Β 

Switching operations in time-lapse video

Really enjoyed it, thanks. Just one small niggle: his headlight is still going on and off when he moves forward and then reverses, which isn't prototypical.Β  Just one small tweak of the CV's would make it even more "real".

Actually, being fairly new to DCC myself, the best I can find out is that this may vary by decoder, and a lot of web discussions of DCC don't cover this specific case -- i.e., how to program a decoder CV to leave the front headlight on all the time. If there's a way to do it, I haven't found it. If you know, especially for all decoders, I'd be very interested to know how!

Great video!

Would be nice to see the 'shuffle' then pause, solve the puzzle, then start the action again to see if you matched /beat the minimum number of moves performed by the operator.

Cheers, Steve.

Actually, being fairly new to DCC myself, the best I can find out is that this may vary by decoder, and a lot of web discussions of DCC don't cover this specific case -- i.e., how to program a decoder CV to leave the front headlight on all the time. If there's a way to do it, I haven't found it. If you know, especially for all decoders, I'd be very interested to know how!

It all depends on what decoder you have.Β  Each comes with a full set of instructions,Β which can also be found on the internet.Β Β You programme the decoderΒ to control the front and rear lights, and getting them to remain on, no matter what direction the loco travels.Β Β Using two different function buttons, you then have independent control of both lights. Some decoders can also be programmed to look like Mars lights, and/or be dim-able.Β Β 

Β 

Brian

Well, I knew all that -- as you say, it actually varies by decoder, if the decoder will do that at all. But what you said above is "Just one small tweak of the CV's would make it even more 'real"." So far, with NCE, TCS, Soundtraxx, and the Lenz decoders in Bachmann DCC locos, I simply haven't found the CV to tweak that will keep the headlight on in one direction. You spoke as though you know what it is -- general wisdom ain't helping here! And give the guy who made the video at least the credit for maybe having tried himself!

This has worked for me to give F0 for front light and F1 for rear, non-directional:

Β 

Digitrax; CV33=1 CV34=1 CV35=2 CV36=0

Lenz (old); CV33=8 CV34=8 CV35=16

Lenz Plus; CV33=1 CV34=1 CV35=2 CV47=2

Soundtraxx new non-sound; CV34=1 CV35=2

Β 

All I need now is to be able to dim them without losing the ability to have them switched separately.

Β 

Cheers,

Β 

Peter.

Well, I knew all that -- as you say, it actually varies by decoder, if the decoder will do that at all. But what you said above is "Just one small tweak of the CV's would make it even more 'real"." So far, with NCE, TCS, Soundtraxx, and the Lenz decoders in Bachmann DCC locos, I simply haven't found the CV to tweak that will keep the headlight on in one direction. You spoke as though you know what it is -- general wisdom ain't helping here! And give the guy who made the video at least the credit for maybe having tried himself!

You asked if there was a way to do it. I told you there was, but you had to find out what specific decoder you have in your locomotive. You still don't seem to have done that. How can I tell you if I don't know the specific type of decoder either?Β Β  Even if you don't have the instructions, it's dead easy to find the relevant instructions on the net, and you will then learn how to perform the specific task of setting your light functions.Β  To use your own words, "general wisdomΒ ain't helping here!".Β  It's the equivalent of you asking how to fix a specific problem in a car, but not consistently telling us what kind ofΒ car it is.Β  Β "But it's a car...".

Β 

Finally, can I remind you that my first comment to you in respect of your videoΒ was that I "really enjoyed it, thanks".

Mooovin on...

Β 

JWB, don't know if you have a computer interface, if you do then it's well worth downloading JMRI decoderpro, it basically lets you ditch the CV mumbo-jumbo and uses simple tickboxes. Much, much simpler to get your head around.

Β 

If you don't have a computer interface then something like a Sprog is a relatively inexpensive way forward.

That was a Time Lapse video...??!! :declare: :O

Β 

I've seen layouts where the switching was like that in Real Time ... :rolleyes: :D :locomotive:

Β 

Not with me operating, I'd usually be found scratching my head, dropping the cards on the floor, then arranging the cars in the wrong order....

Β 

What kind of decoder is it? I've got it for NCE and TCS decoders.

Returning to the switching, wonder why he did the one trailing point move after he did the numerous facing point moves? This led to 3 runaround moves rather than one.

Β 

PS Without re-opening the CV debate, was he running dcc? The throttles looked like dc ones.

Returning to the switching, wonder why he did the one trailing point move after he did the numerous facing point moves? This led to 3 runaround moves rather than one.

Β 

PS Without re-opening the CV debate, was he running dcc? The throttles looked like dc ones.

Β 

It might be the same design as the one mentioned in this thread by the late Wolfgang Dudler:

Β 

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?95121-Build-your-own-handheld-throttle(non-DCC)

Archived