The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Minisprints - love 'em!! There are still some nice original Neville Trickett examples about which turn up regularly at shows...

These two were at Beaulieu in June, the white / black one is 'VPR 470' which I think is the very first one built, appearing in some nice period adverts being driven by a very enthusiastic Stirling Moss...

post-7638-0-85266100-1411583671.jpg

post-7638-0-61007400-1411583804.jpg

post-7638-0-56230000-1411583972.jpg

Pete - the Fiesta Yellow Cooper S photo doesn't really do justice to the actual colour, it's a funny one that doesn't come across very well - especially when it's me trying to capture it! Always looks much nicer in the flesh I think.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Wife was a social worker at the time -  which may justify her driving a yellow 2CV :jester:

I've always been addicted to them (along with the corrugated iron Citroen van) ever since a Frenchman gave me a hair raising ride in one up and down the steps of a hilltop monastery in N France when I was a spotty youth biking along looking at roadside light railways in 1953.

2CVs were virtually new then and something of a rarity!

dhig

I have been in one and I thought it wqas noisy and slow and very odd

I prefered my mums car, a light weight fibreglass three wheeler with a hot cam fitted 750cc engine.

But anything 70s - I just like Rootes group

...but neater, though. A Mini with seams always looked to me as if it had been assembled using the same sort of press they use for hermetically sealing sardine tins.

Works in both instances though! With Minis the sills were the thing.....

Best, Pete.

I have been in one and I thought it wqas noisy and slow and very odd

I prefered my mums car, a light weight fibreglass three wheeler with a hot cam fitted 750cc engine.

But anything 70s - I just like Rootes group

Noisy and odd,certainly, but the slow bit is only true if you try to drive it like something which actually has some power but needs to slow down for corners. The trick with a 2CV is to wind it up as hard as possible and then not back off for anything. Yes, it'll drag its outside door handles on the ground under hard cornering, but once you realise that it's not actually going to fall over, you discover that the boingy suspension does an excellent job of keeping all four tyres on the ground and, consequently, gripping.

The 2cvs were second only to our old Land Rover in the Valleys in the snow for getting about - when everything else was stuck, our small Citroens would carve through with their narrow tyres, front wheel drive and high chassis.

They were cold, and I got very good at whipping the engines out to change the clutch or whatever, but I have a great fondness for them.

In progression, I had two Ami 8's, a 2cv and a Visa with the same engine. Followed by a BX 1.9 GTI.

As a child we had a couple of old ID's, and an Ami 8.

The 'rot' was always a killer to them, but the same could be said of many cars of the same era. It rather shows how much things have improved nowadays........

• RMweb Premium

Noisy and odd,certainly, but the slow bit is only true if you try to drive it like something which actually has some power but needs to slow down for corners. The trick with a 2CV is to wind it up as hard as possible and then not back off for anything. Yes, it'll drag its outside door handles on the ground under hard cornering, but once you realise that it's not actually going to fall over, you discover that the boingy suspension does an excellent job of keeping all four tyres on the ground and, consequently, gripping.

I recently bought an off roader and that actually handles quite well, just take it smoothly and it will go round, no roll either, but go too fast and it understeers.

Thing is it is not a sporty car but a great big truck on live axles, but it corners fine, it even accelerates to 50 pretty fast (Diesel).

My first 4wd, my first Diesel. My first non GM auto (GMs are fitted to lots of cars)

The best handling car I have owned was a small hatch from Rootes group!

Wife was a social worker at the time -  which may justify her driving a yellow 2CV :jester:

I've always been addicted to them (along with the corrugated iron Citroen van) ever since a Frenchman gave me a hair raising ride in one up and down the steps of a hilltop monastery in N France when I was a spotty youth biking along looking at roadside light railways in 1953.

2CVs were virtually new then and something of a rarity!

dhig

I remember when the car wash opened by the roundabout in Blaydon, back in the mid-1980s; someone decided to try it out on his 2CV..By the time the machine had passed over, it was reduced to wheels, floor-pan and engine. When I had a mobile wholefood business in the Tyneside area, around that time, spotting 2CVs outside houses was a good indication of a potential customer. The posher ones had Volvo estates.

• Like 2

Just having a quick trawl through my Mini files and found this mid '60s brochure for the pop star elite of the day...

post-7638-0-80421600-1411760536.jpg

And a real one in the flesh - a '66 Radford Mini De Ville Cooper S Hatchback belonging to a Mini Cooper Register member...

post-7638-0-16322300-1411761316.jpg

• Like 5

I remember when the car wash opened by the roundabout in Blaydon, back in the mid-1980s; someone decided to try it out on his 2CV..By the time the machine had passed over, it was reduced to wheels, floor-pan and engine. When I had a mobile wholefood business in the Tyneside area, around that time, spotting 2CVs outside houses was a good indication of a potential customer. The posher ones had Volvo estates.

Hang on! Was that ours?

I braved that Blaydon roundabout washer plenty of times with all our various wrecks over the years.

Don't remember your whole food van calling in though - and  a Volvo estate lived next door.

PatB, on 24 Sept 2014 - 00:30, said:

The wonderful thing about the 2CV is that you can take all the seats out, open the roof, and get ~15 people into it to get from your rented cottage in rural Wales to the pub. Apparently

I used to enjoy that cheeky 2CV mock Audi advert

"Four sprung seats for Picnic!"

;)

dhig

• Like 2

I know its an ad, but I know where I might be holidaying next year.

Its held mid October, might be just enough time this year.

Here is a link to the 2014 programme

It really is well worthwhile a visit

The first Grand Prix was an absolutely crazy 'Formula libre' race around the Valletta bastions three or four years ago with no crowd control, no nuffink.

Cars of all eras are entered - with a lot of either classic old British or old Italian, depending on which Football team the driver supports.

A word of warning though, don't take any car you really value along with you - I reckon the Sicilian mafia are across in force that week. :scared:

dhig

• RMweb Premium

A bit late for this years then, in the film I noticed a few British and Italian number plates. Visit Malta at any time and the streets abound with classic cars and trucks in everyday use, the climate and low mileage probably has a lot to do with it. A great pity that the traditional Maltese buses can only be seen as preserved examples now but that is inevitable I suppose.

Meant to post these ago - a nice view from the old Rover P5B driving across Hammersmith Bridge for a Sweeney Forum get together in April last year.... the Sweeney lookalike Mk1 Ford Consul in front belongs to Roger Chinnery of 'Affordable Classics' in Essex, don't bother asking if it's for sale, I've tried and failed! (It is available for hire though).

post-7638-0-21774100-1411835194.jpg

Some mates of mine with their old Vauxhall FDs on one of their 'Randall & Hopkirk' location tours a while back...

post-7638-0-24212600-1411836528.jpg

Back in May 2012 we all got together in our classic motors for a shameless but very enjoyable trawl round locations used in the 1970 Richard Burton film 'Villain', if I can find the photos I'll post a few. (If anyone is familiar with this we found the plastics factory in Bracknell where the robbery scene was shot, and looking around we recognised the area and realised it was also used in another early '70s flick, namely 'The Offence' from 1972 starring Sean Connery and Trevor Howard.)

Nostalgia - it's the way forward... ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

Sat on a ballast job at Rugby last night I was having another trawl through some old 'Motorsport' mags from 1971, wishing I had a time machine and a bundle of white fivers in my back pocket... here we go then, eyes down for a full house and no sighing at the back...

''Maserati 3500 GT Superleggera. This car has been my own personal transport for the last seven years. New car reason for sale, £750 o.n.o. Tel : London 485 1065''

''Aston Martin DB5, 1964. Excellent condition, low mileage, sundym glass, five speed 'box, radio etc. Growing family forces sale, £1,300 o.n.o. Tel : Rudgwick 543''

''Jaguar 3.4 Mk2, 1961. Automatic, power steering, engine as new, beautiful condition, finished in dark blue, £295. Tel : Lusty Glaze Beach, Newquay, Cornwall 2444''

''Registration number 'FPD 1' comes with immaculate grey Ford Zodiac, 1966. Under 15,000 miles guaranteed. Written offers only please, P.O. Box 2741''

''1953 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith, ex- Rolls Royce company car, immaculate, £2,000. Mr. Goult, The Dower House, Easton, Bath. Tel : Chewton Mendip 377''

''Bentley S1, sand over sable. Afortune has been spent on this car. Perfect, £1,750. Tel : Loughborough 78995''

''1964 Facel Vega II. Under 25,000 miles from new, 140mph automatic V8, electric windows, arial and performance, r.h.d, metallic silver blue and red leather, one meticulous owner until last October, outstanding throughout and at this mileage a unique motor car. A great French classic, £2,450. Private sale but part exchange considered. Tel : Hammersmith 741 0527''

''Registration number '1 BCH' on Triumph Vitesse, 1962. Good running order. Offers? P.O. Box 2751''

''Ferrari 250 GT 2+2, 'G' registration, l.h.d, metallic grey body in excellent order, new exterior chrome, mechanically sound and highly reliable, not concours but above average. Best offer over £1,000 secures. Tel : Huntingdon 3617 (evenings only)''

''Jaguar XK150 3.8S fixed head coupe, 1960. British Racing Green, immaculate, low mileage, radio, luggage rack, bills and history, £850. Mr.Whyte, tel : London 248 3628''

''Ferrari's most beautiful car, 0-100mph 19.5 secs, quote from road report on Ferrari Lusso. I have an immaculate example in red with black upholstery, low mileage, offered for sale at £2,799 o.n.o. Tel Knowle 4980 (private) or 021 440 1032 (business)''

''Performance Cars Ltd, Great West Road, Brentford, Middlesex (1 & 1/2 miles west from Chiswick Roundabout) : 1965 Jaguar E-Type fixed head coupe, 4.2, white / red leather, heater, wire wheels, disc brakes, leather steering wheel, history known to us.... £965''

Nurse.... pass the smelling salts!

• Like 2

I found an old car mag in my dentists waiting room in London. It reviewed the “Dino” - new price 2,250 quid.

“Villain” was a very cool movie. IIRC made by EMI at the height of it’s powers?

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

Sat on a ballast job at Rugby last night I was having another trawl through some old 'Motorsport' mags from 1971, wishing I had a time machine and a bundle of white fivers in my back pocket... here we go then, eyes down for a full house and no sighing at the back...

''Maserati 3500 GT Superleggera. This car has been my own personal transport for the last seven years. New car reason for sale, £750 o.n.o. Tel : London 485 1065''

''Aston Martin DB5, 1964. Excellent condition, low mileage, sundym glass, five speed 'box, radio etc. Growing family forces sale, £1,300 o.n.o. Tel : Rudgwick 543''

''Jaguar 3.4 Mk2, 1961. Automatic, power steering, engine as new, beautiful condition, finished in dark blue, £295. Tel : Lusty Glaze Beach, Newquay, Cornwall 2444''

''Registration number 'FPD 1' comes with immaculate grey Ford Zodiac, 1966. Under 15,000 miles guaranteed. Written offers only please, P.O. Box 2741''

''1953 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith, ex- Rolls Royce company car, immaculate, £2,000. Mr. Goult, The Dower House, Easton, Bath. Tel : Chewton Mendip 377''

''Bentley S1, sand over sable. Afortune has been spent on this car. Perfect, £1,750. Tel : Loughborough 78995''

''1964 Facel Vega II. Under 25,000 miles from new, 140mph automatic V8, electric windows, arial and performance, r.h.d, metallic silver blue and red leather, one meticulous owner until last October, outstanding throughout and at this mileage a unique motor car. A great French classic, £2,450. Private sale but part exchange considered. Tel : Hammersmith 741 0527''

''Registration number '1 BCH' on Triumph Vitesse, 1962. Good running order. Offers? P.O. Box 2751''

''Ferrari 250 GT 2+2, 'G' registration, l.h.d, metallic grey body in excellent order, new exterior chrome, mechanically sound and highly reliable, not concours but above average. Best offer over £1,000 secures. Tel : Huntingdon 3617 (evenings only)''

''Jaguar XK150 3.8S fixed head coupe, 1960. British Racing Green, immaculate, low mileage, radio, luggage rack, bills and history, £850. Mr.Whyte, tel : London 248 3628''

''Ferrari's most beautiful car, 0-100mph 19.5 secs, quote from road report on Ferrari Lusso. I have an immaculate example in red with black upholstery, low mileage, offered for sale at £2,799 o.n.o. Tel Knowle 4980 (private) or 021 440 1032 (business)''

''Performance Cars Ltd, Great West Road, Brentford, Middlesex (1 & 1/2 miles west from Chiswick Roundabout) : 1965 Jaguar E-Type fixed head coupe, 4.2, white / red leather, heater, wire wheels, disc brakes, leather steering wheel, history known to us.... £965''

Nurse.... pass the smelling salts!

Yes but, how much did we earn then? Personally as an apprentice telephone engineer, about £10 a week if memory serves. Cars like that were still way out of my league, just as they are today. I'm not one for the exotica, the only ones I would have considered would be the Vitesse and E Type, 

A work colleague of the time had 1GNN on the plate of the Triumph Herald he bought about 1970, transferred it to his Mk2 Cortina, then a Triumph Spitfire. When he got married a few years later he decided to sell the plate to raise some cash. The government of the day had set their face against anything which seemed a bit exclusive or different and made transferring number plates difficult and expensive. After many tries and continually reducing the price he got, I think, £400 and had to pay the fees as well!

Wonder what that's worth now?

• Like 1