The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

The one behind the Peel looks like a Goggomobile.

Cant see the front of the other-Reliant Kitten?

Steve

Yes it is a Goggomobile, notorious for rust! The car is not a Reliant Kitten, I have recently sold my Reliant Kitten van and it is nothing like it.

• 3 weeks later...

It's rather depressing when cars that were made years after I passed my driving test are described as old :cry:

Me too. I learned to drive on a 1925 Bullnose Morris Oxford Tourer, when Suez Crisis petrol shortages meant that learner drivers could take to the road without the bother of needing a qualified driver alongside. Happy days, salad days.

PB

Bond Equipe, used lots of Triumph Herald bits including the complete door assemblies.

Ed

Bond Equipe 2+2 o be exact. Built on the Herald chassis. The GT4S and 2 Litre used a Vitesse one.

steve

Quick wash, bit of T-Cut, and it'll look fine! 

attachicon.gifDSC02787.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02786.JPG

Morris Oxford Series 2

steve

• RMweb Premium

Me too. I learned to drive on a 1925 Bullnose Morris Oxford Tourer, when Suez Crisis petrol shortages meant that learner drivers could take to the road without the bother of needing a qualified driver alongside. Happy days, salad days.

PB

An elderly gentleman of my acquaintance about 30 years ago learnt to drive on a car steered by a tiller. 

• Like 1

My father learnt to drive in a Jowett Javelin. Unfortunately a couple of days before the test, his family were coming back from holiday in the Isle of Wight and felt something ground as they came off the ferry. On examination it turned out to be a badly distorted chassis. By some miracle they made it all the way to Didsbury before the chassis collapsed completely (as they pulled up outside their own house!).

So my father ended up taking his test in a car he'd never driven before - and passed!

• Like 1

My uncle recently purchased this little beauty and decided to be the poshest camper of all time and turned up at our family holiday in it! Needless to say, impromptu photography session.

post-7286-0-98012000-1376876307.jpg

Sam.

Now that most certainly should not be in an "Old Cars" thread - the E type is absolutely timeless!

My uncle recently purchased this little beauty and decided to be the poshest camper of all time and turned up at our family holiday in it! Needless to say, impromptu photography session.

Sam.

... and a very good picture too!

Bond Equipe 2+2 o be exact. Built on the Herald chassis. The GT4S and 2 Litre used a Vitesse one.

steve

Morris Oxford Series 2

steve

Sorry, I have to disagree about the GT4S.  I broke one up back in 82/83 and it was as Herald based as the 2+2 in the photo although the engine was in MkIII Spitfire tune.  It just had rather different nose styling with twin headlamps rather than the singles.  As with the car in the photo the chassis, floorpan, scuttle and windscreen surround were all pure Herald and thoroughly rotten, hence the scrappage.  The engine went into a Spitfire and the chassis, repaired and extended, went under a plywood bodied special which was never finished but which may yet turn up in the Bristol area to mystify auto historians.

I always thought that the 4-pot Bonds were a little awkward looking because they were constrained by the use of Herald panels.  The 2-litre appeared to be a complete new shell and so was much better proportioned.

What!      No old landrovers......

I'll have to put that right.

post-10324-0-34510200-1376897492_thumb.jpg

'Daisy' in Concourse condition at the Callander Classic. Shame about the mud.

Jim Smellie of 'Caley Coaches' fame was just a few yards away with his Triumph Vitesse.

post-10324-0-70982600-1376897515_thumb.jpg

A Rover run around the Perth area, in the rain. Again one or two railway modellers included.

post-10324-0-27773100-1376897557_thumb.jpg

And working for a living, collecting 500 kilo of Scottish pink ballast. Suitably weathered....

Daisy is a Landrover Series 2A 1966.

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I had an S2A 109", 1969, one previous owner, which I bought in 1983, with a genuine 20k miles on it. The one previous owner was Her Maj's Ministry of Defence, so when I first saw it at the "dealership" it had a rag top and missile racks in the back. It also had a heavy-duty chassis and twin tanks, as well as being 24 volt. They did it up to my spec, with freewheel hubs and overdrive, and a hard-top and roof rack with ladder up the back, and conversion to 12v - although the convoy lights underneath it all still worked. With the petrol engine it was dog-slow, but would tow a two-horse trailer with naggies on board. Delivering horse-manure to the Head Gardener at Sissinghurst (NT) is a favourite memory - she liked the stuff so much she asked for another load.

6 years later we replaced it with a 110 V8, which was a bit different....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

...which leads me to wonder - presumably there are people who put modern engines in old cars, or is it too difficult?

It isn't too difficult for those who have the skills to machine the bits that enable the transplant, I'm sure. And the manufacturers aren't above doing the same thing themselves, of course, with a model that has a long production run often being fitted with a newer engine design later in life. After all, the Rover P6 started as a 2-litre model, but a decade later was also being fitted with a 3.5 litre V8. I suspect it reduces the value of an older car, compared with fitting a refurbished version of the original engine. Provenance & authenticity are everything in older items, be they antiques or cars.

It isn't too difficult for those who have the skills to machine the bits that enable the transplant, I'm sure. ...

...and you do have to upgrade the brakes and suspension to cope with it. Sometimes the old gearbox will not work with the new engine, so you end up having the modern gearbox as well (not necessarily a bad thing). No point stuffing the TDi or TFSi engines from the Golf 6/7 into a Mk.1 Golf if the chassis can't handle it.....