Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Jaz,

Those trees really are stunning.......don't think I'd have the patience to do them

They'll really look the part once in situ and when done with leaves (unless portrayed in Winter...)

Great Modelling. ;)

Jack.

Ok I may have this problem resolved.

The dog is the smaller dobermann the chocolate instead of the black. The post was to be a joke. Because she ate one of my trees, and I mentioned it earlier on our thread. I was going to say...when I leave the room I put the tree on high ground in case she gets hungry!!!!!

Ok expect trees.

Herja means devastate

Kara means wild stormy one

Just in case anyone wishes to meet them when we are not at home ;)

I am sure everyone knows what a Valkyrie is, but for those that do not, they were mythological creatures that decided who would live and who would visit Valhalla.

Edited by Kal

success

The Beech tree is usually seen as grey, and this will be the predominant colour on this exercise

Now we could do green grass, BUT I plan to add moss so green on green won't look good

And thankfully Beech Trees normally have a lot of leaf litter, so the ground is first coloured brown

med_gallery_17883_3001_124920.jpgrmweb402trees58

and a few shadows added

med_gallery_17883_3001_289636.jpgrmweb403trees59

• Like 6

I start to add some colour to the painted brown area of the base

small chopped cork

some woodland scenics blended turf, earth blend, green blend, burnt grass,

some brown scatter and black scatter, ensuring there is some in the grooves etc

med_gallery_17883_3001_180295.jpgrmweb406trees62

med_gallery_17883_3001_416724.jpgrmweb407trees63

• Like 2

Time to 'cover' the dark shadows so the black gives depth rather than screams at you

the side with no moss

med_gallery_17883_3001_577185.jpgrmweb408trees64

A side with moss

med_gallery_17883_3001_140955.jpgrmweb409trees65

side on

med_gallery_17883_3001_526499.jpgrmweb410trees66

slowly building up the colour with the darker in the grooves,and some fine turf on the green painted moss

• Like 1

blooming heck Jaz

That looks the dogs bl***ks mate, a total change from the first few photos lol  you have pulled that out of the bag big time....

where will you be placing that on your layout then....

You want to bag that and sell them along with your water features.

Jamie

FYI I got a bit carried away with the size, and once I raised it on a plinth it grew to a whopping 40cm which as we all know 4mm to the foot = 100ft!!!

Without the root lift it was merely 30cm or 75ft, of which there are plenty of examples. 

There are specimens this big, the biggest appears to be 151ft, but those big specimens are few and far between. So when I said I fancied a Great tree I was not far wrong.

Some tweaking of the colours. Once i have the canopy in place it will get photographed upstairs in much better light.

but thou can see the black now makes great crevices.

med_gallery_17883_3001_626334.jpgrmweb411trees67

A different angle

med_gallery_17883_3001_179497.jpgrmweb412trees68

The green painted moss had had some green foam turf added

med_gallery_17883_3001_461733.jpgrmweb413trees69

the side with no moss, I have some leave t drop ere too when I can locate the little devils - I can only find the green and they are no right for here.

med_gallery_17883_3001_105545.jpgrmweb414trees70

Beeches tend to have lovely pale green leaves n early spring changing to a deep green, before changing to a dried out brown which stays on the tree until strong winds remove them, over a less windy winter the leaves can hold for ages. I am about to go see which campy colour is going to get chosen for this tree.

• Like 1

Jaz

That tree is amazing. Stunning work. :fan:  :fan: :fan:  :fan:  

Just for information (just in case anyone doesn't know). If you're worried about the orientation of trees to the layout, moss is predominantly on the northern side.

Duncan

Well I have just got all the branches in the canopy sorted, and still have some flex bark to add more.

So tomorrow, I need to do the leaves, I plan to add a nest, also some mushrooms, some dead leaves on the floor, some ivy perhaps on a post but maybe on the tree, and perhaps a couple of seedlings.

But for now...time for bed said Zeberdee.

• Like 1

A reference for my tree, I suspect they must be the remains of a forest, and the roots are perhaps caused by erosion

DSC00001.jpgdartmorrcam.co.uk

I came across this and thought, oh this will be of interest  :jester:

Orange-colored galls, such as these pictured in 2010, from the beech tree forests of Patagonia have been found to harbor the yeast that makes lager beer possible. Five hundred years ago, in the age of sail and when the trans-Atlantic trade was just beginning, the yeast somehow made its way from Patagonia to the caves and monastery cellars of Bavaria where the first lager beers were fermented. University of Wisconsin–Madison Genetics Professor Chris Todd Hittinger and colleagues from Portugal, Argentina and the University of Colorado describe the lager yeast, whose origin was previously unknown. Photo by: Diego Libkind, Institute for Biodiversity and Environment Research, Bariloche, Argentina (from Medievalists.net)

galls_beech_tree10_4538.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2