US Narrow Gauge - Prototype or Fictional setting

Mike - yes I knew it was based on #22 but the question I have been unable to answer is was there #9687 in OR&W service, and if so was it a Baldwin or the very similar Alco?

I'm responding in another thread about modelling railways which you are not familiar with (having grown up in another country to the one being modelled) so how are your British models received by your US modelling buddies?

After a little digging, it appears that #9687 wasn't an OR&W engine, it was a Waynesburg & Washington engine.  Couldn't find an image of that number, but here's a sister...

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/prr9684s.jpg

IMHO, the similarities are greater than the differences between the Bachmann engine and that one.  With a new cab and new tender, it would be close enough for me.

The only picture of an OR&W engine I can find is of a ten wheeler, #9660... 

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/prr9660s.jpg

seems that Bachmann got the paint scheme right!

It appears to me that the OR&W engines were numbered down in the 9660 range, and the W&W were in the 9680-9690 range.  But, I can't find much out there via google.  I'll try to remember to see if Hilton has any references as to the numbering once the PRR took over.

As for the question about the British models, it varies.  A few people make comments, but not many.  A few guys in the club I'm affiliated with like seeing my progress on etched brass kits, because they recognize its a totally different skill set required building your average US prototype model.  (Although I got a lot of positive comments when I built my Parkside GWR "Mica", that struck them as much more interesting than your average 10 or 12 ton van)  When I showed them the etches for the GWR Fruit D from WEP I just acquired, they were very impressed by the kit, but also looked at me like I was crazy!

I also do N scale, and there were 3 other guys in the club who also did British prototype.  They would be interested when I acquired something new, but most people either didn't notice or didn't seem to care.

There's a modular layout group which models continental Europe in HO (i.e. - Marklin) and when I've looked at their layout, the people around it seem to either be members or parent with their children watching the trains.  When I've mentioned that I do British prototype, they push me to join, but I'm in too many clubs, I don't do HO/OO scale, and AKAIK British HO/OO uses 2 rail, not marklin's stud pickup.

• 2 weeks later...

prr9684s.jpg

Interesting - this loco is fitted with Eames vacuum brake.

Mark,

A good deal of Eastern US NG roads used vacuum brakes at one time or another. Indeed, Eames' (today New York Air Brake) factory was at Watertown, N.Y., AFAIK. The use of vacuum brakes is one of the things that sets Eastern US NG apart from the Colorado bunch and which makes it much more interesting to model. I really get P'Oed when I complain with folks that I can't get HOn3 power adequate for an eastern line and am told to "repaint a Blackstone", they just don't understand that it is not the same thing!

Cheers NB

Also the centre driver is flangeless - the Bachmann mogal, although of a different prototype, has a flanged centre driver but considerable side-play.

The Bachmann model is based on the Colarado and Southern No. 22 - quote from http://www.southernsteamtrains.com/ac&smogul.htm

In the early 1880's the UP purchased sixteen identical 2-6-0's from the Brooks Locomotive Works of Dunkirk, NY, for use on these narrow gauge lines.   The locomotives were fitted with Stephenson valve gear driving slide-valves and were coal-fired.  In 1898, the UP returned the Denver, South Park & Pacific to independent status and, after some reshuffling, it emerged in 1902 as the Colorado and Southern.  By then, all but two of the Brooks Moguls had been scrapped; South Park No. 35 was rebuilt into Colorado & Southern No. 22.  Eventually, this locomotive was withdrawn from service in 1927 and scrapped. 

Archived