The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

That is a shame, if nothing else you would think the windscreen etc would be useful for someone, it is not like auto windscreens are going to keep one in stock..

Its almost certainly 'safety glass' rather than laminated and likely to disintegrate if an attempt was made to remove it. Having said that the chrome window surrounds looked in good nick and its a pity that they were not recovered. For that matter perhaps items such as the windscreen could be recovered, with the aid of an angle grinder, simply cut through the metal above and below. Other components such as rear light clusters have some value as spares too.

Its almost certainly 'safety glass' rather than laminated and likely to disintegrate if an attempt was made to remove it. Having said that the chrome window surrounds looked in good nick and its a pity that they were not recovered. For that matter perhaps items such as the windscreen could be recovered, with the aid of an angle grinder, simply cut through the metal above and below. Other components such as rear light clusters have some value as spares too.

I agree, sometimes its the little things that have the greatest rarity value, I am sure an advert on Ebay/Autotrader/gumtree etc that the car was being broken up would have yielded some interest in some bits of it, to just scrap the whole car is a crying shame.

• Like 1

I agree, sometimes its the little things that have the greatest rarity value, I am sure an advert on Ebay/Autotrader/gumtree etc that the car was being broken up would have yielded some interest in some bits of it, to just scrap the whole car is a crying shame.

Unfortunately the guy could only keep the car on the truck for a finite time and had no where else to store it.

I also thought it a crying shame that the car couldn't be used as a source of spares. But it seems when advertised, people either couldn't be bothered or wanted something for nothing.

Why the guy didn't strip off the bright work or any other useable parts I don't know- I don't know him personally, it was just a friend of mine who was helping him recover the car. As I said, the owners club were contacted, but they poo-pooed the car, so it got weighed in for scrap.

Unfortunately the guy could only keep the car on the truck for a finite time and had no where else to store it.

I also thought it a crying shame that the car couldn't be used as a source of spares. But it seems when advertised, people either couldn't be bothered or wanted something for nothing.

Why the guy didn't strip off the bright work or any other useable parts I don't know- I don't know him personally, it was just a friend of mine who was helping him recover the car. As I said, the owners club were contacted, but they poo-pooed the car, so it got weighed in for scrap.

Such shortsightedness from the owning group, any group worthy of the name should have somewhere to store a car full of spare parts even if its just a corner of a yard for a week while any parts are removed.

Chances are that the owners club would already have more than enough spares of the parts that would be salvageable from this car from cars they have dismantled over the years.  The few bits you could get from one in this condition would have also been salvaged from every car that has been scrapped unless those parts had suffered accident damage.  I doubt if there would be any mechanical parts that could be used either, due to corrosion and whatever had failed prior to the car being left there.  The club probably has too many of some parts and the usable parts you can get from rusty wrecks would be at the top of the list of parts they don't need.  Owners clubs just don't  generally have the space or resources to store parts ad infinitum.  We don't know what the club's stock levels and sales figures are, nor do we know how much storage space they have, so we're not in a position to say what they should or should not have done - just say for example (and I'm just inventing figures here) that the club has 30 windscreens and 20 chrome surrounds and have sold 2 and 0 of each respectively in the last 10 years.

Edited by Wolseley

I used to pull the toughened  windscreens out of BMC Farinas, as a hamfisted teenager, with no problems at all. Whilst I haven't done a comparison myself, I'm told by people who handle auto glass for a living that, counter-intuitively, laminated screens are more prone to handling damage than toughened. It's only when subjected to high speed stones and the like that laminated scores.

I used to pull the toughened  windscreens out of BMC Farinas, as a hamfisted teenager, with no problems at all. Whilst I haven't done a comparison myself, I'm told by people who handle auto glass for a living that, counter-intuitively, laminated screens are more prone to handling damage than toughened. It's only when subjected to high speed stones and the like that laminated scores.

A laminated screen is easier to damage but the damage will probably just be a crack, A toughened screen is much more difficult to break but when they do go boy do they explode!

Having seen a toughened screen bend but not break while it was being removed I was surprised how much abuse it could take, on the other hand I have seen another screen 'let go' at much lower abuse levels.

I hate doing windscreens!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This talk of breaking glass reminds me of an incident with a relatively new Peugeot 306.  It had been put away in the garage for the night and I had gone back later on an unrelated matter.  I could hear a noise which I couldn't identify - perhaps mice?  On further inspection the rear window of the 306 was gradually disintegrating - a bit like spontaneous combustion.  It was replaced free of charge by Peugeot without any explanation.

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Question: Can you remove the spring on the HIF choke and leave it off? I would like to use the standard moggy choke cable on it, and that can't have a return spring behind it as it doesn't have any locking mechanism.

Andy G

Today I removed the choke spring on the HIF 38 on the moggy, and fitted a solid cored choke cable. I can confirm it does indeed work pefectly!

BTW you can now get solid cored push-pull cables again from: http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/push-pull-cable-black-6ft-long

Andy G

• 2 weeks later...

is there anyone on here preferabley from the northwest of england who know someone who has a ford capri (the older the better ) for a vintage photoshoot as the one i was going to use has been sold there may be a payment for time expenses 

also looking for similar vehicles for similar projects 

• Like 1

When you say "similar", what would you define as "similar". Only Capris? Only Fords? Or only coupes?

vintage cars from the early sixties through to late seventies from all manufacturers modified customised stock or concourse photoshoots would be with models in vintage/pinup style clothing of the period of the vehicle as stated a small fee and expenses can be covered plus copies of finnished images 

vintage cars from the early sixties through to late seventies from all manufacturers modified customised stock or concourse photoshoots would be with models in vintage/pinup style clothing of the period of the vehicle as stated a small fee and expenses can be covered plus copies of finnished images 

Ta. That rules out the late 1980s Citroen CX I've got my eye on.

Well, I said goodbye to my '73 XJ6 today, after nearly two months of being mucked around something chronic by timewasters and no shows I've just sold it to a TV producer from Norway who's going to use it in the Scandi version of 'Top Gear' next year. Sad to see it go really but I wasn't using it half as much as I should. I dare say I'll have another Jag at some point.... or maybe another Rover P5B.... or another P6... or.... or.... oh dear, it's started already... :biggrin_mini2: 

Well, I said goodbye to my '73 XJ6 today, after nearly two months of being mucked around something chronic by timewasters and no shows I've just sold it to a TV producer from Norway who's going to use it in the Scandi version of 'Top Gear' next year. Sad to see it go really but I wasn't using it half as much as I should. I dare say I'll have another Jag at some point.... or maybe another Rover P5B.... or another P6... or.... or.... oh dear, it's started already... :biggrin_mini2:

Hope they look after the Jag Nidge, looked a beauty.

is there anyone on here preferabley from the northwest of england who know someone who has a ford capri (the older the better ) for a vintage photoshoot as the one i was going to use has been sold there may be a payment for time expenses 

also looking for similar vehicles for similar projects 

Somebody once left their business card under the windscreen wiper on my Wolseley asking me to contact them about photography using the car.  I didn't take them up on the offer.

• Like 1

Somebody once left their business card under the windscreen wiper on my Wolseley asking me to contact them about photography using the car.  I didn't take them up on the offer.

will be very popular for vintage & pinup style pics most photographers are looking for something unique and different american pickups and modded ford pops abound but something out of the ordinary gets you noticed so may be the reason for the aproach but your perogative to go with it or not and can understand reasons for and against 

oh and damn fine motor had a mate who had a seven seat diesel estate was a beautifull smooth drive over the bumpy moorland roads and that interior so comfy

There's a 1990 Heuliez-built DTR Turbo 2 Safari on eBay at the moment. Too big for me - I've only just got enough room for the saloon. Heuliez continued building the CX Estates on a limited basis for 2 years after Citroen stopped production of the saloons.

• RMweb Gold

Don't you fancy an SD1 vitesse Nidge? Great spares availability nowadays