The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

I love these guess-it photos.

Is that an Austin A55 Cambridge under the LH tall tree?  Again, made in Australia. {2 tone green]

I would say so, with a Wolseley 1500, Morris Major/Austin Lancer next to it (without seeing the side trim, it's impossible to say which, but my money's on it being a Lancer).  I don't know what the big American car on the road is but most likely it would be Chevrolet or Pontiac.  Interestingly, I can only make out four Holdens: a 48/215 (commonly but not officially called the FX), an FJ, an FE and an FC.  Looks like an Austin behind the Vauxhall.

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 1

Unusual 'classic car spot' today while I was working - slowing down near Oakley for the approach to Bedford North Junction with a ballast train, looking to my left I noticed what looked to me like the back end of fibreglass Ford GT40 replica body in the back garden of a house which sits between the railway and the adjacent A6 dual carriageway. I'll have a closer look next time I'm passing!

• Like 3

Plenty of old cars in this photo, taken by my father in 1959, not long after we arrived in Australia.  It was taken during a day trip down the Illawarra coast with some people we met on the boat on the way out.  None of us are in the photo, but they are all lined up next to our Hillman Minx.  No, we didn't fit seven people in the Minx, they had their own car, a Ford Prefect E93A, on the trip, but it's out of the photo (parked in front maybe?).  I'm not sure of the exact location, but I'm pretty sure it's Austinmer.

attachicon.gifAustinmer.JPG

Here's another photo taken that day - a bit further up the road.  The Riley was going too fast for the camera....

post-30099-0-75511400-1507545328_thumb.jpg

SaveSave

• Like 11

Unusual 'classic car spot' today while I was working - slowing down near Oakley for the approach to Bedford North Junction with a ballast train, looking to my left I noticed what looked to me like the back end of fibreglass Ford GT40 replica body in the back garden of a house which sits between the railway and the adjacent A6 dual carriageway. I'll have a closer look next time I'm passing!

Probably this site?

Just sent my 1967 Morris Minor, Kate, to the menders. It may look reasonable in this view but most of the floor is missing. I foresee lots of money changing hands.

attachicon.gifKate.jpg

Good luck with the work, as you say classic car restoration is not cheap when you pay somebody to do the work.

Just had my refurbished engine block back yesterday along with all the pistons/shells/seals to rebuild the engine for the Land Rover. I had a mad panic as it arrived a day early so my wife received delivery, I had a nervous drive home hoping they hadn't stuck the invoice on the outside of the package.... thankfully they hadn't.

• Like 3

Lets hope he doesn't get confused with where he is taking the Moggy!

He didn't, Kate is now with a friend of many years one Kevin Parker. When we arrived at his work place, I found he had two other Minors there, a Traveller and a backless Pick-up. The arrangement is, there is no rush, if I can get Kate to next years East Yorks Morris Minor rally at Sewerby Hall, Bridlington, that will suit me just fine. Tomorrow's first job is sweep up the heap of rust in the lock-up garage which was most of Kate's floor! 

• Like 1

.....most of the floor is missing. I foresee lots of money changing hands.

attachicon.gifKate.jpg

At least with the Minor, you can still get most of - or possibly all of - the panels. Not a luxury afforded to the CX, unfortunately, and what new stuff is available is mostly held by a bunch of profiteers in Germany.

At least with the Minor, you can still get most of - or possibly all of - the panels. Not a luxury afforded to the CX, unfortunately, and what new stuff is available is mostly held by a bunch of profiteers in Germany.

Halfords catalogue of parts they could supply listed Minors under the Rover name. When B.L. disappeared to it's Germany owner, it was queried as to if Minors would carry the B.M.W. tag.

The couple of U.K. dealers who went under the name of Morris Minor spares were visited and told that name was now owned by B.M.W. and therefore they could not use it. I believe a court found in the dealers favour and they still trade using that name as before.

• Like 1

The couple of U.K. dealers who went under the name of Morris Minor spares were visited and told that name was now owned by B.M.W. and therefore they could not use it. I believe a court found in the dealers favour and they still trade using that name as before.

Same thing happened to people like Minisport, Minispares and other purveyors of parts for proper Minis....!!

• RMweb Premium

...and probably no power steering either. How did we manage without it?

Fifteen years ago I went on Holiday to Malta where I hired a small car that happened to have power steering, which felt weird at first until I got used to it. The problem arose when I got home and got back into my own car, a larger and heavier model without power steering, I nearly put it through the brick wall opposite when driving off of my drive.

...and probably no power steering either. How did we manage without it?

And Russ Swift didn't invent the handbrake turn parallel park until 1988....

Apparently he was filming a TV ad and originally shot an ending where he did a sort of inside-out J-turn and skidded backwards into a parking space but the Authorities decided that was too dangerous and people might copy it, so he came up with the handbrake parallel park instead!

• Like 2

Fifteen years ago I went on Holiday to Malta where I hired a small car that happened to have power steering, which felt weird at first until I got used to it....

Interesting.

I'm in Malta on holiday at this moment and have been watching from a high balcony macho drivers parallel parking at high speed in a narrow Valletta Street.

They can't all have lekky steering, we're awaiting crunching sounds.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

Electrically-assisted steering can be lethally light. I had Fiat Puntos in Ireland, and once forgot to switch off the "City" steering function when on the motorway. It was very very twitchy!

I had a rental Punto when I visited the UK in 2001. I don't recall the City/Highway steering mode switch making a blind bit of difference to anything. Maybe it was suffering a bout of Italian electrics :D.

It was quite a fun little beastie though. The Italians don't seem to have got the memo decreeing that all small/economy cars must be as dull as ditchwater.

• Like 1

As the owner of a Fiat Panda and three Puntos previously,the city setting on the power steering cuts out around 30 mph.

I've always left it on the city setting without any problems.

After a week driving my brother in laws Mercedes 320 CLK on holiday my arms now feel like Popeyes!

What a joy to get back into my Panda,so responsive and easy to drive.

• Like 1