Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Thank you very much  :sungum: I have never had an audience with baited breath before  :jester:

just look at the bark on that tree, lovely or what? I love the flex-bark

med_gallery_17883_3001_66411.jpgrmweb381trees37

and just to start you off the deep dark black in the crevices

med_gallery_17883_3001_323510.jpgrmweb382trees

this is unfortunately the last photo but one tonight.

I'll quickly go do one of the whole thing so you can see how far I got.

• Like 5

Blimey Jaz, you certainly don't hang around weighing up your work through half shut eyes. That Das plasticene clay is real slam wham blam stuff.

.......still don't see how you are going to get those trees' feet to actually walk about.....realistically (thats it, I nearly forgot:the magic word for railway modelling)

:tomato:

dhig/Rar

• Like 1

Blimey Jaz, you certainly don't hang around weighing up your work through half shut eyes. That Das plasticene clay is real slam wham blam stuff.

.......still don't see how you are going to get those trees' feet to actually walk about.....realistically (thats it, I nearly forgot:the magic word for railway modelling)

:tomato:

dhig/Rar

Yes nothings seems to stop Jaz once she's on a roll.

Jamie

• Like 1

mmmmm bacon......last pictures and off to be....oooh they are on another tab...one sec.......I do more juggling than a clown. One tab for the posts, some times more than one if queuing them, one tab for the uploads, one tab to watch everyone else, and if possible get a word in edgeways if i have the time, a tab for research, oh basically i have a lot of tabs open LMAO

a view of how far along I am.

med_gallery_17883_3001_618015.jpgrmweb383trees39

lets hope making the joins tomorrow won't prove too difficult....I suppose I should do the wet tissue and cling film to protect it.

med_gallery_17883_3001_302552.jpgrmweb384trees40

as a matter of interest the size of the copper wire I am using for the small branches

med_gallery_17883_3001_553397.jpgrmweb385trees41

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

After reading all this lot, I need a bacon roll................

Cheers,

Mick

That sounds good Mick

Big 'M's' isn't doing them yet, and although I have bacon in the fridge, I only have bread, as my rolls is in the garage mate.  ha-ha

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Now roots are often visible because of erosion, so I set my tree on a little bump, knoll, whatever

med_gallery_17883_3001_466645.jpgrmweb371trees27

Then I need to anchor the tree in to the PIR, some of the original wire roots are pushed directly into the PIR,

others are 'pinned' wit spare copper, as below on the left you can see i am starting to work the DAS, the roots are round underneath, it all depends on whether they are exposed enough for this to be noticeable.

med_gallery_17883_3001_358932.jpgrmweb372trees28

That's a waste of a nice wedge of mozzarella :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I made the jumbo shell dish with British sausage meat, onion, spinach, parmesan   stuffing. tomato-basil sauce and gorgonzola sauce over the top. Took 3½ hours to make and was gone in under10 minutes!

• Like 2

I'll be cat-napping - up all night as usual. 'Upsides a teensy weensy bit of modelling might get done, although her Ladyships digestive system is like early warning modelling radar. :(

Why can't I get the smilies!!!

JESTER EMOTICON

Sheesh!

Tony.

nite nite Jaz.

Edited by Brass0four

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jaz,

I'm afraid I missed being part of the live audience last night, as I was busy, but thank you very much for posting all those wondeful photos, it really shows how you go about getting believable looking trees.

Looking forward to more, when you wake up! :)

Well you'll be glad to know I have been beavering away this morning......

so......

med_gallery_17883_3001_187247.jpgrmweb386trees42

I have been added more baby branches

When I decided that the canopy was a bit thin, so I cut some more green covered wire and started filling in, I can't go back down to the floor and bring the trunk up which is my preference, because as we all know I modelled it, I could attempt a second main trunk but there is still plenty of room to add branches.

I do have to be careful not to make the canopy top heavy, and you must always ensure the branches get thinner as you go up...

I check the area where I want to add a branch and measure a length and some spare and push one end into the exposed wires, give it a twist round the trunk, then do a second one, in the middle to the right there is two straight wires sorry for the poor photos light is terrible today

med_gallery_17883_3001_4234.jpgrmweb388trees44

oops forget a picture here, I then twisted the pair and shaped them.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

Also at this time I had to address the fact that this small wire can only go so far up the branches, and then need to appear to get thicker, I have two thickness of offcuts of wire, and the thicker ones are used to make small branch off shoots, then I do the same herringbone fish with the finer copper

med_gallery_17883_3001_140615.jpgrmweb389trees44

the result if you can focus on it is in the bottom left corner, these branchlets are not held on by much, so a guck fix with the flex-bark is needed, and so I coloured the whole lot

This picture is to give you an idea of the size of copper I am working with

med_gallery_17883_3001_102907.jpgrmweb390trees46

The thin stuff is the end branches, the thicker stuff is attached to the green wire, and the thinner stuff added to it, everything fixed in palace asap.

FYI. The stainless steel tray is constantly revolving as I view the overall canopy. Working on a tree in a static pose can lead to a very lopsided affair. Notthat trees can't become lopsided but it is better to avoid it when modelling as it makes it more likely to fall over.

• Like 4