Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Thanks for that Brass0Four

Useful information that mate, but when I see Jaz do here trees I think that is just to good/hard to produce and like you say...

if there's no artist's eye for balance (an on-going issue throughout the build)

so thanks mate

Jamie

• Like 2

OOOhhhhhh    ...   NNNoooooooooooo     ............................    Jas, you are getting Sooooo confused   ....................

Surely the dots were on a Bikini      ..................................   unless   ..........................................    :O   ..............................................    Nooo!   ..............................   the Bikini was ..  Errr .....   dangling from the Buggy mirrors    ..........    :O  :O     ..............................................................................            .................................................               ...                ..        .

:secret:   ...  :yes:   ...  :swoon:     .......................    :whistle:

med_gallery_17883_2781_164009.jpgrmweb552cars1

1960 1970s car kept from childhood

I think the bicycle shopper owner who sold these cars probably loved me and my dad, I bought all the cars little boys wouldn't be seen dead with.4 pinks here for a start. My cars look more like a collection of jelly beans lol.

Shame they are not the right scale, and also rather battered, otherwise I could have modelled a little mirror and a bikini for Js memoir. ;P

Sorry I disappeared last night I got a bad head and went to bed to sleep it off. 

Edited by Jaz

Great pictures of the new new Peterborough station.

Not been there for ages, despite my "office" being in Midland Road, I spend more time in Didcot :(

There is a thread on here somewhere just about Peterborough that you may not have seen.

ess1uk

Do you know the name? I will continue popping them up here in case anyone is interested in the details. We can all continue chatting around them though, because at the moment we have nothing to refer to them with. It just seems a project worth doing because we visit it so often. Had we known they were going to do an update to the station we would have taken BEFORE pictures as well. but that was a missed opportunity. Rather envy you if you spent time with Castle at the Didcot railway site.

Modern Day Peterborough Station

I'll just say why I took each picture even when it is completely obvious.

These four are taken with me standing (yesterday)on present day platform 1 (before Xmas2013 this was platform 2) 

And looking at platform 2 (which of course before Xmas 2013 was platform3) Are we confused yet?????

We also have some picture from last year but I will try to be careful to ensure that there relationship is highlighted for clarification.

shelter, lights

med_gallery_17883_3106_295282.jpgrmweb540peterboro5

tpws 

med_gallery_17883_3106_791488.jpgrmweb541peterboro6

was 

med_gallery_17883_3106_147607.jpgrmwb541peterboro6

change in the platform edge, also the work barriers

med_gallery_17883_3106_323997.jpgrmweb545peterboro10

Edited by Jaz

OHLE

med_gallery_17883_3106_121414.jpgrmweb546peterborough11

bins

med_gallery_17883_3106_398567.jpgrmweb547peterboro12

wheelchair access ramp

med_gallery_17883_3106_289793.jpgrmweb548peterboro13

speakers for the announcements

med_gallery_17883_3106_483010.jpgrmweb549peterborough14

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

ticket dispenser

med_gallery_17883_3106_94521.jpgrmweb550peterboro15

signage and workman in orange with a blue helmet (a trainee wears blue)

med_gallery_17883_3106_379684.jpgrmweb551peterboro16

stairs and signage (courtesy of the 'elf and safety brigade and for people who sue)

med_gallery_17883_3106_380603.jpgrmweb523peterborough17

powder room, the temporary room is not the gents that is off to the left, as you can see construction is ongoing

med_gallery_17883_3106_91082.jpgrmweb523peterborough18

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

signage

med_gallery_17883_3106_226537.jpgrmweb524peterborough19

again

med_gallery_17883_3106_430762.jpgrmweb524peterborough20

.......what can i say this will all be miniaturised and used as details

med_gallery_17883_3106_422316.jpgrmweb525peterborough21

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Hi Jaz

Great platform spotting, interesting all bins are now like the one you have taken a picture of on here .... again due to H&S, we have to be able to see what's is in side them now just in case of bombs etc...

So I was told by a guy that was emptying them on Derby station middle of last year, if they run out of bags then there will be no bins on the station until the bags are in stock again... crazy.  Bachmann or Hornby bins they do... I guess are not up to H&S standards, so Jas you have to make a litter bin like the one in the photo, and how small they are and a clear bag would be quiet hard I guess, but not for you Jaz.

Jamie

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jaz

Great platform spotting, interesting all bins are now like the one you have taken a picture of on here .... again due to H&S, we have to be able to see what's is in side them now just in case of bombs etc...

So I was told by a guy that was emptying them on Derby station middle of last year, if they run out of bags then there will be no bins on the station until the bags are in stock again... crazy.  Bachmann or Hornby bins they do... I guess are not up to H&S standards, so Jas you have to make a litter bin like the one in the photo, and how small they are and a clear bag would be quiet hard I guess, but not for you Jaz.

Jamie

Jamie

Not so much H&S as a practical precaution.  After the bombing at Waterloo in 1996 there were no bins on railway stations for a while.  Plastic bins are better than no bins.

So how would you model them?  Clingfilm?  UmmThin plastic film?  I think plastic sandwich bags would be too thick.

Not so much H&S as a practical precaution.  After the bombing at Waterloo in 1996 there were no bins on railway stations for a while.  Plastic bins are better than no bins.

So how would you model them?  Clingfilm?  UmmThin plastic film?  I think plastic sandwich bags would be too thick.

I think cling film with some plastic that does not dry clear inside plus some items inside it, would do the trick

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

These won't be difficult to do, some 10 or 20 thou plastic card for rigidity, and cope and crop tho and then reduce to print

if you want to print several you could even upgrade to photographic e.g. kodak paper

med_gallery_17883_3106_50798.jpgrmweb526peterborough23

med_gallery_17883_3106_561773.jpgrmweb527peterborough24

med_gallery_17883_3106_370014.jpgrmweb528peterborough25

med_gallery_17883_3106_233052.jpgrmweb529peterborough26

or check out trackside signs who do all the hard work for you

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Hi Jaz / Kal

You should have been there at 7:00 this morning when I arrived with my container train from Hams Hall. We could have met up and had a coffee. Seriously Peterborough is one of my main routes so I will be following with interest if you do it in the contemporary scene. How about the GBRf shed. Every time I'm there I think to myself it would make a great model. Small but interesting.

Regards

Marcus.

• Like 1

DANGER Bull Ox Warning! ;-)

I rated most of the Peterborough photos "informative and useful" because the ARE. More than that, they are vital, vital for the future of railway-modelling and vital for recording social history. We all love AV because - when you get your conservative "railway modeller's" head round it - it's not just fun  it is, as has been mentioned elsewhere(?) anarchistic: J and K's whole outlook is at odds with *most other railway models on RMweb*; it's a journey through different themes and locations derived from TV, Film,  Conservation and Literature; so much so that people who come to it are sometimes confused into assessing its period, or dismissing it as a childlike (in a bad sense) "anything goes" piece of stuff.

The Peterborough model - assuming its build - takes the whole ensemble a stage further, uniting the Entertaining with the Contemporary. Despite  the apparent - sometimes OT - content, AV is, forgive me - a serious piece of work, one that unites social outlooks in a way that few, if any, other layouts come close to.

Back to Peterborough: Whilst there are many who model the contemporary scene, most are limited by space, to MPDs or more minimal layouts. Club layouts might be the exception, but how many model the contemporary as in NOW? I'm sure there are some but that's not my point. It is the essential unity between fact and fiction, brought together with DCC control, to really Control - not just make noises and lights. I can foresee a time when Jaz or Kal press the Action Button and the whole thing - the contemporary and the conservation/fictional - comes to hands-off life (Faller Roads?, Fairgrounds? Movie Sets - hell, model helicopters are become small enough for even them to be controllable) - anything is possible given their broad outlook. But from the purist RMweb viewpoint it will be Peterborough that sells the whole deal to those who were formerly unconvinced.

There is nothing wrong with the nostalgic or Museum outlook of most railway modellers, except that - and this IS serious! - many are modelling Models! I'm guilty of it. No less a modeller than Pete Waterman has warned against it. Such as myself pick scenes and scenarios from others and incorporate them into our nostalgic view whilst being careless of fact, and this - in a way - is far more damaging to the hobby/obsession than the anarchistic viewpoint that challenges it all. People, particularly youngsters, who attend exhibitions, might be so impressed by the technical/scenic quality that they Take it as Fact, promulgating far more deadly (because it's insidious) images of the past to take forward into the future, spreading myth in its less wholesome aspect. 

AV is honest. And, IM not so HO, it provides an exciting outlook that newcomers who are dissuaded by the often dryer, pathologically On topic approach of others, are not enthralled by... 

© Anthony Syron-King 01.02.14 :jester:

- DUCK!

PS: I knocked this out when her Ladyship was on her throne. God knows I needed something to entertain myself while I awaited the likely outcome. Now I'll press the Post button.

Terraforming Goathland / Heartbeat

I will be sure to  make you all dizzy, but at the moment I am back to present day Arboretum Valley. Joining Goathland to Heartbeat

This has just been painted and will be left to dry, on the near left I am expecting to add a small rise, as I plan to try and fit in the police station with the small side building as per the programme

real locaton=Askwith, along side the River Wharf near Ikley West Yorkshire

250px-Aidensfield_Police_House.jpgheartbeatwikia.com             hb_locpolicehouse.jpgsykessillysite.co.uk

Which has a wealth of Heartbeat info

I could go for the flat look although this would be nice, I am investigating at the moment just what I can fit in

med_gallery_17883_3001_199212.jpgrmweb532terraforming265

this lines up behind the Goathland Road station that runs round to the bridge, beyond this is Heartbeat tribute with the cameos

med_gallery_17883_3001_518208.jpgrmweb533terraforming266

as you can see there will be some joining issues, but this can easily be dealt with

med_gallery_17883_3001_294240.jpgrmweb534terraforming267

Edited by Jaz

Hi Jaz / Kal

You should have been there at 7:00 this morning when I arrived with my container train from Hams Hall. We could have met up and had a coffee. Seriously Peterborough is one of my main routes so I will be following with interest if you do it in the contemporary scene. How about the GBRf shed. Every time I'm there I think to myself it would make a great model. Small but interesting.

Regards

Marcus.

small? SMALL? It's massive!!!! Oh go on then it's mall by real live stations, but big by model railways.

edit = see later posts I clearly misread this apologies

Edited by Jaz

DANGER Bull Ox Warning! ;-)

I rated most of the Peterborough photos "informative and useful" because the ARE. More than that, they are vital, vital for the future of railway-modelling and vital for recording social history. We all love AV because - when you get your conservative "railway modeller's" head round it - it's not just fun  it is, as has been mentioned elsewhere(?) anarchistic: J and K's whole outlook is at odds with *most other railway models on RMweb*; it's a journey through different themes and locations derived from TV, Film,  Conservation and Literature; so much so that people who come to it are sometimes confused into assessing its period, or dismissing it as a childlike (in a bad sense) "anything goes" piece of stuff.

The Peterborough model - assuming its build - takes the whole ensemble a stage further, uniting the Entertaining with the Contemporary. Despite  the apparent - sometimes OT - content, AV is, forgive me - a serious piece of work, one that unites social outlooks in a way that few, if any, other layouts come close to.

Back to Peterborough: Whilst there are many who model the contemporary scene, most are limited by space, to MPDs or more minimal layouts. Club layouts might be the exception, but how many model the contemporary as in NOW? I'm sure there are some but that's not my point. It is the essential unity between fact and fiction, brought together with DCC control, to really Control - not just make noises and lights. I can foresee a time when Jaz or Kal press the Action Button and the whole thing - the contemporary and the conservation/fictional - comes to hands-off life (Faller Roads?, Fairgrounds? Movie Sets - hell, model helicopters are become small enough for even them to be controllable) - anything is possible given their broad outlook. But from the purist RMweb viewpoint it will be Peterborough that sells the whole deal to those who were formerly unconvinced.

There is nothing wrong with the nostalgic or Museum outlook of most railway modellers, except that - and this IS serious! - many are modelling Models! I'm guilty of it. No less a modeller than Pete Waterman has warned against it. Such as myself pick scenes and scenarios from others and incorporate them into our nostalgic view whilst being careless of fact, and this - in a way - is far more damaging to the hobby/obsession than the anarchistic viewpoint that challenges it all. People, particularly youngsters, who attend exhibitions, might be so impressed by the technical/scenic quality that they Take it as Fact, promulgating far more deadly (because it's insidious) images of the past to take forward into the future, spreading myth in its less wholesome aspect. 

AV is honest. And, IM not so HO, it provides an exciting outlook that newcomers who are dissuaded by the often dryer, pathologically On topic approach of others, are not enthralled by... 

© Anthony Syron-King 01.02.14 :jester:

- DUCK!

PS: I knocked this out when her Ladyship was on her throne. God knows I needed something to entertain myself while I awaited the likely outcome. Now I'll press the Post button.

Actually, if I had read this in a magazine, I would be most impressed.

I think maybe you are a little too kind, but I think you have summed up very well the way we see the layout. While I cannot comment on it is place in the world of modelling, we are not ones to judge as we have a conflict of interests in that we do it this way simply because we think this way and could not see it any other.

We enjoy it and if any small piece gives others pleasure, then that is a bonus. Sooner or later I think will cover every bodies taste in one for or another, even if it is just for them to say, well that is not very authentic or well done is it.

As my Nan, used to tell me, be loved or be hated as people see fit, but never let them overlook you. ;)

I maybe biased but that is the quality of editorial that, would have me buying a magazine.

Quality.

No no, just our shed is small at Peterborough not the station. Lol.

HI

The single shed modelled by Bachamnn is EWS? Is the GBRF one, the one over the far side?  I have about 40 foot or so to play with so , I would like to get in the Girder bridge over the river, but I may have to foreshorten that to fit it in, and then from the Girder road bridge, I want to stretch as far back as that space will allow.

So one side of the old loft will be completely Peterborough and as much as I can fit in.

The other side of the loft will be my home town but maybe a tribute as i want to fit in the trams. As Central station is no longer there, South shore is a shadow of itself, the pleasure beach is very small and Squires gate is at the very end of the trams, it may owe something to my imagination.

I was going to do a Dawlish layout, and try and squeeze the others in too, but I feel now two big monoliths maybe better.  Still in flux, but that is where I am at the moment.

The intention is to have fiddle yards below so we may scene them too.

PS, if we knew your were going to be in Peterborough, and I was not working, we would love to meet up for a TEA.... I hate coffee yuck!

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

Brasso0four

Kal and I are discussing your post 2865. We agree in a nut shell you get AV.

1. Although as far as Goathland goes it is modelled from Google and as such is very much present day.
  2. Even the small touch of Harry Potter theme has the characters in their muggle clothes (i.e. no magic no half giants (although I did a small skit with the dementor, he is now firmly based in Hogsmeade for filming) so they also looks in place.
  3. The Heartbeat aspect of Goathland incorporates some of the buildings as they really are (we have ignored film set versions for here) although not laid down in any real geographical order. Others are representations of them and would be okay for Heartbeat 1960s or present day. As we move on we will try to incorporate more of the 'real' Goathlnad buildings, 
  4. The same applies to hogsmeade , it is just a simple old fashioned village without the Harry Potter characters.
  5. Even the Hogwarts is a Hornby St James church, admittedly it is set up on ground but this is not unusual for Abbeys etc.

But the point is, essential you get it, nothing is taboo. 

We are modelling a modern day layout, then adding a film crew they rent and hire present day buildings to make their films, and it is their bought in vehicles and people and additions that make it look like the film set.

As Kal explained recently the main tracks are modern, the side track leading into Goathland and Sheffield Park are heritage. You can go down to Todays Peterborough station and do a spot of Train Spotting and you will be amazed at what goes past. Unfortunately for you guys we are not train spotters we are train modellers.

And should anyone see any discrepancies, please feel free to shout out loudly!!!!

As an example, Kestrel does not exist anymore, however considering the amount some films spend on blockbusters...who would say they would not recreate one if it was required for the plot of a film. That's the way we look at things. 

• Like 2

HI

The single shed modelled by Bachamnn is EWS? Is the GBRF one, the one over the far side?  I have about 40 foot or so to play with so , I would like to get in the Girder bridge over the river, but I may have to foreshorten that to fit it in, and then from the Girder road bridge, I want to stretch as far back as that space will allow.

So one side of the old loft will be completely Peterborough and as much as I can fit in.

The other side of the loft will be my home town but maybe a tribute as i want to fit in the trams. As Central station is no longer there, South shore is a shadow of itself, the pleasure beach is very small and Squires gate is at the very end of the trams, it may owe something to my imagination.

I was going to do a Dawlish layout, and try and squeeze the others in too, but I feel now two big monoliths maybe better.  Still in flux, but that is where I am at the moment.

The intention is to have fiddle yards below so we may scene them too.

PS, if we knew your were going to be in Peterborough, and I was not working, we would love to meet up for a TEA.... I hate coffee yuck!

Sounds good to me I'll let you know next time I'm over that way. Normally it's a Saturday. Work over then pass back to Brum.