The Chemin de Fer du Vivarais in 1982.

Afternoon All,

With the re-opening of the Vivarais imminent, a friend of mine thought that it would be appropriate to put some pictures taken on a visit in 1982 on Flickr.  This is the first one and, as usual, clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the others : 

9127599030_5f6677a969_m.jpg
Welcome to the Vivarais by TrainsandTravel, on Flickr

I went there myself in 2004 and a selection of my pictures is also on Flickr.  You may have seen them already, but if not, they are here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/sets/72157626800419173/

Hope that they are of interest.

• RMweb Gold

Super photos thanks to you both :)

I went with the parents in the 80's and the 82 set are exactly what I remember. Shame the dual gauge section won't reopen, we followed a TGV out as they had a diversion on due to engineering. No idea where my photos are but I'm amazed it survived with the very low service as that long line must cost a fortune to maintain. Glad it's going to open soon as it is a superb trip, but go prepared to be dumped for lunch at Lamastre as they turned the loco then went off for lunch for about 3 hours! Very nice food as I remember though.

Super photos thanks to you both :)

I went with the parents in the 80's and the 82 set are exactly what I remember. Shame the dual gauge section won't reopen, we followed a TGV out as they had a diversion on due to engineering. No idea where my photos are but I'm amazed it survived with the very low service as that long line must cost a fortune to maintain. Glad it's going to open soon as it is a superb trip, but go prepared to be dumped for lunch at Lamastre as they turned the loco then went off for lunch for about 3 hours! Very nice food as I remember though.

Glad that they are of interest.  As I understand it, very few trains on the re-opened line will do the whole line through to Lamastre.  Most of them seem to only go as far as Colombier-le-Vieux

where they have gone to the expense of installing a new turntable. 

The new station called Tournon - St. Jean is well out of Tournon; o.k. for those travelling by car, but not much good for anyone travelling to Tournon by train.

Archived