The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

See if you can offer it on the Autosh*te.com forum. This is exactly the sort of automotive chod they love, especially if you offer it as a ROFL (i.e. raffle) prize. Say £4 a ticket, or something like that. EDIT: for those not familiar with Autosh*te, this is a forum dedicated to keeping cheap old everyday cars (also known as "sh*te" or "sh***ers") going, long after depreciation has ceased to mean anything. Contains an entertaining mix of modern cars and classics, and some hilarious ingenuity. Regular offers of cars for sale take place, often using the raffle system (known as "roffle", because ROFL), so by picking a raffle ticket number or asking for a random number, you could end up with a car for as little as a fiver. Most recent example was somebody ending up with a 1996 Citroen Xantia for a fiver £6. All he has to do now is collect it from South London. No it wasn't me. There's a fella somewhere in Wales who is trying to resurrect an Invacar, whilst another has been working obsessively on a ground-up restoration of a Mk.1 Granada Coupe, and a third is currently taking an original Mini apart. All good dirty fun. Some people seem to accumulate worrying numbers of cars, and then have to work out where to park them without attracting the attention of the other half  :jester:

This sounds like an online version of the late, and much lamented, mag Jalopy. Probably the best car mag of all time.

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was that a factory option? Only asking as you can pretty much do that to any 3dr hatch by taking the back seats out and covering the rear side windows. The little Corsa vans so beloved of energy companies for their meter readers are pretty much still a car.

It was Pete, there are parts bespoke to them such as the bulkhead and trim for load area

Our Rover fan in Chatteris is still collecting cars. Latest one is one that I don't ever recall seeing before:

attachicon.gifLR54EXZ Chatteris 05-02-2018..jpg

Stewart

believe they were popular in the republic of ireland at one point as this type of vehicle was cheap to insure for new drivers on restrictive "P" plates iirc they were classed as farm vehicles so got around a lot of the restrictions 

Was that a factory option? Only asking as you can pretty much do that to any 3dr hatch by taking the back seats out and covering the rear side windows. The little Corsa vans so beloved of energy companies for their meter readers are pretty much still a car.

Lada used to do it with four-door estates.

Latterly Dacia have done much the same.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/dacia/duster-commerical

Spotted a very nice-looking Maxi parked on a road in Byfleet today.

I think it's the first one I've seen on the road in about 20 years!

Not a Maxi but RJS1977's post reminded me of this. I *may* have posted this before but memory's a bit foggy...

Clearly to be seen on Streetview dated 2014, I can confirm that as of last month, it's still parked on the drive and has now been there for the best part of 38 years! I vaguely remember as a child that it was in daily use, just around the corner from my late father's house. Anyone fancy the restoration?

post-17811-0-10564400-1518250970.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.362656,-0.1432707,3a,37.5y,220.11h,80.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Sl26aoASMHWYOV11dK9Lw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 7

Up until very recently there was a very faded but solid looking J reg'd Austin 3 litre (Landcrab shape) parked up outside a small garage close to the arches just south of Leamington Spa station, it'd been there for years, I hope it's been saved to be restored.

believe they were popular in the republic of ireland at one point as this type of vehicle was cheap to insure for new drivers on restrictive "P" plates iirc they were classed as farm vehicles so got around a lot of the restrictions 

You see variations on this theme a lot in France; apparently you pay less tax, and can reclaim the VAT more easily. Things like radios (and until recently, heaters) were paid-for options. If you then decide to install a back seat, there is a real paper-chase to follow, as my god-daughter's father found out. Another type of vehicle one sees is a light van, sometimes with a lengthened body, fitted with a back seat, but with a side door only on the nearside. We used to have Citroen C15s like this for the cleaners at work.

• RMweb Gold

Up until very recently there was a very faded but solid looking J reg'd Austin 3 litre (Landcrab shape) parked up outside a small garage close to the arches just south of Leamington Spa station, it'd been there for years, I hope it's been saved to be restored.

Masses of legroom everywhere unlike modern cars where if you are of a standard height and sat in the back you have your knees under your chin.  Transverse engine and FWD great for leg room but not for grease monkey's hands!

• Like 3

Spotted a very nice-looking Maxi parked on a road in Byfleet today.

I think it's the first one I've seen on the road in about 20 years!

About 20 years ago, even more come to that, I mysteriously found myself locked into 'Maxi Mode' and bought three of them. Each in mustard yellow, each a right heap of crap - then the mode turned to Allegro's. Even worse still...

Allan.

About 20 years ago, even more come to that, I mysteriously found myself locked into 'Maxi Mode' and bought three of them. Each in mustard yellow, each a right heap of crap - then the mode turned to Allegro's. Even worse still....

Ah, but you didn't have the Vanden Plas Plah.

Edited by Horsetan

Not a Maxi but RJS1977's post reminded me of this. I *may* have posted this before but memory's a bit foggy...

Clearly to be seen on Streetview dated 2014, I can confirm that as of last month, it's still parked on the drive and has now been there for the best part of 38 years! I vaguely remember as a child that it was in daily use, just around the corner from my late father's house. Anyone fancy the restoration?

attachicon.gifshed_2.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.362656,-0.1432707,3a,37.5y,220.11h,80.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Sl26aoASMHWYOV11dK9Lw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looks like they're using it for storage, judging by the amount of rubbish inside it. ;)

attachicon.gifshed_2.jpg

The neighbours must love this!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't Nova slang for something somewhere?

Mind fiat through Ritmo was bad in English and that people would for some reason call it ritmog!

Don't recall anyone calling Judie Tzukes album Ritmo that

It ended up being the fiat strada

• Like 1

Driving into Peterborough along the A605 this morning, spotted what must be the unlikeliest of bangers on the back of a transporter heading west towards the A1, a Triumph Stag in a very fetching shade of green, almost GWR Brunswick. It was a hard top, keeps on the right side of the H&S mob I guess.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Driving into Peterborough along the A605 this morning, spotted what must be the unlikeliest of bangers on the back of a transporter heading west towards the A1, a Triumph Stag in a very fetching shade of green, almost GWR Brunswick. It was a hard top, keeps on the right side of the H&S mob I guess.

What a waste!

• RMweb Gold

Depends why it was on the transporter I suppose.  Unless you are saying a waste because it had a hard top on.

Watched a repeat of the Wheeler Dealers yesterday where they did the Stag up.  Lot of controversy about that I seem to recall but nevertheless reinforced my desire to own one at some point.  Once again they are rising in value though and they are a car that can be a money pit if you get the wrong one to start with.  I think the best advice for me was buy the best you can afford, one that has had the work done properly and then spend your money keeping it in that condition.  I would have one in a heartbeat but having got rid of  Porsche Boxster that was bought purely as a toy and hardly used I think I will have to wait until I finally give up with the motorbike and then seriously look once more at a Stag.

• Like 1