"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Hi everyone I have been laid low with man flu this week (its a real disease honest) and joined the forum and found this thread. Read every page and wished there was another 198 pages to read. Educational, inspiring and very very funny. As an almost total novice I have learnt more from this thread than all the books I have read and youtube tutorials I have watched. I would like to say a big thank you to all the contributors for such an entertaining read

Pete

Thanks for looking in, Pete and it's really good to have you on the forum. That Downes guy isn't about right now- so just to let you in on one ground rule. Please, don't mention cathedrals while you are on here. Windmills are OK, but...not cathedrals . :stinker:  Unless you happen to have one up your sleeve, in which case, bring it on! :jester:

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see you found your way out of that mine Iain. Welcome back. Alan has been beavering away like... well a beaver so you have a bit of catching up to do. Anything on the drawing board?

Regards Shaun.

Glad to see you found your way out of that mine Iain. Welcome back. Alan has been beavering away like... well a beaver so you have a bit of catching up to do. Anything on the drawing board?

Regards Shaun.

Thanks, Shaun.

I have got a big list of projects to work my way through ...all pretty good fun and I will try and post them on here when they are getting on. First to be completed will be the 2mm scale pub from Tormouth...just cameo cutting the slates now. Then I am also making a goods shed and a distribution depot, plus knocking up those 7mm pubs and selling them to Allan to pass off as his own. :jester:

cheers,

Iain

I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas about this problem. I have a large plastic box of redundant knife blades and other sharps...I am no good at re-sharpening them, so they are wasted once blunt. I've asked my local council (Gwynedd) but they are not interested in recycling the sharps and suggest I wrap them up and put them in the bin. (what?) So I wonder what other folk on here do with the old knife blades, bearing in mind I am talking about a few thousand here...is there any way to have them recycled rather than dumping them?

cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain

When my blades get blunt I file the point from the back to form a small 45 degree (ish!) angle then file the knife edge off and use them as skrawker's (scribers). OK! That's the first half-dozen sorted so how about sending the rest to Allan for Christmas? :angel:

Regards

Bill

• Like 3

Thanks for looking in, Pete and it's really good to have you on the forum. That Downes guy isn't about right now- so just to let you in on one ground rule. Please, don't mention cathedrals while you are on here. Windmills are OK, but...not cathedrals . :stinker:  Unless you happen to have one up your sleeve, in which case, bring it on! :jester:

cheers,

Iain

Or cows!

• RMweb Premium

Had the same problem with my insulin needles. The nice girl at the clinic in Belgium gave me a couple of clipsafe gadgets which clip off the sharp end and contain them within.

What you need is a sealed box with a slot just big enough to accept a Stanley blade! Could be made from thick styrene with strengthening corner strips.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas about this problem. I have a large plastic box of redundant knife blades and other sharps...I am no good at re-sharpening them, so they are wasted once blunt. I've asked my local council (Gwynedd) but they are not interested in recycling the sharps and suggest I wrap them up and put them in the bin. (what?) So I wonder what other folk on here do with the old knife blades, bearing in mind I am talking about a few thousand here...is there any way to have them recycled rather than dumping them?

cheers,

Iain

Iain, do I detect a rare but privileged insight there into the inner sanctums of the Scottish wallet !

Who on earth would want to stash away thousands of blunt blades - or even worse, try sharpening them when instead they could be building a cathedral -  when for a fiver you can get a 100 Draper blades, best blades money can buy, on Amazon.

Don't mess with them mate, dump and reload !

Cheers.

Allan

Anyway, blunt blades and Robinson's  wallet aside, Plub number 4 well under way and first picture - THE plan !

Cheers.

Allan

post-7286-0-51051100-1426271390.jpg

Well, I can produce sketches a bit like that, but then the process seems to go awry, somehow.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

Iain, do I detect a rare but privileged insight there into the inner sanctums of the Scottish wallet !

Who on earth would want to stash away thousands of blunt blades - or even worse, try sharpening them when instead they could be building a cathedral -  when for a fiver you can get a 100 Draper blades, best blades money can buy, on Amazon.

Don't mess with them mate, dump and reload !

Cheers.

Allan

I'm sorry I asked now! There isn't an emoticon for "stamps foot like rumplestiltskin" is there? :jester:

I just think it's irresponsible to dump the (thousands of) blades...or there again, could be my Scots presbyterian upbringing showing :beee:

cheers,

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Can you not donate them to the Ffestiniog railway, to be smelted down & recycled ?

(No, not the pubs, the knife blades...)

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Went in the plig and flerret in Pleethorps once and ordered a plink gin and a plint. remembering to say plplease.

The landlord refused to serve on the grounds of already being plissed.