The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Things you see when you're walking down the street #3 - this time some Ford Falcons seeing as how we've been talking about them:

33082135086_dbee5beaeb_b.jpg

33082129336_31126b02f9_b.jpg

32997083911_6c808d4c96_b.jpg

32278730784_8a9ae5eeb1_b.jpg

33082069546_68da2b60e8_b.jpg

32997045191_0eeaa1aecf_b.jpg

33123925725_f691d17501_b.jpg

The second photo is the odd one out - I took it in San Remo in Victoria - the rest are in NSW - the first one is in Kiama and the others in various parts of Sydney.

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 11

I think that would be badged as a Humber Super Snipe or Imperial in the UK. Presumably in Oz they stuffed a huge engine in it.

Ed

Rootes/Chrysler mucked about with the Hillmans and the smaller Humbers (as in, for example, the Hillman Gazelle and the Humber Vogue Sports, which both had Sunbeam Rapier engines) but, as far as I'm aware, the larger Humbers (this one was a Super Snipe) were the same specifications as the UK ones.

I'm not at home to check sources, but think the Piper accident was just that - a genuine and unplanned crash, on the way from Arnage to Maison Blanche.

Yes, I know. What I was trying to say, not at all clearly on re-reading my post, was that they still used the footage in the final film, despite the seriousness of the crash.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Rootes/Chrysler mucked about with the Hillmans and the smaller Humbers (as in, for example, the Hillman Gazelle and the Humber Vogue Sports, which both had Sunbeam Rapier engines) but, as far as I'm aware, the larger Humbers (this one was a Super Snipe) were the same specifications as the UK ones.

The big Humbers had a hemi-head straight six of 3 litres. I think they may have increased the capacity on the later models.

I think that would be badged as a Humber Super Snipe or Imperial in the UK. Presumably in Oz they stuffed a huge engine in it.

Ed

Funnily enough, no. AFAIK it was still the Humber Super Snipe and still had the 3-litre Rootes engine. Quite popular and long lived too. I see far more Super Snipes here, even now, than I ever did in the UK.

• Like 4

When Chrysler took over, They thought the Humber Imperial would suit the 383 ci Hemi and 8 were produced in this form, but the British thought they were too powerful for British roads.

One of the originals turned up in, I think, Custom Car or Street Machine back in the eighties.

John

I was there! My Prakticamat drowned, directly leading to my buying my first Nikon.

You jammy old dudders you...!!! I can imagine the soundtrack, it must have been fabulous Ian. Just got back from 'Race & Retro' at Stoneleigh where as usual my eyes were out on stalks and my poor old wallet got a thorough drubbing from the booksellers once again, still that's a few more Alfa / Lambo / Maser volumes to add to the creaking bookshelf (something new to read on those long night time ballast jobs too), plus a 1970 Le Mans repro poster for the garage wall once it's been painted. Parked outside the entrance to the show were several wonderful period rally cars which I'll post pics of once I've edited the images down a bit, namely a Porsche 911T in 'German Racing Green', an oh so pretty Alfa 105 series Bertone Coupe, a Lancia Flavia-Zagato S and a Mk1 Lotus Cortina. There were others but my camera batteries gave up, typical! The Alfa really did hit the spot to my admittedly biased eyes, there's not a line, curve, proportion or detail out of place on these lovely cars.

There was some series kit on display indoors as usual, including two genuine 911 RSs in full motorsport trim (one being a very rare RHD example), plus a replica RS based on a 1980 911 SC which would easily have fooled me had I not read the blurb on it. Absolutely beautiful to behold but shockingly fragile was one of the nine Lotus 49s in 'Gold Leaf / Team Lotus' livery, in fact one of three which were given two separate identities in period. The cockpit of this 1968 season car seemed tiny, the steering wheel even more so. Not far away was the 1957 Vanwall of Sir Stirling Moss fame, which compared to the Lotus 49 looked positively ancient and quite a handful just standing still. 'Star car' for me though has to be the blood red Alfa Giuletta SS Coupe which I didn't managed to photograph, an exquisite, delicate and very feminine looking machine and no mistake.

Every time I go to these shows I come away with bolstered daydreams and a slight feeling of pointless but palpable angst, as I know short of a windfall I'll probably never own such delights. Doesn't stop me looking at the ads though...

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

.....(I have other 'Alfa female' pics which might get me barred if I posted them...!)

I'm almost tempted to scan my original NSU Ro80 Presse book and give you all an eyeful. If you want German girls and very very dodgy (and I mean very very dodgy) late '60s/early '70s fashion, this is the book to look at. The car is almost an afterthought.....

• Like 3

Funnily enough, no. AFAIK it was still the Humber Super Snipe and still had the 3-litre Rootes engine. Quite popular and long lived too. I see far more Super Snipes here, even now, than I ever did in the UK.

About the only Super Snipe I've ever seen is about three inches long, electric and runs on a grooved road on my father's layout!

• Like 1

This is one of my Dad's cars from the 50's.It was nicknamed the Shitehawk because of the bird emblem at the front.

All I can Tell you is that it's an Allard and I believe had a Ford V8 and that it very obviously had to go once kids started to arrive :(

From what I can see from the number of seats (2) and the body shape and squared grill it looks most like a K1, but the vents on the side of the bonnet and wheel spats at the rear are more like those seen on other models.

I wish I'd asked him more about it when I had the opportunity, but hopefully someone here can tell me a bit more about it. Sorry about the picture quality it was scanned from an old slide.

post-23233-0-48286900-1488328014.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 7

About the only Super Snipe I've ever seen is about three inches long, electric and runs on a grooved road on my father's layout!

Would that be the Triang-Minic model by any chance? I remember them from an old (~1968) catalogue. IIRC there was the civilian saloon and also one with a flashing light on it. Fire Service? Even when I was quite young I thought the Super Snipe was an interesting choice for a mainstream toy manufacturer.

This is one of my Dad's cars from the 50's.It was nicknamed the Shitehawk because of the bird emblem at the front.

All I can Tell you is that it's an Allard and I believe had a Ford V8 and that it very obviously had to go once kids started to arrive :(

From what I can see from the number of seats (2) and the body shape and squared grill it looks most like a K1, but the vents on the side of the bonnet and wheel spats at the rear are more like those seen on other models.

I wish I'd asked him more about it when I had the opportunity, but hopefully someone here can tell me a bit more about it. Sorry about the picture quality it was scanned from an old slide.

attachicon.gifScan15.jpg

Certainly looks like a K1. I suspect that Allards, being individually hand built, varied quite a lot in detail even within ostensibly the same model range. Not being an Allard expert I can't contribute much except to say that the original engine would certainly have been a Ford flathead V8 and the front suspension would have been the extremely exciting L M Ballamy pattern swing axle variety. Independence was achieved by sawing the original Ford beam in half and pivoting each half on a bracket in the centre of the front chassis crossmember. Whilst I have no direct experience of such a system, my experience with rear swing axles makes me suspicious of any advantage gained over the standard beam axle. My father claimed to have driven a couple of Pops so converted in the 50s and reckoned them to be a little hairy even with their modestly tuned 1172 sidevalves. Goodness knows what the much more powerful Allards were like. Sydney must have been a brave man to achieve his Monte Carlo class win :D.

Things you see when you're walking down the street #4 - seeing as how I posted some photos of Ford Falcons, here are some Holdens to balance things up:

32370668223_5b3b6dbf59_b.jpg

32370766523_937cf38e90_b.jpg

32340859944_cbe8767f2f_b.jpg

32803520580_e04dccf9e7_b.jpg

33186047205_805b537f68_b.jpg

33058137591_02a1b2672f_b.jpg

33144130746_7598c4a342_b.jpg

32370780023_44476c48a6_b.jpg

33144208836_84b9881bff_b.jpg

• Like 10

Things you see when you're walking down the street #4 - seeing as how I posted some photos of Ford Falcons, here are some Holdens to balance things up:

32370668223_5b3b6dbf59_b.jpg

33186047205_805b537f68_b.jpg

The shape of the windscreen and rake of the front doors are very Corvair-inspired.

They are getting the Insigia next year.

Boring

My deepest sympathies go out to them. Holden was perhaps the final flicker on the flame that was once GMs line-up of charismatic cars, the way the Monaro stood out in the Vauxhall range was testimony to that.

I've owned numerous Vauxhalls and had some real gems (a succession of Astra GTEs followed by a tamer 1.4 mk3 when the kids came along) but a return a couple of years back with an Insignia company car foisted on us by an all Vauxhall policy was pitiful. Thankfully the Astra loan car the dealer handed out on all bar one of the Insignias lay-ups was a very nice Elite auto, not the greatest driving car but much better screwed together and a very pleasant all rounder.

When the time came, I opted out of company cars rather than face the torture of another Insignia.

Edited by RANGERS

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I know. What I was trying to say, not at all clearly on re-reading my post, was that they still used the footage in the final film, despite the seriousness of the crash.

Keith

The problem with crashing a 917 was that they had a terrible tendancy to break in half, throwing out the pilot. This was found at Le Mans '69, when John Woolfe crashed fatally on the first lap. I think Chris Amon in a following Ferrari 312P drove through the wreckage, which had bounced back onto the track, an experience he found rather demotivating. Ferrari didn't seem to understand this.

Would that be the Triang-Minic model by any chance? I remember them from an old (~1968) catalogue. IIRC there was the civilian saloon and also one with a flashing light on it. Fire Service? Even when I was quite young I thought the Super Snipe was an interesting choice for a mainstream toy manufacturer.

Yes, that's the one - standard version without the flashing light.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

August Bank Holiday weekend is sometimes the time for a BikeFest in Seaford, down on the Sussex coast. However not all participants' machines are bikes. There are a good number of classic and interesting cars as well. This batch was from the 2009 BikeFest, when we had just moved down here. 

post-14351-0-59322600-1488409038_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-31029300-1488409023_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-45959500-1488409026_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-37210100-1488409031_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-35077800-1488409035_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-85496400-1488409042_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-46774300-1488409058_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-39651500-1488409049_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-77883400-1488409062_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The problem with crashing a 917 was that they had a terrible tendancy to break in half, throwing out the pilot. This was found at Le Mans '69, when John Woolfe crashed fatally on the first lap. I think Chris Amon in a following Ferrari 312P drove through the wreckage, which had bounced back onto the track, an experience he found rather demotivating. Ferrari didn't seem to understand this.

Quite Ian, quite...

post-7638-0-08955800-1488451654.jpg

They really are fragile old things...

post-7638-0-72748500-1488451844.jpg

On a lighter note, imagine it's 1971 and you pull into a service station and this arrives...

post-7638-0-85591800-1488451753.jpg

• Like 5