The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Funnily enough, I've just been doing some 'research' on mining activities, and although not directly related to batteries, (although it might be relevent with the ever increasing numbers of electronic driver 'aids' that are now apparently essential in modern cars) I found this quite interesting;

"Levels of metals recycling are generally low. Unless future end-of-life recycling rates are stepped up, some rare metals may become unavailable for use in a variety of consumer products. Due to the low recycling rates, some landfills now contain higher concentrations of metal than mines themselves."

A (worryingly long) while ago I regularly had dealings with a company in the gold mining town of Kalgoorlie who were making an excellent profit by recovering all the old mine tailings from the previous 100 years. Reprocessed through modern equipment they yielded payable gold and the extraction costs were minimal compared to digging and crushing virgin rock. Sooner or later, if there's money in it, someone will work out how to mine landfills for all the stuff we've wasted over the last few decades.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll have the Standard 10 Companion please. :boast:

• Like 3

My dad always used Redex in his cars, most garages had a dispenser at the side of the pumps - all this before self serve became the norm. His cars never had engine problems though they just rusted away !!

Brit15

• Like 2

I'll have the Standard 10 Companion please. :boast:

Nowt better than a good old shooting brake.

I reckon the Riley One Point Five might be more fun ;).

I wonder if the bloke that bought the suit in Burtons (now a Mcdonalds) shop window (directly above the 1.5) had much fun in that.

Funny how the BTC photographer got the location wrong. Just goes to show, never trust an archivist.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Nowt better than a good old shooting brake.

I wonder if the bloke that bought the suit in Burtons (now a Mcdonalds) shop window (directly above the 1.5) had much fun in that.

Funny how the BTC photographer got the location wrong. Just goes to show, never trust an archivist.

P

I bought my first ever suit from Burtons - 48 inch bottoms, double breasted with landing flaps for lapels - 68 years ago and my grandkids still go camping in it.

Allan

A (worryingly long) while ago I regularly had dealings with a company in the gold mining town of Kalgoorlie who were making an excellent profit by recovering all the old mine tailings from the previous 100 years. Reprocessed through modern equipment they yielded payable gold and the extraction costs were minimal compared to digging and crushing virgin rock. Sooner or later, if there's money in it, someone will work out how to mine landfills for all the stuff we've wasted over the last few decades.

It seems to be a standard practice with pit-heaps from coal mines to screen the waste for usable coal before levelling them; some heaps apparently produce large quantities.

In pre-WW2 Swansea, there was someone who made a large sum by buying a redundant chimney that ran up Kilvey Hill from an early zinc-smelter; those who mocked him for his purchase were soon laughing on the other side of their faces when they discovered that silver had condensed from the fumes as they cooled going up the stack. I can well imagine that similar treasure is to be found on the site of many an old working or smelter.

It seems to be a standard practice with pit-heaps from coal mines to screen the waste for usable coal before levelling them; some heaps apparently produce large quantities.

In pre-WW2 Swansea, there was someone who made a large sum by buying a redundant chimney that ran up Kilvey Hill from an early zinc-smelter; those who mocked him for his purchase were soon laughing on the other side of their faces when they discovered that silver had condensed from the fumes as they cooled going up the stack. I can well imagine that similar treasure is to be found on the site of many an old working or smelter.

I'd guess that the requirements of those burning coal has changed. At one time I would have thought that coal was needed in largish lumps, whereas grit and dust would have been regarded as waste. Modern coal use, however, seems to rely on pulverised coal, and so pretty much every fragment in the waste heap can now be used.

A while ago I posted some pics of Lawrence Harvey's 1966 Wood & Pickett Mk1 Cooper S, here's another...

post-7638-0-73076000-1519216619_thumb.jpg

And Macca and Linda arriving at Abbey Road in her W&P Clubman, 1977... it came up for sale recently and has been repainted white...

post-7638-0-04987400-1519216832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 10

Bit of shameless nostalgia...

post-7638-0-02756500-1519311598_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-70652800-1519311676.jpg

post-7638-0-90558700-1519311806.jpg

Cute Wolseley Hornet, anyone recognise the location...is it Seaton Junction..?

post-7638-0-32280200-1519311846.jpg

Old Enzo and Big John in 1964...

post-7638-0-47010100-1519311912.jpg

post-7638-0-29462500-1519312094_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-19363600-1519312149.jpg

post-7638-0-01364800-1519312419_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-60136500-1519312454_thumb.jpg

Sir Reg of Pinner, 1972...

post-7638-0-34644300-1519312596.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9

Just to flag up that we (Cholsey & Wallingford Railway) have an MG Magnettes day coming up at Wallingford station on 31st March, if anyone's interested.

(Note that this was arranged after our flyers listing running dates for the early part of the season were printed).

• Like 1