The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

How Many Left suggest four thousand-ish MG3s about so it' still pretty rare.

I kind of thought about looking at one but I wasn't sure about reliability and the paucity of dealers wasn't reassuring.

I think there may have been a little bit of scope creep from "just get the bits sorted for the MOT":

post-7400-0-10667400-1459961573_thumb.jpg

The chassis has since been painted (Frost chassis black) and is going to get dinitrol inside the chassis as even though it is Galvanised as I don't want to take any chances.

• Like 8

I am sure it will be great when it is back together...... Mind the spare washers though.

It is more shortage of washers at the moment from loses incurred in battles with the angle grinder 

• RMweb Premium

Our 1.1L K series did it's head gasket - in a Rover 111 - shame as it was a fine engine.  Coolant levels were always fastidiously checked, it still died.  I always liked that little car, it was fun to drive.

As for Cleese, I recall seeing the training video about RP -  received pronunciation (shudders) - when they were trying to make me into a naval officer.  It had striking similarities to a python sketch, and must have been made from the same footage, or what was left on the cutting room floor anyway. 

• RMweb Premium

I have never posted on this thread much to everyone's relief. However, I just have to tell you that today I saw a very nice Ferrari that once belonged to Alain Prost. It was absolutely fantastic and seemingly worth about a million quid. I was told he was given it after he won the F1 Championship but I don't know about that sort of stuff, sorry.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

Our 1.1L K series did it's head gasket - in a Rover 111 - shame as it was a fine engine.  Coolant levels were always fastidiously checked, it still died.  I always liked that little car, it was fun to drive.

As for Cleese, I recall seeing the training video about RP -  received pronunciation (shudders) - when they were trying to make me into a naval officer.  It had striking similarities to a python sketch, and must have been made from the same footage, or what was left on the cutting room floor anyway. 

The problem with the K series was people didnt change the anti freeze, the corrosion inhibitors broke down over time and then the water would basically eat the cylinder head, then people wondered why the coolant level kept dropping but there wasnt a leak, eventually the head would crack between the water jacket and the combustion chamber with the potential for quite a spectacular fountain as the coolant system was pressurised.

End result one scrap engine/car, which was a shame because the Rover 214 etc was quite a nice car.

My old one has patches on the patches and is structurally, a bit iffy.  I considered the Heritage shell option, even seriously considered using my Midget as a donor for a Westfield XI, but really couldn't justify spending that much on something which will only get occasional use.

attachicon.gif26139306735_664de82362_o.jpg

Now I have this one the challenge is how to keep it rust free!  the shell has been soda blasted to bare metal, etch primed and the underneath stone chipped and top coated, but my concern is the sills and other box sections.  Reading up on the options Dinitrol seems to be held in higher regard than Waxoyl; anybody on here got experiences, good or bad, with these or any alternatives?

Many years ago I had an original mini that had been owned from new by a BL development engineer, who had passed it on to his MUM for a runabout, and I bought it from her - he had filled all the box sections with cavity wall insulation foam - and the sills were like new, despite it being about 16 years old when I bought it. A great fun car to own.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

I've been going through some old car mags again... can it really be almost forty six years since the Rangie broke cover...?

post-7638-0-67462800-1460198503_thumb.jpg

And mention of David Bache over in the excellent 'designer...' thread has prompted me to dig this out...

post-7638-0-86416800-1460198682.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7

Went to the electric railway museum open day today, these are a few of the vehicles that were there.

post-11572-0-78633000-1460220951_thumb.jpgpost-11572-0-77747700-1460220952_thumb.jpgpost-11572-0-73368700-1460220953_thumb.jpgpost-11572-0-18852200-1460220981_thumb.jpg

The gallery with the rest of the photos is here now:

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 5

Berummm! Love it....Obviously taken on a day when I was not cycling around?

Bottom photo...at least 2 PB Victors!

Also, what looks to be the front of a '50's Westy?

Top photo is the same place, looking the other way.....is that a Farina Westy in front of the VW bus?

Sunbeam Talbot, Austin Devon, Humber [HAwk?] followed by a Minor van....

A couple of Fords parked up..an Anglia 105E, and what might be a Zodiac....but possibly a Zephyr?

Of course, there's a Mini in there too. Ford Thames [utilabrake?] on the right too.

Middle photo has a Ford [Consul?] Classic, sandwiched between 2 minis...

I cannot identify the car behind the Minor, parked on the right....possibly a [plastic] Singer?

Of course, we'd never get away with the reg number on the Moggy Thou on hte left these days, would we??   :)   :)

Edited by alastairq

Many years ago I had an original mini that had been owned from new by a BL development engineer, who had passed it on to his MUM for a runabout, and I bought it from her - he had filled all the box sections with cavity wall insulation foam - and the sills were like new, despite it being about 16 years old when I bought it. A great fun car to own.

Alfa tried a similar idea with the Sud....didn't stop the rot, however.....and made things a real pain for a Sud owner who tried to restore the thing...   :(

Seems as good a place as any to post these, some views around brum new Street in 1963, oh for a time machine... photographer unknown but he / she deserves a  proverbial pint or two...

Queens Drive...

attachicon.gifBNS #001 Queens Drive 1963.jpg

Station Street...

attachicon.gifBNS #002 Station Street 1963.jpg

Hill Street...

attachicon.gifBNS #004 Hill Street 1963.jpg

Wonderful portraits of the city and transport landscape in the mid 60s. Perhaps the most significant thing with these pictures is the only non-British built vehicles among all the cars, vans and lorries are two VW microbuses. I wonder what the shots taken in the same spots today would reveal?

Wonderful portraits of the city and transport landscape in the mid 60s. Perhaps the most significant thing with these pictures is the only non-British built vehicles among all the cars, vans and lorries are two VW microbuses. I wonder what the shots taken in the same spots today would reveal?

a sea of boring bmw Audi and vw rep mobiles interspersed with various chelsea tractors for the school run 

About five weeks ago I had ot walk up Hill Street to attend a railway medical near Snow Hill station, part of it was coned off for road works and what road space was available was certainly filled with Audis, Beemers and other VAG products!

The view down Queens Drive is now long gone under the '60s reconstruction of New Street station, more's the pity.

The Humber is a Snipe I fink?

Not entirely sure NHN, I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will be able to pin it down. I can confirm that the Almond Green / Old English White Mini partially obscured by the Vauxhall in the Hill Street pic is most likely a Cooper as it has the stainless steel brightwork round the top of the door. The less numerous 'Super' also had this embellishment but my money is on it being a Cooper, most likely a 997cc too as the 998 didn't arrive until 1964. There's an outside possibility it could also be a 1071 Cooper S which was introduced in March '63 but only 4031 were ever built and only 1085 of those were built in '63.

My OCD seems to be working fine today!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3

The reason why I asked is because, since the cars were released, I've seen fewer than 10 on the road during my travels. I'm sure Nanjing-MG must have sold a few more than that!

See MG3s quite often, and quite a few MG6s as well. The MG6 does appeal a bit from the press comments (suspect a major reason for limited sales is that they didn't fudge the cars to scrape a dodgy low CO2 figure).

There is an MG dealer on the other side of Stafford from me, and also one half a mile from work in Telford.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its definitely a Hawk, the Snipe has more chrome trim below the headlights. I'm not sure that it is a Westy parked behind the VW in the first pic. I think its one of the more 'up market' variations of the A55/A60 model, a Riley perhaps? The vehicle in front of the Zephyr on the left appears to be an FX4 taxi as can be seen in the distance on the same side.

• Like 1