"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

My dear old Dad used to say that he went to a red brick university...the brick works at Bo'ness!  I did go to a public school for a year and a half, whereupon I was thrown out...and my folks moved from the bonny banks to the grimy North of England...I started at Hyde Grammar which was a shock, but it did have a model railway club, and a railway running past the sports field.

This school had an unhealthy obsession with all things sporting and cricket in particular, a sport I loathe. I know, it's not like me to sit on the fence, but... our sports field overlooked the old GC line to Godley and one day, whilst acting as a terminally bored outfielder, I heard behind me the bubbly squeal of a Stanier hooter. I turned and watched as the loco wheezed past and garnered a friendly wave from the driver. It was a funny sort of wave, it seemed quite frantic somehow. I became aware, too, of shouting coming in my direction, just before something very hard hit me in the middle of the back. I awoke a couple of minutes later to see the cherubic face of my Maths master and namesake, P.F. Robinson, who was stooping over me with a concerned look on his face. He was a railway buff, which at least made Maths lessons a bit more bearable. Anyway, he was trying to say something to me, so I concentrated through the wooziness. "Robinson, lad. Did you get the number...?"

Sorry for boring you with an old story.

cheers, Iain

• Like 1

Sorry to continue OT, but by sheer coincidence my Maths Master was also a railway buff and ran the Railway Society. He was very pleased when I appeared at School as my Western Region Civil Engineer father was then able to arrange all sorts of shed and site visits of the type that in the '50s would have been a case of just allowing the boys to wander round with a warning to be careful but which now would be completely banned on H&S grounds.

He never hit me with a cricket ball, though. Even the board rubbers tended to miss, but I think he aimed as a warning shot rather than to injure ;)

Edited by C&WR

Sorry for mentioning modelling on this thread,but if you haven't looked at Celticwardog's Shelvington layout thread yet, do so.The modelling's sublime.

That's us getting a rap across the knuckles from teacher!  Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I have just had a look and you are right, the modelmaking is of a very high order...as you say, sublime, in fact. Using such skills to portray the modern scene and the mundane as opposed to the picturesque results in a stunning effect. I am impressed and worried...I hope Celtic War Dog doesn't intend to take it up professionally!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

I went to boarding school and in my time there got two six of the bests compliments of an effin' dead language !

Cheers.

Allan

Similarly Allan, although I was a day boy. Reciting amo, amas, amat .................. I found singularly boring. However in these days when I attempt my genealogy I sometimes wish I had studied it properly, but then again, I wouldn't need it very much.

LE

• Like 2

That's us getting a rap across the knuckles from teacher!  Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I have just had a look and you are right, the modelmaking is of a very high order...as you say, sublime, in fact. Using such skills to portray the modern scene and the mundane as opposed to the picturesque results in a stunning effect. I am impressed and worried...I hope Celtic War Dog doesn't intend to take it up professionally!

cheers,

Iain

Hardly a rap across the knuckles coming from me, I'm probably the worst offender when it comes to going of topic.It's just I was so impressed I thought other people should be aware of the thread.It's certainly awe inspiring stuff.

My dear old Dad used to say that he went to a red brick university...the brick works at Bo'ness!  I did go to a public school for a year and a half, whereupon I was thrown out...and my folks moved from the bonny banks to the grimy North of England...I started at Hyde Grammar which was a shock, but it did have a model railway club, and a railway running past the sports field.

cheers, Iain

I did a year at a minor public school, (attended by a well known distributor of paper bags full of money(allegedly)) before getting thrown out also Iain.  It seemed that the gym master picked on and bullied a number from each years intake.  How I hope he has received his comeuppance (the paper bag distributor has already)

LE

I did a year at a minor public school, (attended by a well known distributor of paper bags full of money(allegedly)) before getting thrown out also Iain.  It seemed that the gym master picked on and bullied a number from each years intake.  How I hope he has received his comeuppance (the paper bag distributor has already)

LE

:offtopic:   That I can sympathise with. At King's School, my maths mistress was a sadistic old witch who sat me at the front of the class and took every opportunity to humiliate me. I wasn't great at maths, but after that I was hopeless! She gave me a double face slap at least once every lesson. Throwing a brick through the windscreen of her (parked!) mk.1 Cortina was how I was expelled. There, I've admitted it now!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 2

:offtopic:   That I can sympathise with. At King's School, my maths mistress was a sadistic old witch who sat me at the front of the class and took every opportunity to humiliate me. I wasn't great at maths, but after that I was hopeless! She gave me a double face slap at least once every lesson. Throwing a brick through the windscreen of her (parked!) mk.1 Cortina was how I was expelled. There, I've admitted it now!

cheers,

Iain

We could start a new thread Iain.  Sadistic school masters/ma'ams.

Slightly back on topic (but not much) we didn't have a model railway club at school but I did build my first baseboard there. Sad to say, our woodwork master was a bit of a stickler and what should have been the first of three became the first of one as he insisted on the correct dovetails at the corners, mortice and tenons elsewhere and doweled legs. All in mahogany! By the time I'd finished it it was time for pastures new. To my regret it never saw any track but my mother did use it as an occasional table for some years!

Candidate for sadistic schoolmaster: Mr. Jones. Phys.Ed., sports master and Ex-Royal Marine. 5 feet 12 inches tall, almost as wide across the shoulders and deadly with a gym pump if you failed to meet his standard. When he told you to head for the ropes you didn't so much climb them as levitate!

Just for balance. First amongst equals was Mr. Salt, our music master. A tall, thin, quiet and modest man who was sight impaired enough to qualify as registered blind, which made him the butt of some pretty cruel jokes from certain elements. He was one of the most gifted pianist's it has ever been my pleasure to hear, which together with his easy-going manner made learning a joy and responsible for my deep-abiding love of music. By happy circumstance it was his daughter who taught my daughter to play the piano in latter years.

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

My mate nicked a pair of one of the Housemasters wives knickers off her washing line, exchanged them for a pot of jam with a kid from another house who didn't know they were nicked but got six off the Headmaster at the end of assembly in front of the whole school and the Housemasters wife who demanded to witness the punishment after the idiot was caught trying to exchange them for a bicycle pump and then, and still protesting  his innocence later that day, he copped another  four on top for arguing his case.

He developed a one sided limp and walked with two sticks for a week ! - and rode about on a flat tyre...

Cheers.

Allan.

Six weeks in and progress so far.

And now the real work begins, bringing it to life.

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifnarrowguage.jpgattachicon.gifnarrowguage2.jpgattachicon.gifnarrowguage5.jpgattachicon.gifnarrowguage6.jpgattachicon.gifnarrowguage9.jpg

Allan,

Two questions re the 1st and last photos of this group. What are the main buildings walls made of?  And did/do you make all your windows?

Cheers

LE

Allan,

Two questions re the 1st and last photos of this group. What are the main buildings walls made of?  And did/do you make all your windows?

Cheers

LE

Made from card then stippled with white emulsion.

Stonework is textured Wills Stone sheets - SMP 200

All the windows are brass etched from Scalelink.

Tiles are cut out of thin card and lad individually

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi everyone!

I've just received this link in an email from ModelRailwayScenics and I just had to share it with you! It's even on-topic (sort of!) so enjoy! NOTE: Purists and rivet-counters please look away now!

http://www.modeltrainsonline.co.uk/2013/11/08/scumton-junction-a-layout-tour-with-a-difference/

Bill

• Like 4

I love it! Lots of wry humour and a fine view of the local insectry. I loved the sequence with the high flats toppling down like dominoes. Brilliant, and as the write up says, actually lots of interesting modelling going on. Someone has had fun.

cheers,

Iain

This is a further test on octagonal tower construction and if it works we'll do a propper Step By Step covering construction and colouring

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-44091900-1384110643_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-29146200-1384110661_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-24517700-1384110678_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-00673400-1384110717_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-54530000-1384110737_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-52797300-1384110760_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-51963700-1384110779_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-91251300-1384110801_thumb.jpg

This is a further test on octagonal tower construction and if it works we'll do a propper Step By Step covering construction and colouring

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-44091900-1384110643_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-29146200-1384110661_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-24517700-1384110678_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-00673400-1384110717_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-54530000-1384110737_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-52797300-1384110760_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-51963700-1384110779_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-91251300-1384110801_thumb.jpg

• Like 8