The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Yes thank you...!! 

However, having called racing mamby pamby, I have to say you'd never get me on one of those sidecar things...!!  :O

Keith

Oh I did'nt do circuit racing , I did hillclimbs , much more fun .   :O

Thought you might have been one of those nutters that go off to the Isle of Man every year...!!

Son & I like doing hillclimbs too - or did before the ridiculous new MSA rules on head restraints put a stop to it. Maybe we should trade the Mini in for a sidecar outfit...!!  :no:

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the night I wondered whether that little car might have been a Cloverleaf Citroen - much favoured for dignified slow transportation by rotund cassock clad French curés until the arrival of the 2cv.

This morning checking this out proved a dead end but I did unearth:

Automobiles Rally

after googling vintage car radiators which proved to be a visual feast (my dad trained me into car indentification by radiator and badge recognition).

I rather fancy buying one of those radiator shaped hip flask tucked into the door pocket of the battered Mondeo to pass over to Miss Daisy in the back whenever she gets alarmed by my driving.

Thank you for that. I hadn't thought of the Wye valley; clearly the small Celtic fields are hardly south downs!

dh

Several makes had the headlamps so mounted in the mid 20's including Pergeot and an obscure short lived British maker Rhode.

• RMweb Gold

This, I think, is the last of the family's old cars - new to them - old to us!

post-14351-0-34640100-1503355339_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-69945500-1503355340_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-23349900-1503355342_thumb.jpg

The next photo is of Marjory in the pits at Brooklands racing circuit. I have had it confirmed by Andrew Lewis,  Curator of the Brooklands Museum & Archive, that this is indeed Brooklands. He says of the figures on the right 'A second look at the photo leads me to recognise Sammy Davis, the noted Bentley driver next to Seagrave.' Henry Seagrave is in driver's overalls on the right.

post-14351-0-05604400-1503355344_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-92854200-1503355345_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-70670300-1503355347_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-45101800-1503355349_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-25022300-1503355351_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

We enjoyed our first Maxi.

I enjoyed our two Maxis - both of them ended their long sensible lives nobly enduring cold dark winters outside our house..
dh

However our second HLS must have been one of the last with dumbed down black painted bumpers.  In the picture below taken before we sold it in 1985 it seems to be rusting nicely under the headlights. I do believe it had to have a complete engine rebuild at c20,000 miles but that was after we had parted with it.
Ray

36564361052_03a6093931_b.jpg
c1984 - One of the last Maxis from 1981

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Russ

A maxi 2, the E series engine is normally pretty long lived

The longevity of the engine might have had something to do with the car being serviced on the day the dealership anoounced that it was going into liquidation.

Ray

c1984 - One of the last Maxis from 1981

The good old VK index mark.

Maxi, I think it was a BL selling point that with the seats folded down a two six footers could lie down and stretch out with room to spare. Good job too, as the 0 to 60 time was rather soporific.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If anything, it's got worse as drivers have become taller. Wouldn't like to be a back-seat occupant in a good many of today's cars.

Some of the 'airline' seats on modern trains are ridiculously close together. Most of my journeys now are on 313s and 377s, which are OK in that respect, but I used to hate having to use a Cross Country Voyager, between Reading and Oxford, when I used to visit my mother in Oxford. They verge on being claustrophobic. I am only just over 6ft, so taller folk must find travelling long distances a real pain.

Edited by phil_sutters

What would a Maxi have looked like if the design hadn't been forced to use Austin Landcrab doors to save money?

Halleluja! It might have looked like the Concept Aquila or the Morris Nomad.

....BL selling point that with the seats folded down a two six footers could lie down and stretch out with room to spare. Good job too, as the 0 to 60 time was rather soporific.

....unless you had a Downton Engineering-tuned car. Do any of those survive?

• RMweb Gold

....unless you had a Downton Engineering-tuned car. Do any of those survive?

I didn't know Downton had done a maxi but as they did most of the BMC range its not surprising.

I certainty haven't heard of any surviving when I've been to BL shows and on forums.

Would love to find out more

• RMweb Gold
105bhp not to bad 10bhp more than the later HL, 7000rpm wouldn't think it would stand that too often there is a risk of turning a cam bucket over on these engines at that speed, seen it a few times on the later O series.

Would like to know what an E series does with the twin 40DCNF Webber's from the later but similar R series from the early MG Maestro

Shame they didn't give it minilites

Edited by russ p
  • Like 1

Presumably the same mods could have also been applied to the 1750 Allegro which, given that its' a smaller car, would have been even quicker.

But extremely scary on corners! My unmodified one was nice and quick in a straight line, but I needed to do a quick bit of double de-clutching to get out of fifth gear when approaching corners, especially if I knew there were potholes that would try to throw the car across to the other side of the road :O.

• Like 1