The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

It's the size of the modern-day one against the original which shows just how much "bloat" has been added on, partly because of ever-evolving safety standards (y'know, the ones that make pillars thicker so that you can lose a whole pedestrian or more behind one, but at least you're safer) and partly because - let's face it - people have got a little bigger over the decades.

I had trouble getting into a proper Mini before I got into my teens, and I wasn't that oversized! My youth was spent in the no man's land of being too big for normal clothes shops, but too small for the outsize ones!

One things for certain. As subsequent Mk's of car have become larger, the Ford Cortina/Sierra being a good example, bl**dy car parking spaces have become smaller!

P

Bring back the Austin 1800 and Maxi. Thats what I say.

• Like 2

One things for certain. As subsequent Mk's of car have become larger, the Ford Cortina/Sierra being a good example, bl**dy car parking spaces have become smaller!

It's not only about the size of parking spaces though, people seem to have de-evolved the skills to park in them properly. I can get my 16ft long, 8ft wide over mirrors, vehicle into most spaces without too much trouble, but often have to abort my efforts, when I notice the weird angles and crossed white lines, that was the best that some drivers of small vehicles are capable of!

P

IIRC the Mk4/5 Cortina estate was longer than the Sierra equivalent. I remember seeing one a few years back (about the first time I'd seen one since my father switched from his company Cortina Estate to the first of his three Sierras) and being surprised at how long it was.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Its not so easy to squeeze in and out if you have mobility problems. Most supermarket parking bays are too small and the sizes have not been altered for many years.

Aldi (certainly around here) are a nice exception to that.  They have plenty of width to be able to open the doors without having to mind the paintwork or breath in.  Having said that some folk still manage to park right on or over the line!

Aldi (certainly around here) are a nice exception to that. They have plenty of width to be able to open the doors without having to mind the paintwork or breath in. Having said that some folk still manage to park right on or over the line!

That says a lot about their character.

Best one I saw was at St. Albans Sainsbury's earlier this year, where a mother had parked her Ford Galaxy MPV diagonally across a couple of disabled parking bays.... and left her lights on. It was so brazen, I'm still kicking myself for not getting the camera out.

• RMweb Premium

That says a lot about their character.

Best one I saw was at St. Albans Sainsbury's earlier this year, where a mother had parked her Ford Galaxy MPV diagonally across a couple of disabled parking bays.... and left her lights on. It was so brazen, I'm still kicking myself for not getting the camera out.

YPLAC fodder.

Sainsbury's, Pocklington...every bay has a hatched space either side..allows reasonable door openings.

Aldi, right opposite, has standard supermarket-width bays.

When-I-worked, my employer created a new staff car park for us........and a contractor marked out the bays......apparently there is a standard bay width & length all supermarkets use.....Needless to say, we complained about the small size of each bay......were basically told to 'get on with it'......so we used to fill the park, but only using alternate bays......which annoyed a certain Colonel who always arrived later than everyone, and could only park his big beemer between two other cars.....but rarely if ever next to my disgustingly dirty daihatsu Fourtrak [never knowingly washed].......Should be more free space by the end of this year...it appears an awful  lot of others have decided to follow my lead.....and retire!!

That'll give them a recruiting problem!!!     

Edited by alastairq

Nice street scene from the 1950's.

38484502022_5e40431b0d_b.jpgFrom the office window (pp,016) by Geoff Dowling, on Flickr

P

Really nice little Austin 7 special in the middle there. I wonder if its one of the famous (in A7 circles at least) ones as it looks to be quite a decent one. I jettisoned all my A7 material 20+ years ago, unfortunately, so I've no way of checking that almost legible number. The windscreen is quite distinctive, so might provide an identifier.

• Like 1

One of the advantages of driving an old car is that parking spaces are large enough. That written I still pick up dents even though I try to park right over one side of an end bay if I can. MGBGT over took me slowly on the A14 a while ago. As it came past I really appreciated just how small it looked in amongst modern traffic.

The Elan looks like a toy in modern traffic. I see a white fixed head from time to time around here – it looks fabulous – such a neat compact car.

Somebody please stop me from going to have a shuftie at this...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C527013

At least it'll stop me looking at Porsches...!

If that's "NSU 570", there's probably none better. It was the personal car of Simon Kremer, who founded RoTechniks in Grazeley. He died of cancer, aged just 53, and his business was eventually taken over by Turnabout, who still operate from the same premises and who have been trying to sell this car for well over a year. They mostly do Mazda rotaries nowadays, but will still repair and service Ro80s.

Clearly £10k is still too strong for a very original Ro80, when a decent one (on the rare occasion that it comes up) still only tips £6-7k.

Only 30 or so cars on the road this year.

• Like 1

What make of car is that behind the A7 special? I think its may be a Rolls but I'm not sure.

From the photo caption in Flickr

For transport minded people the interest will be in the cars parked along the now pedestrianised street. Right to left we have a black Vauxhall Velox, an MG Magnette, a lovely little Austin 7 special, pehaps an Ulster, overshadowing the Austin is a stately Rolls-Royce saloon dating from the late 1930's, following on is a Ford Consul, and two Austin A30's sandwich an Ausin A50. Nearest the camera are a Morris Oxford, Morris Minor and earlier Ford Consul.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Somebody please stop me from going to have a shuftie at this...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C527013

At least it'll stop me looking at Porsches...!

The fact that it comes with spare engines and a gearbox would not

fill me with confidence .

I'd rather poke my eyes out with blunt needles than spend that sort of

money on a car like that .

Just give me one of your minis if you want to throw money away .

Does that help .    :sungum:

• Like 2

The fact that it comes with spare engines and a gearbox would not

fill me with confidence .

You think it's easy to buy spares for a car like this, just like that? Spare powertrain is a bonus.

I'd rather poke my eyes out with blunt needles than spend that sort of

money on a car like that ....:

I regret having to sell mine. Wish I still had it.

• RMweb Premium

Ivan , I spent my working life as a mechanic/technician , I know all about the problems

that running old out of date cars will bring , so I'm sorry but I find it hard to be sympathetic

to those that do and then find they are saddled with a wallet emptying vehicle .

• Like 1