How to wire this plan?

DanielB

Good evening!

Could any of the more experienced people here help me out at all with a wiring issue?

I want to get my first layout built but before I start I want to get the wiring plan sorted as - to be honest - I find the concept considerably intimidating!

I've never held a soldering iron in my life and have no idea how to wire something up, so any and all help would be appreciated. I've tried reading up on it all but it just boggles my mind!

I'm not really sure what information you need from me for things that need to be taken into consideration. Track will be Peco code 80 with settrack insulfrog points, which will be operated by hand.

Do you need to know anything else?

Here is the plan:

WagonworksandMPD_zps79165d36.png

1. Low relief loco shed

2. Fueling point

3+4. Upper level warehouses.

5. Overbridge - not decided on the specifics yet, road, rail etc. Hell, I could even make a canal aquaduct - there are a few dotted around the peak district if memory serves.

6. Wagon works (begins inside a bridge arch and extends into a 'modern' style shed.

7. Exit to fiddle yard (I want to build the fiddle yard on a separate board so I can use it on multiple layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Connect one wire to each rail in the vicinity of the back of the red arrow on your drawing.

Fit insulated rail joiners to both of the lower rails of the point under what looks like an overbridge in your drawing.

Connect one wire to each rail of the track at bottom left.

You don't necessarily need any section switches as this arrangement will allow you to isolate a loco in either (but not both simultaneously) of the two sidings at top left and in either (but not both simultaneously) of the two sidings at bottom right.

You could avoid soldering by using the Peco ST-9 clips and crimping the bared ends of the wires on to them.

You might like to try this:-

post-7495-0-90842500-1368869525.png

You just need the two feeds for DC. If you want to use Electrofrog instead (which I would recommend, especially when installation is straight forward) you just need to add insulated joiners in the two rails where I have marked in green.

I have made an assumption that you just have a single controller, the feeds will change if you have more than one.

Archived