The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

When I first came to Perth in the late '90s, the only Facel Vega I've ever seen in the metal used to live, parked in the street, not far from our rental flat. I've never seen it out and about anywhere else though, so I'm not convinced it was actually mobile, even though road registered at the time. It certainly looked a little faded. Dunno if it's still there, but it's now 20 years since I moved out of the area.

• Like 1

Never drove one, Pete.

How fast were they - 0-60, Top End ?

Also can't remember, was it a V8 ?

Chrysler V8, I think, with an automatic box - probably the only one that could handle the torque.... Edited by Horsetan

Never drove one, Pete.

How fast were they - 0-60, Top End ?

Also can't remember, was it a V8 ?

They came with a variety of Chrysler V8 engines over the years, and a choice of Chrysler's Torqflite three-speed automatic gearbox or four-speed Pont-a-Mousson manual.

The Motor road tested a HK500 and recorded 0-60mph in 8.4 seconds and a top speed of 140mph.  That was for a car with a 6.3-litre V8 (rated at 360hp) and manual gearbox

• Like 2

There was one slowly going to rust on a farm near here in the late 70's .  .  . .383 ci chrysler hemi V8 and auto box

He wasn't selling and It was going to be a lot of work.

John

I know I'm being pedantic but if it was a 383 it wasn't a Hemi :no:

Haven't got a screenshot, unfortunately, but while watching Magnum Force last night, what should I notice parked at the kerb in 1970s San Francisco but an Austin 1100 (well, an ADO16 shape anyway) in Basil Fawlty red. Almost made up for the t-boning of a, then worthless but now staggeringly valuable, VW split screen bus a few moments later :D.

• Like 3

Haven't got a screenshot, unfortunately, but while watching Magnum Force last night, what should I notice parked at the kerb in 1970s San Francisco but an Austin 1100 (well, an ADO16 shape anyway) in Basil Fawlty red. Almost made up for the t-boning of a, then worthless but now staggeringly valuable, VW split screen bus a few moments later :D.

Could be an Austin America.

Faced Vega didn't only make V8 powered cars The Facellia and Facel III both had 4 bangers.

steve

Bang being the operative word, the Facellia's twin-cam engine cost a fortune in warranty replacements. The Facel III used four-cylinder engines from Volvo (apart from a couple that used BMC's straight six from the Austin Healey).

There was one slowly going to rust on a farm near here in the late 70's .  .  . .383 ci chrysler hemi V8 and auto box

He wasn't selling and It was going to be a lot of work.

I once looked round the shell of a 4-door Facel Vega "Excellence". It was in the workshop of Lance McCormack when he used to run Romance of Rust in Ealing (he now operates in Brentford), and he had been hired to do a ground-up resto of the car. He told me that this particular one had been owned by Ava Gardner. I'd seen examples of his panel-beating skills; they don't come cheap now.

The Excellence had been designed with no B-pillars, so I can't imagine that the shell was particularly rigid.

• Like 2

I once looked round the shell of a 4-door Facel Vega "Excellence". It was in the workshop of Lance McCormack when he used to run Romance of Rust in Ealing (he now operates in Brentford), and he had been hired to do a ground-up resto of the car. He told me that this particular one had been owned by Ava Gardner. I'd seen examples of his panel-beating skills; they don't come cheap now.

The Excellence had been designed with no B-pillars, so I can't imagine that the shell was particularly rigid.

Did he repaint the dashboard by hand too..? The first time I saw one in the flesh I thought the dash was real wood veneer, turned out it was painted on!

• Like 1

Ringo Starr bought one in 1964 and kept it until 1968, he came very close to having a nasty accident in it, at which point the other three Fabs pointed out that they wouldn't want to carry on as a three piece band.

Rumours are that the Facel Vega Excellence did indeed suffer from rigidity issues.

The author and philosopher Albert Camus was killed when travelling in a Facel Vega driven by his publisher and close friednd, Michel Gallimard.  The car was estimated to be travelling at 112mph when the driver lost control and hit a tree, Gallimard died five days after the accident.

Think I had one of these once and apart from obviously being a Vauxhall, I'm not sure as to what model.

All I remember, is that it had train carriage style straps with which to lower the windows, that I got off my Uncle Fred who's interpretation of a "Small leak" was a cracked block.

Never got it repaired and swapped it with a Ford Eight that had a cracked everything. This wonderment ended up in the Village Duck pond which had disappeared altogether beneath a blanket of fog on a bend outside of Caddington, Beds on the way to work.

Anyone know what it is?

12364_1.jpg

• Like 4