The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

I had a half share in a SIIa Forward Control many years ago (shared with Dad). Never had to pull the engine, thank goodness. I think most of the cab would have had to come apart unless it could somehow be dropped between the chassis rails. We did put new Cords rings and new big-end shells in when the oil consumption and the rumbling got beyond a joke though. Hoicking out the gearbox, OTOH, was a regular chore as the FC (and particularly our habitual overloading of it) was really a bit much for even the 1-Ton box and clutch. Luckily access to the 'box was easy through the hatch in the load bed. Getting it back in tended to involve me standing above it supporting the weight with a rope round my shoulders while Dad did the precision (bwahaha!) alignment and stuck the bolts in. Then we had the fun of connecting up the serially bodged and very worn gear linkage in such a manner that we could find all the gears most of the time. Or most of the gears all of the time. Or anything that would result in adequate forward progress really. When it's 2am and sleeting and you need the truck for work that morning it'sremarkable how easily pleased it is possible to be :D.

Still loved it though, and I'd like another, though probably the more practical normal control variant this time. 

• Like 6

I think there would certainly be quite a few more too Dave if we had somewhere to put one! Always fancied one but other products from Solihull have usually taken up the space in my case, talking of which - I found an online for sale advert for my last Rover P5B Coupe yesterday before going off to work, I've been thinking about it all night but the chap I sold it to three years ago is asking £13,750 for it...! In the meantime I've also found some more online pics of the grey Coupe I'm interested in which seem encouraging.

Yes I like the old Rovers too, indeed I'd rather go on a run with classic cars than get a newly restored Landie all mucked up, though we have done some green road runs which did teach me what a proper 4x4 can do ( under instruction...) 45 degree slopes, river fording and boggy ground, all great fun.

post-10324-0-05605500-1515937280_thumb.jpg

Rover run stopped at Perth for lunch.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 15

Many years ago I bought a Rover P6 V eight  that was buried under leaves underneath a tree right at the back of a second hand car lot.

On asking the dealer what he wanted for the 'old banger' under the tree he said give me 30 quid and you can tow it away - it's something I took in for part exchange and it's been there for ages.

On brushing aside some of the leaves this revealed a car that had obviuosly been owned by an enthusiast who at some time had fitted new wings and other body parts and, in short, this car was as sound as one could expect for the year so I bought it.

Anyway, Instead of towing it away, I fitted a  new battery, drained the tank, poured in a few gallons of fresh petrol, thumbed the starter and away she went and I drove it home and even the brakes and all the  electrics worked perfectly.

So, after spending a whole day T-Cutting the paintwork back I gave it a really good wax and polish and, lo and behold, I had a minter on my hands !

I then drove it back to the dealer who said with surprise " Bloody hell. I undersold it. Will you take a grand for it ?"

And did I ? Absolutely no way !

Allan.

• Like 5

Hi Rob, posted this pic previously on another thread, dead line for completion was supposed to be July/August 17 then I found out the Landrover show in Scotland had been moved forward to May so that buxxered that thought up.. The body is now sitting on the new chassis but nothing is connected up yet.

People keep buying our castings and 2017 has been very busy but maybe 2018 will see the 11A back on the road for the 60th anniversary of the first Series two.

attachicon.gife Landie pics 2.jpg

I'm amazed at how many of us modellers are also old Landie owners.

All the best,

Dave Franks

P.S. what make of tyres are yours, I was thinking of Deestones myself as the 205 radials are cracking between the tread blocks..

Hi Dave,

Nice job and thanks for sharing, I am amazed how many little differences there are between a IIA and a III. Good luck with finishing it off.

My Tyres are Deestones, I would have loved some Avon Traction Mileage but not at £200 per tyre! The Deestones were £60 each from memory.

• Like 1

I had a half share in a SIIa Forward Control many years ago (shared with Dad). Never had to pull the engine, thank goodness. I think most of the cab would have had to come apart unless it could somehow be dropped between the chassis rails. We did put new Cords rings and new big-end shells in when the oil consumption and the rumbling got beyond a joke though. Hoicking out the gearbox, OTOH, was a regular chore as the FC (and particularly our habitual overloading of it) was really a bit much for even the 1-Ton box and clutch. Luckily access to the 'box was easy through the hatch in the load bed. Getting it back in tended to involve me standing above it supporting the weight with a rope round my shoulders while Dad did the precision (bwahaha!) alignment and stuck the bolts in. Then we had the fun of connecting up the serially bodged and very worn gear linkage in such a manner that we could find all the gears most of the time. Or most of the gears all of the time. Or anything that would result in adequate forward progress really. When it's 2am and sleeting and you need the truck for work that morning it'sremarkable how easily pleased it is possible to be :D.

Still loved it though, and I'd like another, though probably the more practical normal control variant this time. 

Nice, the IIB forward control was a much better job that the IIA but I still wouldn't fancy doing a clutch change on either with the cab in situ.

• Like 1

A quickie from the archive, not sure where this is but what a feast for the eyes, quite a good turn out and it shows how conservative Rover were with their colour choices...

post-7638-0-47150000-1515941784_thumb.jpg

The Coupe at the bottom right has a rare factory fitted option, a Hollandia electric sunroof, only fitted to a dozen P5Bs at most, the Webasto or Britax folding sunroofs being much more common. 

Something I used to hear quite a lot when I had my two (often at Petrol stations) was ''they're rare things nowadays'' or ''you don't see many about anymore'', but for a low volume build there are a lot of P5B Saloons and Coupes still about compared to other classics. The production figures for all of the V8 engined cars are :

Home market Saloons = 10,341

Export market Saloons = 1,160

Home market Coupes = 8,195

Export market Coupes = 823

Total = 20,519. I'm not sure what the production figures for the earlier 3-litre cars are but I'd say the V8 survivors certainly outnumber them today. The 3-litres were built for longer, from 1958 to 1967 but the V8s were only built from 1967 to 1973, and by all accounts should have ceased production in 1971 when the Rover P8 was due to replace them, but this didn't happen because it was feared it would undermine sales of the very successful XJ6 line.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9

Nice, the IIB forward control was a much better job that the IIA but I still wouldn't fancy doing a clutch change on either with the cab in situ.

Indeed. The IIb had fixes for  some of the more irritating aspects of the a, most significantly that bl@@&y gearchange linkage. Ours' faults were, perhaps, exaggerated as it was a very early pre-production vehicle (chassis number 7) and so probably lacked even improvements that were made for production as. It always had the air of something that had been built in a shed behind the factory by two blokes with a hacksaw and a welder. Only when we noted how early the chassis number was did we realise it probably had been :D.

• Like 1

A different Forward Control;

at least, with the V8, they’re not underpowered,

post-6861-0-28147000-1516021184_thumb.jpeg

which makes them very good tow vehicles,

post-6861-0-72943200-1516021079_thumb.jpeg

and mine now lives in comfort in my recently constructed carriage shed,

post-6861-0-18458800-1516021938_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18

The CX is now stuffed full of Shell V-power unleaded (yes I checked the colour of the pump nozzle), and seems to be drinking the stuff enthusiastically. There is a bit of a petrol odour - not noticed that before.

Marvellous, that suspension. Flattens bumps and relegates potholes to a mere ripple. I've got hold of a Halfrauds electric tyre pump - no more queuing to do tyre pressures.

Future jobs: making the interior a bit brighter - the courtesy light consists of two weedy festoon bulbs. I'm thinking LEDs. Also need to have a go at the door mirror motors.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob, posted this pic previously on another thread, dead line for completion was supposed to be July/August 17 then I found out the Landrover show in Scotland had been moved forward to May so that buxxered that thought up.. The body is now sitting on the new chassis but nothing is connected up yet.

People keep buying our castings and 2017 has been very busy but maybe 2018 will see the 11A back on the road for the 60th anniversary of the first Series two.

attachicon.gife Landie pics 2.jpg

I'm amazed at how many of us modellers are also old Landie owners.

All the best,

Dave Franks

P.S. what make of tyres are yours, I was thinking of Deestones myself as the 205 radials are cracking between the tread blocks..

And not so old.

Discovery 2 here, and it is a great vehicle.

During last snow I extracted a car from a hedge where he had slipped off, I was happy to help.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The CX is now stuffed full of Shell V-power unleaded (yes I checked the colour of the pump nozzle), and seems to be drinking the stuff enthusiastically. There is a bit of a petrol odour - not noticed that before.

Marvellous, that suspension. Flattens bumps and relegates potholes to a mere ripple. I've got hold of a Halfrauds electric tyre pump - no more queuing to do tyre pressures.

Future jobs: making the interior a bit brighter - the courtesy light consists of two weedy festoon bulbs. I'm thinking LEDs. Also need to have a go at the door mirror motors.

Have you tried driving it at 60 mph on three wheels yet?

• Like 3

And not so old.

Discovery 2 here, and it is a great vehicle.

During last snow I extracted a car from a hedge where he had slipped off, I was happy to help.

Worst car ever in icy conditions - Merc 124 series.

During the winter my old 500sel spent more time in ditches than it did on the road. And it was always a Landrover that pulled me out. Truly a British tradition.

Allan.

• Like 2

A quickie from the archive, not sure where this is but what a feast for the eyes, quite a good turn out and it shows how conservative Rover were with their colour choices...

attachicon.gifRover Meet #1.jpg

The Coupe at the bottom right has a rare factory fitted option, a Hollandia electric sunroof, only fitted to a dozen P5Bs at most, the Webasto or Britax folding sunroofs being much more common.

Something I used to hear quite a lot when I had my two (often at Petrol stations) was ''they're rare things nowadays'' or ''you don't see many about anymore'', but for a low volume build there are a lot of P5B Saloons and Coupes still about compared to other classics. The production figures for all of the V8 engined cars are :

Home market Saloons = 10,341

Export market Saloons = 1,160

Home market Coupes = 8,195

Export market Coupes = 823

Total = 20,519. I'm not sure what the production figures for the earlier 3-litre cars are but I'd say the V8 survivors certainly outnumber them today. The 3-litres were built for longer, from 1958 to 1967 but the V8s were only built from 1967 to 1973, and by all accounts should have ceased production in 1971 when the Rover P8 was due to replace them, but this didn't happen because it was feared it would undermine sales of the very successful XJ6 line.

I'm now going to have to lie down in a dark room! What a lovely sight, personally I always prefered the saloon lines but that seems to be a minority opinion. Edited by w124bob
  • Like 3

Well it's a matter of personal taste Bob, I like both body styles but the Coupe edges it for me. The Saloon is very 'bank manager' while the Coupe has something of the night about it! Must confess, whenever I visit Gaydon museum and look at the Queen's P5b Saloon I do start to salivate a bit...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Worst car ever in icy conditions - Merc 124 series.

During the winter my old 500sel spent more time in ditches than it did on the road. And it was always a Landrover that pulled me out. Truly a British tradition.

Allan.

Nothing to do with the loose nut behind the wheel!

Looks like I should be going to have a shuftie at the grey P5B Coupe some time next week, the owner has sent me some more photos and a couple of videos with a thoroughly honest description which is very encouraging. He's not 100% certain he wants to part with it but we'll see what transpires. He's a detailer by trade and is still working on the paintwork so it's looking positive at the moment.

Smoke me a kipper for breakfast Binky, I'm going in...

post-7638-0-12464800-1516189436_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

My own restoration & pride and joy for about 12 years which i had to let go last year was this '49, 80" Landie Fire truck, at least i still have the 1938 built Standard Gwynne fire pump trailer which i'm hoping to keep and take to shows. :D

post-31611-0-72631200-1516191938_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-54771200-1516191827_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I should be going to have a shuftie at the grey P5B Coupe some time next week, the owner has sent me some more photos and a couple of videos with a thoroughly honest description which is very encouraging. He's not 100% certain he wants to part with it but we'll see what transpires. He's a detailer by trade and is still working on the paintwork so it's looking positive at the moment.

Smoke me a kipper for breakfast Binky, I'm going in...

attachicon.gif1971 Rover P5B Coupe UDW 447J #26.jpg

So are you actually selling the Mini to finance this or just the one kidney?  I think it is worth a kidney by the look of it.

Just veering OT for a second although you did bring the subject up Nidge.  The Sweeney.  Well the Professionals as well I guess.  Why was there always or nearly always a train in a shot somewhere?

• Like 1

So are you actually selling the Mini to finance this or just the one kidney?  I think it is worth a kidney by the look of it.

Just veering OT for a second although you did bring the subject up Nidge.  The Sweeney.  Well the Professionals as well I guess.  Why was there always or nearly always a train in a shot somewhere?

The Mini is going whatever happens Chris, I'll need the garage space anyway if things work out with the Rover!

As for The Sweeney etc - in some episodes of both shows there was the added on sound of a loco horn in the background, even when the location was nowhere near the railway! The filming of both series overlapped during 1977 and 78 as did some of the locations, Southall Gasworks is a good example, used in multiple episodes of both series, right next to the GW Mainline of course. Immediately springing to mind are the Western appearing in a 1975 episode of The Sweeney at Southall and a chase / fight scene shot at Imperial Wharf in Chelsea with 20 ton mineral wagons in view. In The Professionals one of Bodie and Doyle's safehouses is an old departmental coach in the sidings next to Battersea Power Station, while a HST and 47 hauled coal train are seen passing in the background when they drive down the road alongside Southall Gasworks, plus in a 1978 episode called 'Rogue' there are some scenes shot at Paddington with 50 010 and 50 049 clearly identifiable. I'm sure there are others too.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2