The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

He was shot, as was his mistress. Their bodies were then hung upside down. I wonder if that Alfa has internal hooks capable of load-bearing....?

Hell of a price to pay for making the trains run to time.  Is that what will happen to us if we talk trains in ER's??  :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There were quite a few of these engine swaps done on Minis in the early to mid '90s, I think the first Vauxhall 2 litre conversion I saw was done c.1994 by a young lad in his late teens or early 20s at the time so the insurance must have been eye watering. It had its own bespoke subframe and engine mounts, can't remember which gearbox it had though.

IIRC there is or was a Minivan featured in one of the magazines at the same time with a yank V8 mounted in the back...!

I remember Vauxhall fans going on about how much better the first 16 valve was than an Ecotec.

Then all the V6 Ecotec owners took the mickey mentioning that they were all more powerful than that first 16v

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I well remember pulling into the overtaking lane coming up to a set of red lights alongside a boy racer'd Nova, the lights changed while we were both still rolling and he got ahead of me and stayed there. Considering I was in a 4.0 Jag XJ40 this was most embarrassing. Unfortunately we never had a repeat with in my friend's car- he had a XJR at the time, 4 litre supercharged V8 and just shy of 400bhp, there weren't many boyracermobiles that would upset that.

Traffic light GPs ignored the XJ40 was a lovely car though, especially for the £950 it cost me.

My parents out TLGPed XR3s on two occasions

1) Reliant Rialto

2) Hillman Avenger Estate

I had one brilliant one with my Sunbeam, the warm hatch trying to burn me off had to change gear when I hit powerband!

My parents out TLGPed XR3s on two occasions

1) Reliant Rialto

2) Hillman Avenger Estate

I once did it with an Optare MetroRider 23 seater minibus, now that was embarrassing for him!  :sarcastichand:

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 4

Choosing such a showy jobbie suggests that Il Duce rather wanted to be stopped. I'd have done a run for it in an invisible s/h Fiat Balilila

I think it was a lamp post they displayed him on; I reckon that 1939 Alfa predates internal coat hooks.

I first noticed coat hooks for aspiring young execs in early 1960s Cortinas.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

I followed a P plate Lexus Soarer up the M6 towards Penrith yesterday, pretty standard in dark green. l can't actually remember seeing one these when they were new! Also on the opposite southbound carriage way near Tebay aprox '68-70 Hillman Hunter.

• Like 1

I followed a P plate Lexus Soarer up the M6 towards Penrith yesterday, pretty standard in dark green. l can't actually remember seeing one these when they were new! ....

That's probably because they were never sold new here, only in Japan. There was a fashion in the mid to late 1990s for importing them secondhand into Britain. 4-ltr, V8 automatic.

I followed a P plate Lexus Soarer up the M6 towards Penrith yesterday, pretty standard in dark green. l can't actually remember seeing one these when they were new! Also on the opposite southbound carriage way near Tebay aprox '68-70 Hillman Hunter.

The Soarer wasn't ever sold here officially, so any that you see have been privately imported.  A friend and work colleague owned a couple of Soarers, which he was kind enough to let me drive.  Lovely cars, full of interesting engineering, although heaven knows what would happen if it went wrong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's probably because they were never sold new here, only in Japan. There was a fashion in the mid to late 1990s for importing them secondhand into Britain. 4-ltr, V8 automatic.

There was a fashion for importing Japanese motors into the UK by those wanting Japanese "reliability" at a low price. S/H Japanese cars are apparently inexpensive owing to their vehicle ownership laws, which partly explains why they dump a couple of boatloads a week in New Zealand.

There was a fashion for importing Japanese motors into the UK by those wanting Japanese "reliability" at a low price. S/H Japanese cars are apparently inexpensive owing to their vehicle ownership laws, which partly explains why they dump a couple of boatloads a week in New Zealand.

....and a surprising number end up in Mongolia, as well as in and around Vladivostok, both areas known for driving on the other side of the road.

Edited by Horsetan

Time for a few from me in the Waterloo area fairly recently. My work was based under Waterloo station, with an exit out into Lower Marsh (think Ian Allan shop). Every 3rd Saturday there is a free gathering of classic cars, to promote the market and local shopping. All sorts attend, for shorter or longer periods. The last one I looked at was on 18/11/2017:

post-2049-0-52458400-1514580577.jpg

post-2049-0-73049500-1514580588.jpg

post-2049-0-89527300-1514580596.jpg

post-2049-0-91997000-1514580611.jpg

post-2049-0-66276200-1514580625.jpg

post-2049-0-79746300-1514580634.jpg

post-2049-0-77980700-1514580646.jpg

post-2049-0-54169200-1514580665.jpg

post-2049-0-92269500-1514580674.jpg

post-2049-0-43898900-1514580688.jpg

post-2049-0-96365800-1514580700.jpg

post-2049-0-06794500-1514580713.jpg

post-2049-0-40683900-1514580725.jpg

post-2049-0-97059300-1514580739.jpg

Stewart

post-2049-0-11317500-1514580916.jpg

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I once did it with an Optare MetroRider 23 seater minibus, now that was embarrassing for him!  :sarcastichand:

Brilliant

I also once killed a hot hatch TLGP by riding between the rows and beating both of them on my bike (only a 250 as well).

My Sunbeam though pulled a very high first so was not quick 0-10 unless I stressed the transmission, but would hit 60 in second. So warm hatch really did think it had a chance, but I hit 4000rpm when they hit red line.

• Like 2

Time for a few from me in the Waterloo area fairly recently. My work was based under Waterloo station, with an exit out into Lower Marsh (think Ian Allan shop). Every 3rd Saturday there is a free gathering of classic cars, to promote the market and local shopping. All sorts attend, for shorter or longer periods. The last one I looked at was on 18/11/2017:

attachicon.gif95JWN Waterloo 18-11-2017 Bristol..jpg

Thank you for posting those pics ...

but Good Grief !

What butchery has been perpetrated to that poor Bristol 404 beyond the windscreen  ?

dh

• Like 1

Must admit I prefer a Bristol KSW highbridge myself though!

Stewart

While I prefer the lowbridge K5G myself in NWRCC route 28 to Hayfield (and Kinder Scout) mode, this is the wrong thread for such pics.

But does the Bristol link originate with Bristol Tramways to bus chassis and then via the Tramways to Aeroplanes @ Filton, thence to post war cars?

dh

Edit

Found something on the family here

https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Sir%20George%20White,%201st%20Baronet

But I half recall reading about a more recent heir to the Tramways fortune very recently

Thank you for posting those pics ...

but Good Grief !

What butchery has been perpetrated to that poor Bristol 404 beyond the windscreen  ?

dh

That would be a Bristol 405 convertible, boddied by Abbot's of Farnham (possibly better known for the estate versions of the Ford Consul, Zephyr and Zodiac).  It's too long to be a 404.  There was one convertible Bristol 404, also by Abbot's.  I much prefer the Bristol 405 with its four-door saloon bodywork.

Surprise sighting at the dump, sorry, recycling centre, this morning. An immaculate Austin Heavy 12 in dark blue.

The driver confirmed it was a 12 when I asked if it was a 12 or 14 and then qualified it by saying Heavy version.

Bit different from the estate cars and 4x4s that are usually there!

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When I went out on Friday I espied two interesting/unusual vehicles. The first was a GMC pick-up from the late 50's/early 60's, this was in the 'rough' paintwork condition that seems to be the fashion nowadays. The second was a Morris Minor 1000 van but instead of the standard van 'box' the van part was very like the Traveller but without windows and not even a splinter of wood in sight. Both vehicles were spotted in Benfleet but as I was driving I was unable to take any pics.

• Like 1