Class 66 photos

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Rather a squeeze down at Whatley Quarry a couple of days ago...

P1470534 (2).JPG

Typical depot layout with set-track and locos everywhere

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

See @Clive Mortimore, parking locos over points is allowed… 

Andi

Ah, but 66509 was actually moving over the points (note crew in cab) and into the depot, so that doesn't really count. To be honest, only two of the locos are "sheds"; two are 59s. But there were two other "sheds" out of shot to the left.

There is the typical "random wheelset lying around" visible though...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:
14 hours ago, Dagworth said:

See @Clive Mortimore, parking locos over points is allowed… 

Andi

Ah, but 66509 was actually moving over the points (note crew in cab) and into the depot, so that doesn't really count. To be honest, only two of the locos are "sheds"; two are 59s. But there were two other "sheds" out of shot to the left.

There is the typical "random wheelset lying around" visible though...

Particularly on a night shift you'll have locos stacked up on shed, potentially fouling pointwork. You'll get 3 locos in clear on each shed road (1.5 locos in the shed), one on the stump and a couple by the wagon shops. If that's all full, I've known locos sat by the bridge too. I think 11 was my maximum when I was down there.

I've known a loco on the stump be blocked in by those stabled on the shed road nearest the camera. The curvature onto the shed is so tight, locos have to be split before going on so as to remove the buffer lock risk. If the loco is a dead duck, wind the coupling right out and the fitters assist.

Chaos at Whatley, I don't miss it! Many was the time a call was made to loco control to say the booked 59 is blocked in, we're having the one at the front rather than a 2 hour shunt.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

One from about 12 hours ago.

Night Ranger

Former Euro Cargo Rail 66032, returned to UK spec after its time in France, is seen sat in Tytherington Quarry as the shovel goes off to get one of last load of stone to finish the train off. It is amazing how quickly two of those Liebherr machines can fill a train. The loco has been run round, train brake tested and ready to roll, running as 6M58, the 01.53 departure for Quainton Railhead.

Samsung S10 on Night Mode, still impressing me with its image quality.

Jo

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

These snaps were taken from a pedestrian level crossing north of Day's siding. There is a section of the line where the side view is obscured by a pallet company yard and other industrial units, so a long distant shot is all one is left with, unless one can delay one's trip to Lidl's in order to wait for the train to move up! The covered bins are for the flyash from the incinerator plant next door. It would not do to get it wet and claggy or be allowed to blow about. The loading area is one track across from the front of the train, so you get the kink in the wagons from this view point.

GBRailfreight 66793 at Days siding 8 6 2023 wide.jpg

GBRailfreight 66793 at Days siding 8 6 2023.jpg

• Like 4