Dapol Daves May trip to Ohio

Hi everyone,

For those that are interested I have uploaded to my Zenfolio site the Railroad pictures of my trip last week to Fostoria and Bellevue in Ohio.

Primarily used as a road trip / photo journey it includes all I took (the good and the bad) and I have not photo edited any of them (a very few are slightly over exposed), so there is the rough and the very smooth there.

They may be handy for those looking at depots as I shot Bellevue depot from a nice vantage point, or even just to get a modellers feel for what's running out there these days.

Anyway enjoy

http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/p389247998

My other US pictures going back to 2001 are in separate folders within the US trains section too.

cheers

Dave

Some very nice shots there, Dave!

Great locations - which I haven't managed to get to..... I was within 50 miles of "Horseshoe Curve" in southwestern PA a couple of weeks ago but just couldn't find the time to get to it. Very frustrating.

Most American railroads place the locomotive type on the side of the cab - which is convenient but if there are any particular photos that you would like some info on place them here individually, there's always someone that knows something.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Some nice shots!  I am no expert on US railroads but they have some very attractive liveries, and some purposeful looking locomotives!  Particularly like the image of the BNSF locomotive coming round the bend - and the CSX locomotives in what looks like BR Blue with yellow ends!  Is that a current or old livery?

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Looks like you had a good time in Ohio along with good weather.

Some superb shots there taken at Fostoria. Good to see the CSX gray blue yellow scheme still about in reasonable numbers - much prefer it to the YN3 blue and yellow scheme.

When I was at Fostoria there wasnt much running but the Amtrak station was still open.

Got as far as your first 100 shots but will look at the rest at home.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Some nice shots!  I am no expert on US railroads but they have some very attractive liveries, and some purposeful looking locomotives!  Particularly like the image of the BNSF locomotive coming round the bend - and the CSX locomotives in what looks like BR Blue with yellow ends!  Is that a current or old livery?

cheers

Ben A.

Ben

CSX was formed with the merger of a number of roads and for a while they were in numerous liveries until they picked the all over 'stealth gray' livery. but with blue underframe trucks and roof.

This was then adapted to incorporate various bits of blue banding before adding yellow ends before going back to all over 'Stealth gray' for a short while.

Then came the blue gray yellow livery that are in a number of Daves photos.

The all blue with yellow ends is the current livery. (YN3)

My HO Florida stock is set in the mid 1990's so this allowed for doing some of the pre CSX liveries, the stealth Gray and the blue gray yellow , so plenty of variety.

Ian

Edited for a couple of corrections.

Hi chaps,

Thanks for the comments.

Fostoria was very busy, I think I was seeing about 70 trains in about 12 hours 9am - 9pm with up to 6 loco's per train.

I must admit the action rarely stopped for more than 45 minutes before all heck let loose again :-)

They are now well into building the fan park in the middle of the triangle so that should be nice as its due to finish at the end of the year.

I feel the trick with Fostoria is to move about, getting different angles and the sun behind you is very important as I found out with some of the bleached shots.

Bellevue was equally good as can be seen by the different motive power and colours on parade.

I'll be back, that's for sure :-)

Cheers

Dave

I was in Cleveland on the last day and was contemplating going to one of the M.v F. restaurants but after reading 'so so' reviews decided to go to Berea instead.

if I didn't I wouldn't have gotten the 'Penn Central' Heritage unit or the assorted fallen flag /branch line box cars.

Besides Berea was quite busy too :jester:

The latest CSX livery is "YN3" - I've seen a nice variation with gold lining around the CSX lettering. The grey livery with some blue is YN2 - rapidly disappearing. There used to be a website that contained all their liveries from day one but I can't find it right now! You'll see some people referring to "Dark Future" and "Bright Future" too. 

If anyone can provide a link to the site which explains everything I'd be grateful - off to the Docs....

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

I noticed a slight variant, with a small slogan (can remember what) but 2 wheels under the start and end of the CSX logo.

is this the 'YN3'?

cheers

Dave

Dave;

I like photo 365 http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/p389247998/h5f0e1244#h5f10615c

The unit has obviously had a fire at some point and they have replaced a door with one from the next spot over (so it is mounted upside down) - presumably from a different unit. That should be interesting to try to replicate on a model.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I think there's 2 units with fire damage as I remember seeing one on the last day at Berea.

Probably not that uncommon.

Cheers

Dave

This one? http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/p389247998/h5eda0dfa#h5eda0dfa

I guess GE turbochargers occasionally cook off.

It was more the mounting of the bright, shiny new door on the first one.

Adrian

Hi Dapol Dave, I didn't know you were a fan of US Railroads too... :)

No chance of Dapol breaking into the US O/1:48 Scale market, with the same price-busting philosophy of the UK range, then..??

A nice GP38-2 or GP40 in CSX Dark Future would go down very nicely.... :D

Ah, well... one can dream..... :rolleyes:

Oh yes, I love US railroads.

I'm not sure many of you have looked at the other USA folders on my site (yes there's more)

http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/f801690321

But there's a 2003 trip to Ohio (lots of leasing and CSX power there including some of the older colours), Tehachapi, Bakersfield and Mohave

The 2002 trip takes in Florida and a rather quiet Plant City plus Ohio again.

2005 does Dallas (no jokes please) and Fort Worth, including the Railroad Museum in Dallas with the Big Boy

2001 is Indiana and Illinois with Danville Junction and a couple of Wisconsin Central units and some tunnel motors in SP.

Then there's the big 2008 Jaunt taking in Barstow, Tuscon, Tombestone, Tehachapi, Bakersfield, L.A., and a museum in Arizona, Nevada (near Vegas), and the 2 main ones in L.A. including the Big Boy there too.

All in all I love the country but some of the train places are extreme.

My favourite places are, in no real order but each is busy,

Winton Place in Cincinnati in Ohio

Bealville just down from Tehachapi, CA

Fostoria, Ohio

Bellevue, Ohio

Berea, Ohio

I hope to get to Blue Island in a couple of years time as apparently that's intense too :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I do like Bealville, Ca aswell. Spent many hours there including well inot darkness taking still and video there, Also Spent a fair bit of time lower down at Caliente.

One of our current favourite locations is Stevensen , Washington on the Columbia River. Vey busy location with a brewery across the street and  ensuite log cabins between the river and the railraod, so accommodation trains and beer all at the same time!!

I am hoping that this summer, we have a room that looks out both onto the BNSF at Stevensen and also across the river to the UP line.

Ian

One of our current favourite locations is Stevensen , Washington on the Columbia River. Vey busy location with a brewery across the street and  ensuite log cabins between the river and the railraod, so accommodation trains and beer all at the same time!!

I am hoping that this summer, we have a room that looks out both onto the BNSF at Stevensen and also across the river to the UP line.

Ian

Ian,

Sounds very cool! Does the lodging have a website?

Fishing rights too would really make it ideal for me........

Best, Pete.

Archived