Australia - Preservation Scene

DavidB-AU

Some Action from the weekend. double headed "R" class locos on "The Snow Train" special through Gippsland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4M6aPVdpqc

Sorry about the shaky start but I had the cam on full zoom which always exacerbates even the slightest movement even thou the camera was on a small tripod sitting on a cement stanchion base.

Edited by milkamn matt
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Transport Heritage New South Wales has released (yesterday) an announcement regarding 3801 and 3830 :

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/de9527c8f74a3fbc6e6f4e311/files/20150911_Media_Release_3801_3830.pdf

Cheers, Gary.

Hmm, a lot missing there. So what happened between 2011 & January 2015?

A lot of squabbling, back-stabbing and arse-covering over who would accept responsibilty for RAW Meiningen not being provided with a proper and complete specification for the new boiler.

I have to laugh when I recall that most of the justification for returning '01 to Thirlmere was the claim that 3801 Ltd had neither the money or the resources to rebuild the engine within a reasonable time. If the engine is returned to traffic in late 2017 it will have been off the road for slightly over 10 years, so that must be a reasonable time according to THNSW and it's predecessors.

I'm also amused by the comments regarding 3830 being repaired by Thirlmere while "respecting the conservation imperatives of MAAS." It was employees/representatives of the MAAS that buggered the engine in the first place.

Mark

A Few Photo's taken by my Dad in the very Early 80's of a ex WAGR W class at Armadale in WA when HVR were still running mainline trains. These are scanned from photo's printed from slides so quality's not that flash sorry. But still a bit of History, check out that extra water tender !!

The Station area itself has completely changed now and the station building itself (some of it just visible in the last photo), has been torn down and replaced twice in 30 years from the original historic station, to a plastic red one in the late 80's and now a more historic looking item ???????

3_zpsk71limy0.jpg

1_zpshvkeppkx.jpg

2_zpsxik41bvm.jpg

4_zpsrgnkk1st.jpg

5_zps7nhb9qbj.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stored QR Heritage 1651 was dead hauled from Redbank to Ipswich today. It has been used as a source of spare parts for 1620 but there are rumours about it returning to the main line as a backup for the class leader.

Also note 1746 is freshly outshopped from overhaul and repaint.

Cheers

David

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those that have yet to hear, Lithgow State Mine Railway's railcar set (661/726) traversed the section of line between Kandos and Rylstone on Saturday. This was the first time a train has traversed the line since 2005, and was a major occasion. Footage from Tickhole Productions:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some slightly dodgy phone footage of Puffiing Billy 7A powering out of Gembrook today. It was very overcast and the light was terrible. I've used Youtube's autofix which has improved it a bit.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...