Which class 43s had guards' compartments?

sub39h

I think the window layout of the TRSB matches the Hornby RFM on the corridor side but differs on the kitchen side in that the narrow high level windows are nearer the coach end on the TRSB, there is an additional small half height window and the short full depth one is slightly nearer the passenger area.

Compare:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5457584681/

with:

http://www.ehattons.com/32201/Hornby_R4399_Mk3_Wrexham_Shropshire_Cargo_D_Coach_Pack_with_3x_Mk3_coaches_in_BR_Blue_with_W/StockDetail.aspx

and an actual RFM:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5476998399/in/set-72157625197320866/

Edited by giz

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi  Just had a quick look through Andrew Cole "Class 43 Locomotives" book and the answer seems no with many plated over shown in Merlin and later liveries but I guess more time might throw up an example

Robert   

Thanks for checking

I will have to dig out my archive hard drive and have a look through there to double check if a back up survived, I'm sure that I have seen one of the early Merlin repaints with a window but cant remember if I also found one in Intercity within the GWT fleet.

Time to crack open the 1997/8 Platform Fives and trawl through Flickr / Smugmug  

Edit: I have managed to answer my own question.  43006 was in Intercity in 1997/98 and working for GWT as per this photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16220293@N07/15030673846/

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not Great Western Trains, I know, & not the period in question, but here's 43046 departing Bedford in Aug 2003, still with guards window & driving desk window in position. I presume the driving controls had long since been removed.

36643751821_bc5cca7962_z.jpg43046_Bedford_Aug_2004_02 by Mr Ratty, on Flickr

Edited by rodent279

Not Great Western Trains, I know, & not the period in question, but here's 43046 departing Bedford in Aug 2003, still with guards window & driving desk window in position. I presume the driving controls had long since been removed.

I thought the prototypes were the only ones that actually had a driving position at the blunt end

• RMweb Gold

I thought the prototypes were the only ones that actually had a driving position at the blunt end

on the production hst the window is not for a driving end, it’s the guards compartment (later moved to the TGS coach due to the noise and vibration) Edited by The Fatadder

Does anyone know what the actual noise and vibration levels were in the guard's compartment, especially in comparison with the levels in the driver's cab?  It always seemed a bit odd that at least 8 seats and the revenue were lost.

Not necessarily - the sets were also being expanded in length around the time the TGSs were introduced so was additional seating rather than a reduction.

It seems that Midland power cars kept them longer than others.

Here is 43052 at Bedford in August 1997

post-4474-0-78983100-1513850817_thumb.jpg

Edited, to add this Virgin example from 15th April 2003 - 43064 at Nuneaton

post-4474-0-26931500-1513850752_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what the actual noise and vibration levels were in the guard's compartment, especially in comparison with the levels in the driver's cab?  It always seemed a bit odd that at least 8 seats and the revenue were lost.

Peterfgf

Absolutely bloody awful ,not only very noisy but I remember them being full of fumes and rode quite rough as you were on the overhang.

Sometimes used to co in them if train was full when travelling passenger