The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

In Malta in the mid sixties I sometimes rode on an ex 1930s LT AEC Q to Valletta to visit Government from the office.

There were many fascinating vehicles, family owned and operated (in those days with boy conductors who would descend to fold and re-erect pushchairs for young mothers).

All the Gov had to do was to station policeman with whistles as 'dispatchers' at the termini and employ teenagers as "inspectors" to check the familiies were issuing tickets (for the pooled takings to be shared out between the owners - with of course a slice to the Government. 

Nowadays, instead of collecting their steady revenue stream, goodness knows how much it costs the Government to pay the Spanish operator who came in after the Germans.threw in the towel.

Curiously Arriva re-deployed their Benz Bendy-buses threading through Malta's labrynthine Arab village cores that Boris had slung off London's streets - moreover they employed a steady stream of Arriva drivers from Leicester on 6 month 'busmens' holidays' to drive them !

dh

• RMweb Premium

In Malta in the mid sixties I sometimes rode on an ex 1930s LT AEC Q to Valletta to visit Government from the office.

There were many fascinating vehicles, family owned and operated (in those days with boy conductors who would descend to fold and re-erect pushchairs for young mothers).

All the Gov had to do was to station policeman with whistles as 'dispatchers' at the termini and employ teenagers as "inspectors" to check the familiies were issuing tickets (for the pooled takings to be shared out between the owners - with of course a slice to the Government. 

Nowadays, instead of collecting their steady revenue stream, goodness knows how much it costs the Government to pay the Spanish operator who came in after the Germans.threw in the towel.

Curiously Arriva re-deployed their Benz Bendy-buses threading through Malta's labrynthine Arab village cores that Boris had slung off London's streets - moreover they employed a steady stream of Arriva drivers from Leicester on 6 month 'busmens' holidays' to drive them !

dh

And the bendy buses still carried on with their habit of self immolation. Which reminded me of when I visited Malta in the early 80's an earlier generation of ex London buses had just been placed in service, the AEC Swifts which seemed to have been quite successful, more successful than they were in London. There only problem was at the time there were a lot more tight corners in the Maltese villages and I watched one having to shunt too and fro to get around a corner.

• RMweb Premium

I think that that shot actually confirms it is Karlsruhe. The basic layout is the same. The roofs have changed colour and the garden has been replaced with paving, but the key features - the central turret with two small flanking ones, at the end of the main building, at the back and the two wings with further turrets at each end - are there. In the top right-hand corner, at the end of the ribbon of text, there is what looks like a different, perhaps more old-fashioned, spelling of Karlsruhe, spelt with a C.

Phil ,

my photo was to confirm that is not the place in the advert .

Is Arriva German for 'we spoil everything!'

When Arriva was launched it was claimed that it meant nothing rude in 16 languages, what it means in no 17 is not recorded!

And the bendy buses still carried on with their habit of self immolation. Which reminded me of when I visited Malta in the early 80's an earlier generation of ex London buses had just been placed in service, the AEC Swifts which seemed to have been quite successful, more successful than they were in London. There only problem was at the time there were a lot more tight corners in the Maltese villages and I watched one having to shunt too and fro to get around a corner.

Like there predecessors it is debatable  how much of the bus shiped out was leftas they were normally rebuilt with a mid engine and manual gearbox and a rebuilt body

P6 Estate?  Wow, didn't know there was such a thing.  I always liked the Triumph 2500 estates.

A fine looking example here of a 3500S Estoura in 'Tobacco Leaf' baby poo brown, note the 'H.R.Owen' dealer sticker in the rear window and on the number plate, most if not all of them were sold through this dealership...

post-7638-0-19542800-1486720480_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

When Arriva was launched it was claimed that it meant nothing rude in 16 languages, what it means in no 17 is not recorded!

Like there predecessors it is debatable  how much of the bus shiped out was leftas they were normally rebuilt with a mid engine and manual gearbox and a rebuilt body

Some went to the Maltese education department and remained as built right down to the dual passenger doors. I remember one when I visited Malta in 2003 converted to mid underfloor engine with raised floor but still carrying its London fleet number transfer in the drivers cab (IIRC SMS 515).

A fine looking example here of a 3500S Estoura in 'Tobacco Leaf' baby poo brown, note the 'H.R.Owen' dealer sticker in the rear window and on the number plate, most if not all of them were sold through this dealership...

attachicon.gifQA 2713735652_86919d39ba_o.jpg

I remember seeing one of these in Edinburgh in 1977 or 1978, but I'm pretty certain the roofline at the rear sloped downwards a bit more and the rear window wasn't so high.

attachicon.gifQA 2713735652_86919d39ba_o.jpg

Nice looking car, although the back end looks more than a little inspired by a Morris 1300 estate!

Keith

• Like 1

I remember seeing one of these in Edinburgh in 1977 or 1978, but I'm pretty certain the roofline at the rear sloped downwards a bit more and the rear window wasn't so high.

They were all modified by hand at Panelcraft so there are some differences in the way the conversions were done, some had internal rear hinges and some had external ones, most had vinyl covered roofs but the odd one or two were left uncovered...

post-7638-0-44627700-1486726750_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-19574300-1486726803.jpg

post-7638-0-21020700-1486726832.jpg

This was H.R.Owen's demonstrator...

post-7638-0-64782500-1486726860.jpg

post-7638-0-31622000-1486726898_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-40031200-1486726930.jpg

Grand Prix Models do a nice miniature...

post-7638-0-05660100-1486726978.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I'd seen pictures of them but didn't realise there was this many.

I believe there was only one SD1 estate which was apparently used by Michael Edwards

On the P6 was the roof panel changed or extended?

• Like 2

I'd seen pictures of them but didn't realise there was this many.

I believe there was only one SD1 estate which was apparently used by Michael Edwards

On the P6 was the roof panel changed or extended?

The SD1 Estate is at Gaydon Russ, and very handsome it is too, it's a pity the idea never gained any ground.

A bit more info on the P6 Estouras.... the very first conversion was done by Panelcraft in the second half of 1967 when they purchased one of the Rover press fleet demonstrators directly from the factory. 'KXC 142D' was a LHD 2000TC but by the time Panelcraft had finished with it, it had become a RHD estate car. The roof panel was all new from front to back and made from aluminium, and the new tailgate was fabricated using the bottom half of the existing bootlid. The rear bulkhead part of the base unit had to be modified and a new 15gal fuel tank was fitted in the floor. In 1968 the Rover boffins gave this prototype the once over and gave Panelcraft the go ahead to do more conversions and even honoured the warranty on any donor car. In April '69 Panelcraft started converting customer's own cars and one of these (a 'Three Thousand Five' V8) appeared on the Crayford stand at the Earls Court motor show in October that year. Panelcraft and Crayford had entered an agreement to market the finished cars but soon fell out when Crayford started putting their own badges on the cars. With this agreement now in tatters Panelcraft started selling the next lot of conversions through Hurst Park Automobiles, a Surrey based Rover dealership (still a going concern now, dealing in classic Rovers and Jags), they charged £680 plus purchase tax which at the time was more than the cost of a brand new Mini 850! Along with the conversion job they offered some optional extras which the standard factory built saloons didn't have, namely a Coenan sliding sunroof, similar to the Webasto type, a purpose built interior chromed roof rack and electric windows. Alongside the Hurst Park franchise Panelcraft sold the cars through H.R.Owen who also offered customers the same optional extras. It's thought that the H.R.Owen cars also had Triplex heated rear windscreens and rear wash / wipers fitted. The highest body number found so far on a surviving car is 157 which accounts for the 160 total build estimate, but this doesn't take into account all of those sold through Crayfords. One car was definitely fitted with a higher roofline than the rest, a 3500 registered '2299 KM' and the prototype car survives although it lost it's original reg' number and now carries 'JCY 907D'.

They were all modified by hand at Panelcraft so there are some differences in the way the conversions were done, some had internal rear hinges and some had external ones, most had vinyl covered roofs but the odd one or two were left uncovered...

attachicon.gifRover P6B Estoura _3500_station-side3.jpg

attachicon.gifROVER P6B ESTOURA 1972_Rover_P6_Estate_Wagon_For_Sale_resize.jpg

attachicon.gifROVER P6B Estoura Estate #2.jpg

This was H.R.Owen's demonstrator...

attachicon.gifROVER P6B Estoura Estate #3.jpg

attachicon.gifROVER P6B Estoura Estate #4.jpg

attachicon.gifROVER P6B Estoura Estate #5.jpg

Grand Prix Models do a nice miniature...

attachicon.gifROVER P6B Estoura GP Modles.jpg

The square-ish rear hatch arrangement with the finned tail-lights reminds me of something that Hillman or Singer might themselves have designed.

There were a few of these DS Transporters, apparently. Something similar was done later on with the CX Breaks which were much lengthened, had an extra rear axle added, and turned into overnight newspaper delivery vans.

Some madman over here decided to create his own RHD version of the CX newspaper van, God only knows why.

There were a few of these DS Transporters, apparently. Something similar was done later on with the CX Breaks which were much lengthened, had an extra rear axle added, and turned into overnight newspaper delivery vans.

Some madman over here decided to create his own RHD version of the CX newspaper van, God only knows why.

I remember the six-wheel CXs; they used to use the Tunnel in the very early days. For whatever reason, they had to use the Freight Shuttles, so there's be several in the Allocation Lanes when I'd be going in on Nights.

• RMweb Premium

The DS never had the greatest of turning circles, manouvering one of the extended ones must have been like docking a supertanker.

I remember the six-wheel CXs; they used to use the Tunnel in the very early days. For whatever reason, they had to use the Freight Shuttles, so there's be several in the Allocation Lanes when I'd be going in on Nights.

Here's the mad fella who paid to have his perfectly good CX Safari turned into the only RHD Loadrunner replica

You have to wonder sometimes why people make irreversible changes like this to an already rare car, but I suppose if they're happy with it, that's all that matters. I wish him luck if he ever ends up trying to sell it, because the only person who would want one badly would have to be a Loadrunner enthusiast.

Lovely stuff Phil - is there anyway of telling externally whether the Notchback Mustangs are straight sixes or V8s...?

In the '70s and '80s there used to be quite a lot of American cars round here but they all seem to have disappeared. Someone I used to work with had a yellow Boss Mustang for several years and one of the regulars at our local Sainsburys had a massive white Cadillac convertable as his daily transport, he used to park it sideways taking up four 'normal' parking spaces. One of the lads at work currently has a '71 Camaro in bright yellow with Wolfrace wheels. I've always a bit of a thing for late '60s / early '70s muscle cars but never taken the plunge, maybe one day... very partial to the old Dodge Challenger shape (as in 'Vanishing Point').

• Like 3