The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

They were all bought to test the parking mechanism. Probably the Maestro and the Unos might still have some life left. Who knows?

The doors on the Uno look to have rusted at the bottom, not unsurprising. Useful spares for someone, but reading the article these motors were at the end of their life when they went in there so unfortunately doesn't look like there are any sub 10k mile gems..

I read on Pistonheads that there are very few Avengers taxed and MOT'd these days, they were everywhere when I were a lad.

Some more of those ye olde magazine covers - I love the simple graphic nature of these, when I've got my garage sorted I'm going to frame a few and bung them up on the walls...

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 080373.jpg

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 090367.jpg

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 241068a.jpg

attachicon.gifMOTOR 030569.jpg

attachicon.gifMOTOR 050266.jpg

attachicon.gifMOTOR 061269.jpg

attachicon.gifMOTOR 100465.jpg

attachicon.gifMOTOR 130265.jpg

attachicon.gifMOTOR 181167.jpg

attachicon.gifMOTOR 220467.jpg

oooh a zephyr6 ! dad had one of those bench front seat was great meant we could get all five of us kids in the car on camping trips filler behind a flap in the middle of the boot scariest drive out was a trip over the hardnot pass and having to keep reversing back on the blind bends due to the width of this barge made a big impression on this then five year old   

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It was opened in 2001 but was closed in 2003 when the management company went bust. The cars remaining inside were unclaimed by their owners or the owners couldn't be traced. I think disposing of them will have all sorts of legal complications.

It was opened in 2001 but was closed in 2003 when the management company went bust. The cars remaining inside were unclaimed by their owners or the owners couldn't be traced. I think disposing of them will have all sorts of legal complications.

The owner would be the car park company, now defunct. It had bought the cars to prove that the stacking mechanism worked.

Speaking as an owner, over time, of several minis - and following a current Countrynman, whilst followed by another, approaching Tesco in Dingwall this morning in my Kia Picanto - it was rather like sitting in my old mini between two London buses - BIG and B l o a t e d simply doesn't begin to describe it!

Funnily enough there's a couple who live near my son who own a Picanto & a classic Mini. I always laugh when I pass there how the Kia towers over the Mini ! 

Keith

• Like 1

Sometimes we never learn. Built almost sixty years ago on the site of the Empire Theatre Woolwich and now a Premier Inn, there was the Dagenham Motors Auto Stacker. A spectacular failure from an earlier generation.

attachicon.gifDagenham-M WoolwichAutoStackerShell.JPG

Read more about it here:

https://thamesfacingeast.wordpress.com/tag/woolwich-polytechnic/

and the Meccano model(?) in operation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bnyf4

or for those that prefer youtube zip this forward to 15 minutes.

The only place I ever saw an automated car park work was on Thunderbirds!

P

Volkswagen seem to have had one at one of their factories (Wolfsburg?) for a good few years now.

Sometimes we never learn. Built almost sixty years ago on the site of the Empire Theatre Woolwich and now a Premier Inn, there was the Dagenham Motors Auto Stacker. A spectacular failure from an earlier generation.

attachicon.gifDagenham-M WoolwichAutoStackerShell.JPG

Read more about it here:

https://thamesfacingeast.wordpress.com/tag/woolwich-polytechnic/

and the Meccano model(?) in operation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bnyf4

or for those that prefer youtube zip this forward to 15 minutes.

The only place I ever saw an automated car park work was on Thunderbirds!

P

Volkswagen seem to have had one at one of their factories (Wolfsburg?) for a good few years now.

• Like 1

I have travelled in one. Unsafe at any speed.

Re: Daewoo Matiz, a couple of years ago at Great Yarmouth in one of their regular caravan destruction derbies, a Matiz was towing the biggest caravan on the circuit, something like a 20 footer. The final result was a draw between the Matiz and a Zafira which had one of the smallest caravans in tow when they became locked together although both were still running (just). The caravans being nothing but a bare frame by now of course.

• Like 1

Funnily enough there's a couple who live near my son who own a Picanto & a classic Mini. I always laugh when I pass there how the Kia towers over the Mini ! 

Keith

Never having seen the two together I can't comment, though knowing the Mini was tiny , I can quite believe you - Does anyone remember the fad for trying to get the most people into Minis and telephone boxes - another thing now conspicuous by their rarity? (at which point we shall be inundated with photos, no doubt!)

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Does anyone remember the fad for trying to get the most people into Minis and telephone boxes - another thing now conspicuous by their rarity? (at which point we shall be inundated with photos, no doubt!)

People kept suffocating so they stopped doing that...

I had a Mini that was so rotten it was a job to get the wife to sit in it let alone a rugby team.

Who remembers the late Collin Massingham, founder of MTK kits and El Crappo kits ?

Well, he loaned me a Mini van into which he had fitted a Cooper engine because my own heap was laid up sick and I needed to drive from High Wycombe to Bedford to pick up a guitar amp and Watkins Copy Cat echo unit that I was having modified.

Anyway, what he never told me was that the brakes didn't work and you had to use the handbrake if for some silly reason you wanted to stop.

Fortunately, I found this out early just half a mile down the road as I  swiftly run out of tarmac on the sharp bend at Sands where a rather large tree kindly stood in for the non existent foot brake. Colin Massingham was the ultimate optimist and never once in all the time that I had the privilege to know him did he own anything that couldn't kill you.

Allan.

• Like 4

Ah, a VW only car park. Good for PR. Not much else.

I wonder how it would cope with hundreds of cars a day in all weathers. More importantly how did they get it through the emmisions test?   :smile_mini2:

Ah, a VW only car park. Good for PR. Not much else.

I wonder how it would cope with hundreds of cars a day in all weathers. More importantly how did they get it through the emmisions test?   :smile_mini2:

PP

Does anyone remember the fad for trying to get the most people into Minis and telephone boxes - another thing now conspicuous by their rarity?

No photo's, and not a Mini, but after a rather enjoyable mess 'do', the hooligan student pilots of the University of Wales Air Squadron managed to get thirteen of their number in the adjutant's original Fiat 500! This just happened to have a full length fabric sunroof, so 11 were actually standing up! I was one of the two sitting down - on my mate's lap (no, we weren't that close friends..!!), with me steering & changing gear, him working the pedals, we got the thing up to an indicated 40 mph down St. Athan's main runway!! 

Oh, the impetuousness - and stupidity - of youth!!

Keith

• Like 6

....Who remembers the late Collin Massingham, founder of MTK kits and El Crappo kits ?....... Colin Massingham was the ultimate optimist and never once in all the time that I had the privilege to know him did he own anything that couldn't kill you.

I remember reading stories about the late Guy Williams who was apparently lethal behind the wheel of a Mini Metro.

....... the hooligan student pilots of the University of Wales Air Squadron managed to get thirteen of their number in the adjutant's original Fiat 500! ....

Re: the earlier enquiry, the record for stuffing people into an original Mini stands at 27, according to Guinness Book of World Records. A new record of 28 was set later, but using a BMW Mini.

Edited by Horsetan

I remember reading stories about the late Guy Williams who was apparently lethal behind the wheel of a Mini Metro.

I remember the late Guy Williams, who built the locos for Pendon, once telling me that he could never see the point in lettering and lining both sides of a loco if ever all you were going to see was one side of it going up and down.

Not sure whether or not any of  the Pendon locos are like this but, and knowing Guy's eccentricity, I wouldn't be surprised !

A truly wonderful man,  gentleman and model maker.  Gone but not forgotten.

Allan.

• Like 2

That makes five surviving motors from The Sweeney, the others being the Mk1 3-litre Consul GT 'NHK 295M' currently nearing the end of a twenty year restoration, another Mk1 used in the later series and one of the films reg'd 'RHJ 997R', A Rolls Royce Silver Shadow used by a couple of villains (various reg' numbers attached to this one and it was also used in The Persudaders and several films later on) and one of the Mk2 Granadas.

• RMweb Premium

I've heard that one or two cars from Randall & Hopkirk (deceased) still survive, a Mini and a limousine the make of which I am uncertain but I seem to recall an Austin Princess. The limousine also appeared in several other TV dramas of the same genre.

• RMweb Gold

That makes five surviving motors from The Sweeney, the others being the Mk1 3-litre Consul GT 'NHK 295M' currently nearing the end of a twenty year restoration, another Mk1 used in the later series and one of the films reg'd 'RHJ 997R', A Rolls Royce Silver Shadow used by a couple of villains (various reg' numbers attached to this one and it was also used in The Persudaders and several films later on) and one of the Mk2 Granadas.

20 year restoration?  Blimey a full nut and bolt job then.  What happened to the Mk II Jag that was smashed up in every early episode?

• Like 1

20 year restoration?  Blimey a full nut and bolt job then.

Some recent pictures here after paint. It's a Facebook link, unfortunately, so may not be visible to all.

NHK 295M

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273039941819?clk_rvr_id=1424129990049&rmvSB=true

s-l1600.jpg

Another one for a daily driver....I like the advanced steering system...sort-of cam operated...which made the steering go lighter for parking.  Proper engineering, rather than technology?

These sorts of old motors , IMHO are eminently useable in today's environment...[providing one doesn't go anywhere near the South East?].....being simple, well-engineered motors, plenty of room, built like-a-tank types.

I also like the escapades publicity departments thought up for makers, back in the  day. During the harsh winter of 1947, Three of these were driven on a tour of 7 European capitals......and despite the horrendous weather conditions, completed the journey.

The organiser, from Austin's Publicity Department, [Alan Hess] wrote  book about the journey. [Gullible's Travels....one of many apparently under that title?]...I might see if I can get a copy.? These sorts of book appeal to me.

Apparently, these were the inspiration for the famous London Taxis from Austin

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 5