The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Have bookmarked it, but lack of headrests is a bit of a killer. 1971 models did have headrests as an option. Potentially VED-exempt if can be got running.

• Like 1

To be honest I prefer the pictures of the more mundane above to the supercars but each to their own.  Apart from the E type I can say I have driven all of the above at some point over the years/  Learnt in an Imp.

Difference between an E type Jag and an Aston Martin was that the Aston could stop but the E type couldn't !

The late Collin Massingham of MTK and El Crappo Kits once took me out in his E Type and wrote it off on the Denham roundabout. "Was always expecting something like this" he explained as a tow truck towed away what was left of it "The damn thing would never stop when you wanted it to "

• Like 3

Well, I can certainly see some styling cues from the old Defender in the rear half of the car, whilst the front end is obviously based on that from the current Disco and the Range Rover. However the new shape will take some getting used to after nearly 70 years of variations on the old one - I've heard stories of soldiers etc marooned in inhospitable terrain who saw the familiar Landy front end coming towards them and knew they would soon be home, with a confidence they would not have had had they seen a Land Cruiser or any of the Landy's other rivals.

Is it me though, or does there appear to be less ground clearance (especially assuming the vehicle is probably lightly loaded?).

Rather too much automotive plastic for my liking.

Ground clearance isn't absolutely essential these days, it appears...due to the electronic management of what the wheels do. {Take away any driver input, and it won't get stuck?}...and the performance of the tyres?

Oh well......

Points I note....try standing on the bonnet without risking damage?    How easy is it to effect bodywork repairs when out in the boonies?  [things will get bent...or is that no longer allowed in this modern world we live in?]

Is it possible to totally ignore the appearance of the vehicle in usage? 

Could a spare wheel be successfully bolted to the bonnet?

How easy will it be to 'bush-mechanic'  to keep it going? [My turn of phrase....aka bodge?}

Can one stand on the bumpers to get a better view?

Will it matter if the colour of each panel doesn't match its neighbour?

If driven through a hawthorn hedge, will any damage [ie, changes from when it left the showroom]....be ignorable?

How easy to change a lightbulb?

Is it totally uncomfortable to drive if over 6 foot 2 inches tall [the driver , that is?]

Methinks the plot is lost here....especially as it will probably be sold via a posh, clean, smelly-laden showroom....rather than  a shed?

I'll stick with thinking of owning a UMM Alter, thank you.   That is, when my Daihatsu [never knowingly washed!].....eventually crumbles..which is unlikely due to the thickness of steel I've welded in...

I did notice clean bit down its side yesterday........seems these Tesco parking spaces aren't wide enough, after all.....so when someone parks next to me, not dead central to their bay....anyone passing down the side will wipe the muck off my Dai, and take it somewhere else.   cheaper than a car wash?  :)  :)

• Like 2

Ground clearance isn't absolutely essential these days, it appears...due to the electronic management of what the wheels do. {Take away any driver input, and it won't get stuck?}

Have you watched any of the videos on youtube pitting these new fangled electronic 4 wheel drives against a 'proper' 4x4 - no contest!

As to the new Defender, like the new Rangie & Disco - horrible. No character, no presence....and for some reason it reminds me of a Lada Niva....

I think, like you with your Dai, I'll keep my Grand Vitara (son borrowed it in the recent snow to get to work in Sennybridge. 3-4 inches of snow on local lanes, decent tyres but not specific winter or off road. Didn't even need to put it into low range)

Keith

...As to the new Defender, like the new Rangie & Disco - horrible. No character, no presence....and for some reason it reminds me of a Lada Niva....

Apparently retro design seems to sell well. I'm looking forward to a 21st century Hillman Imp or Singer Stiletto.

• Like 2

Rather too much automotive plastic for my liking.

Ground clearance isn't absolutely essential these days, it appears...due to the electronic management of what the wheels do. {Take away any driver input, and it won't get stuck?}...and the performance of the tyres?

Oh well......

Points I note....try standing on the bonnet without risking damage?    How easy is it to effect bodywork repairs when out in the boonies?  [things will get bent...or is that no longer allowed in this modern world we live in?]

Is it possible to totally ignore the appearance of the vehicle in usage? 

Could a spare wheel be successfully bolted to the bonnet?

How easy will it be to 'bush-mechanic'  to keep it going? [My turn of phrase....aka bodge?}

Can one stand on the bumpers to get a better view?

Will it matter if the colour of each panel doesn't match its neighbour?

If driven through a hawthorn hedge, will any damage [ie, changes from when it left the showroom]....be ignorable?

How easy to change a lightbulb?

Is it totally uncomfortable to drive if over 6 foot 2 inches tall [the driver , that is?]

Methinks the plot is lost here....especially as it will probably be sold via a posh, clean, smelly-laden showroom....rather than  a shed?

I'll stick with thinking of owning a UMM Alter, thank you.   That is, when my Daihatsu [never knowingly washed!].....eventually crumbles..which is unlikely due to the thickness of steel I've welded in...

I did notice clean bit down its side yesterday........seems these Tesco parking spaces aren't wide enough, after all.....so when someone parks next to me, not dead central to their bay....anyone passing down the side will wipe the muck off my Dai, and take it somewhere else.   cheaper than a car wash?   :)   :)

expected to sell 100,000 units in the usa alone apparently know one of the engineers who has worked on the driveline of this reckons its just as competent as his old defender just not much room for sheep ! tho a pickup and lwb station waggon are in the pipeline  

expected to sell 100,000 units in the usa alone apparently know one of the engineers who has worked on the driveline of this reckons its just as competent as his old defender just not much room for sheep ! tho a pickup and lwb station waggon are in the pipeline

Can we expect to see the new generation chugging about in various states of disrepair like the originals?

Have you watched any of the videos on youtube pitting these new fangled electronic 4 wheel drives against a 'proper' 4x4 - no contest!

As to the new Defender, like the new Rangie & Disco - horrible. No character, no presence....and for some reason it reminds me of a Lada Niva....

I think, like you with your Dai, I'll keep my Grand Vitara (son borrowed it in the recent snow to get to work in Sennybridge. 3-4 inches of snow on local lanes, decent tyres but not specific winter or off road. Didn't even need to put it into low range)

Keith

I did mean to imply, the electronics do better than an average driver.....not a skilled one!   Please, off-road, the Niva is streets ahead of the other two......[whilst I wouldn't thank you for the other two...except to ask, how much would I get for it/them, to sell straight away....I'd dearly like to have a decent Niva....]....I, too, have a ''Grand'' Vitara....I'm not sure about it really.....bit like a lorry in sheep's clothing?  Not as solid to drive as the Daihatsu [it gave me a sense of 'wobbliness'?].....and that fuse box????  :(........plus, the spares & service items are a lot more costly, than the Dai's?

Still, when I get a round tuitt, I'll mott it and flog it, I suppose?  [it was purchoiced to do one job....but became redundant when I found I had finished  the fresh-air welding on the Dai much more quickly than I anticipated....joys of being retired?  It's a petrol too, so doesn't offend the easily offended.

Can I suggest some new air freshener scents for the new Discoveries? Starting with ''Wet Sheep?''

Can we expect to see the new generation chugging about in various states of disrepair like the originals?

Bet they won't chug anywhere once a minor sensory fault develops?

Wonder if there's a warning light on the dash....to warn the driver the car has got dirty?

• Like 1

..... could we please get back onto classic cars....

The CX went out for the Saturday run earlier. The main courtesy light and rear "spot" reading lights are all working, but I think the spots would be a better bet with LEDs:

post-6879-0-62405300-1514053491_thumb.jpg

Mobile phones don't do a good job of night shots, and the bloody camera shakes every time I press the shutter:

post-6879-0-14119700-1514053704_thumb.jpg

You can just about see the demister switch in the roof above. I've no idea what the illuminated "Auto" bit of it does.

post-6879-0-43810900-1514053940_thumb.jpg

...and I discovered on the back shelf that the car is equipped with roller sunblinds, so there was no need to have that Ford Capri-tastic louvre thing on the rear windscreen. When I get round to booking it into Brodie's for its first annual service, I'll ask if they can carefully remove the louvre panel.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 6

.bit like a lorry in sheep's clothing?  

Oh, I don't know, I find it quite driveable for what it is - I really enjoy leaving BMW & Audi 'drivers' for dead on roundabouts, after they insist on snuggling up to the towbar on the straight bit leading up to them...!  :)

• Like 1

Now that is a beauty.

Wouldn't mind an Estate version myself.

steve

Now thats the one version I have not had, hard to find here as they didn't import or assemble them. I did manage to get a couple of other private imports, 1200 Herald estate and Triumph 1300 FWD so an import big saloon estate is needed.

• Like 2

The Lada Niva is in fact a very competent 4X4. In fact its still in production but not sold in western Europe.

When I used to do offroading in the early 2000, I met a couple of guys who had them who said they were great. As cheap as a Suzuki SJ, but as capable as a Series Land Rover but distinctly warmer and more usable on a daily basis

• Like 5