something like 20 built for the film.

As of January 2016 there was still a yellow Judge Dredd City Cab Land Rover listed in the Gaydon Collection - see https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/explore/collections/BMIHT-historic-vehicle-list.pdf

Also, when my father and I visited Gaydon in 2014 for the Great Electric Train Show, the Gaydon yellow 'City Cab' didn't have a numberplate:

I thought there was only a handful but it appears not! Jus tread a similar thing on Pistonheads too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Weren't they based on the Discovery rather than the Range Rover? A moot point really as the Mk. 1 Discovery used the Range Rover chassis.

I thought they were based on Land Rover's Forward Control chassis.

Yes, they were.

As far as I can remember the British Motor Museum still has it's Judge Dredd Land Rover, over the Christmas holiday the museum added a new section for its film and television 'star cars'.

The AC engine, and likewise the Jowett flat twin date back to the Edwardian period and both engines had an extreamly long production period.

Although the AC engine changed so much over the years that the only component that was interchangable from the first to the last was the cylinder head gasket.

I was re-reading the history of the AC 'six, as written by LJK Setright, last night.  When it was designed the maximum engine speed was intended to be 2,750rpm but I can't find reference to the power output of the engine in 1919.

By 1926 the engine was producing 40bhp at 3,000rpm and there were problems with torsional vibration in the crankshaft at that speed.  As re-introuduced after the war in 1947 the AC engine manged 74bhp at 4,500rpm.  Development saw the output increase to 90bhp at the same engine speed.  By 1956 a stronger crankshaft allowed the engine to spin up to a giddy 5,000rpm to give 102hp; but if that speed were sustained for too long the valvegear would indeed tie itself in knots.  One final development was a change in cam profile which took maximum power to 110hp.

I think it's now time to confess to the REAL downfall of my AC 2 LITER.

Me and my brother were on our way to Exeter in his caravan when we pulled into a lay by on the Honington  By Pass where, the next day, the rain was literally coming down in stair rods so we decided to stay put for the day, rig up an old blanket to give us a dry area in which to strip down the head on the AC for no other apparent reason than sheer curiosity, nothing better to do and all day to do it in.

The result was a dropped timing chain which we had to fish out of the sump and with absolutely no idea of the timing order, bolted it all back up together again  where the next day  ( with many odd shaped and mysterious bits left over I might add ) we coaxed it at 5 banging, clattering MPH into an Exeter scrapyard where I was given  5 Quid for it at the same time as being laughed at a lot ! 

But promise not to tell anybody beyond this Forum.

I wonder if anybody on here happened to live near, or travel along the KIngston Bypass, around 1970-71?

In which case, if you saw, and were offended by, an abandoned  blue Renault Dauphine, stuffed into the hedge by a field gateway....sorry!  :(

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if anybody on here happened to live near, or travel along the KIngston Bypass, around 1970-71?

In which case, if you saw, and were offended by, an abandoned  blue Renault Dauphine, stuffed into the hedge by a field gateway....sorry!   :(

Don't worry, it would have melted away in a few weeks.

Way back in the day, long before the 70 mph max speed limit came into force - does anyone remember the grey Moggie 1000 van that used (allegedly) to blow off other motorists on the M1, because it was an AC Cobra test-bed?......... or is this just a motoring myth?

• Like 1

Isn't that longstroke 2 litre 6 cyl aluminium engine that dates from the 1920s basically the same that is in the AC Ace and Aceca.

It was the pre-war BMW longstroke 2 litre 6 cyl Bristol engined version  -and of course the Carol Shelby V8 Cobra version that gave ACs their latter day reputation.

Anyone notice that a pic of a scrap yard a page or two back had a pile of those lethal AC invalid cars stacked up in the background. A student colleague of mine from somewhere in Surrey  designed that horrible body for it as a holiday job (and it looked like it)

Richard Digance used to tell a story that when he left school he got a job in Ford's design office at Dagenham.

When it was his 16th birthday his colleagues took him down to the local pub and each of them bought him a drink.

When he got back to the office, he was so drunk, he designed the rear windscreen for the Ford Anglia 105E!

• Like 2

I thought they were based on Land Rover's Forward Control chassis.

Correct, they were built around demobbed stripped down 101's, the original bulkheads etc are all there underneath. There were circa 20 built, only 3 or so were fitted out internally for the film. By all accounts they are a nightmare to drive due to the small screen/low internal headroom.