The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Lovely pictures. The chap standing next to the Wolseley JNL 655 is clearly chatting on a mobile which wasn't around when they were made.

For those interested in seeing "in the flesh" and in the West Midlands, there is a substantial collection of Coventry and area built cars in the Coventry Museum of Transport. (Don't get too excited, "Transport" in this context means bicycles, motor bikes and cars - it doesn't run to trains and planes, although there are one each bus, truck and tractor). Looking around the 60's/70's display, and remembering just what lemons many were, kind of explains why there is not that much car manufacturing in Coventry now.

No connection with the museum, other than visited a couple of times.

• Informative/Useful 1

Perhaps it's the same one - this was in North Wales.

No. It was GRX858, and spent all its life in Berkshire, apart from the occasional holiday in Sussex or the West Country. As far as I know, it only paid one visit to Wales. It was the same colour though.

Edited by BG John

I'm mildly concerned that a Mk3 Capri and a VW Scirrocco class as "old" because of what that might say about me :D.  An Austin Cambridge that didn't get smashed to bits by the banger racing boys and a Herald 13/60 that didn't end up under a kit-car have a fair bit of rarity value and a degree of nostalgia for me as I spent my teens and early twenties keeping examples of both (well, it was an Oxford actually) running on a shoestring.  The Oxford is particularly well remembered as the only car I've ever inadvertantly spun.  In a lane only marginally wider than the Oxford's length.  Without hitting anything.  Jammy git :D.

• Like 2

So glad to see that the highway authority in the UK managed to collect tax from that exUSArmy tracked vehicle............

Best, Pete.

Edit: Note, I am being sarcastic here...............just to be clear...........

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

So glad to see that the highway authority in the UK managed to collect tax from that exUSArmy tracked vehicle............

Best, Pete.

Sadly Pete there is a ridiculous law that allows very old cars (and more polluting as a result) to travel around paying no road fund licence, yet a structure exists (albeit shallow and ineffective) that larger cars with higher emission rates pay more. It is a paradox but understandable when one examines the cockeyed priviledges 'motorists' still enjoy from laws passed when the car could do no wrong ( and the road lobby had real power) in the 50's and 60's. Thankfully times there are a changing...

• RMweb Gold

Merioneth registration!

This an age related re-registration and as such the car probably had nothing to do with North Wales, it could even have been GRX 858 concievably in it's previous life.

The DVLA recycle little used registration numbers from tuppennyhapenny counties in Wales and Scotland, such as Merionnethshire and Clackmannanshire, to ensure that cars are regidtered in period. They cannot be sold on as "cherished" numbers though.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

Sadly Pete there is a ridiculous law that allows very old cars (and more polluting as a result) to travel around paying no road fund licence, yet a structure exists (albeit shallow and ineffective) that larger cars with higher emission rates pay more. It is a paradox but understandable when one examines the cockeyed priviledges 'motorists' still enjoy from laws passed when the car could do no wrong ( and the road lobby had real power) in the 50's and 60's. Thankfully times there are a changing...

More than that. I can take my 40 year old MG Midget into London's Low Emission Zone with impunity. My VW camper (diesel) attracts a charge of £100 per day. Bit like allowing steam trains in smokeless zones really!

Ed

• RMweb Premium

I'm mildly concerned that a Mk3 Capri and a VW Scirrocco class as "old" because of what that might say about me :D.  An Austin Cambridge that didn't get smashed to bits by the banger racing boys and a Herald 13/60 that didn't end up under a kit-car have a fair bit of rarity value and a degree of nostalgia for me as I spent my teens and early twenties keeping examples of both (well, it was an Oxford actually) running on a shoestring.  The Oxford is particularly well remembered as the only car I've ever inadvertantly spun.  In a lane only marginally wider than the Oxford's length.  Without hitting anything.  Jammy git :D.

I've done that with an Oxford as well, right outside Seven Kings station. How I managed to avoid hitting either the traffic island or a line of parked cars I do not know.

• Like 1

This an age related re-registration and as such the car probably had nothing to do with North Wales, it could even have been GRX 858 concievably in it's previous life.

I don't think it lasted very long after Dad traded it in, although it was in good condition when he handed it over. It just needed new brake pipes as far as I remember. There are a few subtle differences to the two photos I've found showing parts of it. If by some chance it is, the wing and door mirrors and radio aerial need to be removed, as they're alien features it never had!

• RMweb Premium

Grandad - Morris Minor - our means to a day out to the beach.  Grandad and Gran in the front; Mum, Dad and 2 kids in the back and stuck in a long queue of traffic on the way home....and no passes ...by-passes, I mean. :mosking: 

"Those were the days, my friend" - oops, sorry, wrong thread... :jester:

Thanks for the this thread, DD.

• Like 2

That's not a Scirocco, but a Corrado. The G60 version was part of VW's attempt to introduce supercharged engines to a wider audience. They were not a commercial success, even though they worked quite well.

Pity no unusual cars: I like to see things like Ro80s, DSs, K70s....

• RMweb Premium

That's not a Scirocco, but a Corrado. The G60 version was part of VW's attempt to introduce supercharged engines to a wider audience. They were not a commercial success, even though they worked quite well.

Pity no unusual cars: I like to see things like Ro80s, DSs, K70s....

They'll start pouring in now, Horsetan...you watch...(hint, hint?  Everybody.....)

They'll start pouring in now, Horsetan...you watch...(hint, hint?  Everybody.....)

OK, twist my arm. Not really sure what most of these are, but a selection from the Rotherham show and the London-Brighton run mostly. 

post-6971-0-02321900-1372596498.jpgpost-6971-0-18307300-1372596499.jpgpost-6971-0-38585000-1372596500.jpgpost-6971-0-56003800-1372596501.jpgpost-6971-0-17601300-1372596504.jpgpost-6971-0-46950500-1372596505.jpg

Humber Super Snipe (my dad had one)

post-6971-0-87581300-1372596502.jpg

post-6971-0-02142000-1372596529.jpgpost-6971-0-13893900-1372596530.jpgpost-6971-0-20355400-1372596531.jpgpost-6971-0-56306300-1372596532.jpgpost-6971-0-51905500-1372596534.jpg

post-6971-0-97128900-1372596556.jpgpost-6971-0-06125500-1372596558.jpg

This one looks utterly bonkers, not exactly a wheel at each corner:

post-6971-0-65325400-1372596533.jpg

S-Cargo

post-6971-0-78141700-1372596559.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 13