Β 

Trent Valley Show 15th June 2013

Guess I'm with you there Dan.

For me,one of the main reasons for modelling the US and Canada railroads was the great variety - both of rolling stock and scenery.

Dave

Sadly I won't be able to make the show....

Β 

but I don't mind

Β 

Happily it's because I will be visiting Phoenix, the UP Sunset Route and the BNSF Transcon....

Β 

Is that all....? I'll be visiting a paper mill in Vermont, a switching area in Wisconsin, Shasta, a riverside wharf, rural Kansas.... and many more...!

Β 

but I don't mind

Β 

Happily it's because I will be visiting Phoenix, the UP Sunset Route and the BNSF Transcon....

Mmmmm.......Transcon......La Pasada, Winslow........

Β 

Dan

• RMweb Gold

Β 

but I don't mind

Β 

I guess you like the heat.

Β 

It's been 110 degrees F in Phoenix the last few days!

You must go the route via Sedona (just off the main drag, Phoenix to Flagstaff) at least once - amazing scenery! Good Thai restaurant in downtown Flagstaff - Β can't remember the name though!

It will only be in the eighties around the Flagstaff area (where the Transcon passes) as it is 7,000ft high.......

Β 

Best, Pete.

Transcon planned trip:

Β 

Phoenix

Kingman Canyon (breakfast)

Peach Springs

Nelson Tunnel

Yampai

Seligman (lunch)

Williams

Maine

Flagstaff (dinner)

Cosnino

Winona

Phoenix

Β 

might split the trip over two days and stay in Flag or Williams... Β temps from around 100+ at Kingman to 80+ at Flag. Β Hoping for some decent skies, not just plain old blue...

Β 

the Sunset is nearer to basecamp, so just quick hit n run trips to Shawmut, Picacho, Tucson etc

I remember finding Holbrook AZ (hard to miss really), we were driving down Main looking for somewhere to have lunch and there was absolutely no one on the street.

My Wife said: "We're not stopping here; it's like a lost "Twilight Zone" episode...." Β - which is exactly why I wanted to stop there, I was so disappointed...

Β 

Best, Pete.

Transcon planned trip:

Β 

Phoenix

Kingman Canyon (breakfast)

Peach Springs

Nelson Tunnel

Yampai

Seligman (lunch)

Williams

Maine

Flagstaff (dinner)

Cosnino

Winona

Phoenix

Β 

might split the trip over two days and stay in Flag or Williams... Β temps from around 100+ at Kingman to 80+ at Flag. Β Hoping for some decent skies, not just plain old blue...

Β 

the Sunset is nearer to basecamp, so just quick hit n run trips to Shawmut, Picacho, Tucson etc

Β 

That list looks like 1/2 of the towns named in "Route 66"...

That list looks like 1/2 of the towns named in "Route 66"...

Β 

route 66 is the thread that links them all together, quite something to drive so far with almost no other traffic - just trains for company

Β 

Pete, you should have stopped for dinner and tried to see the Apache Railway Alcos... been on my to-do list for a while.

Β 

I ought to try and skype into TVNAM - like a 'our roving reporter, live from the BNSF Transcon...'

Β 

:D

Archived