"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Allan I would also like to wish both you and Iain, and indeed all your followers a vey

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR

​I was lucky to come across this thread when first coming on to RMweb in a serious way, and it led me to really see some excellent workmanship and meet some people who have used your thread as a bouncing board to build their own skills. Thank you very much for the inspiration.

• Like 1

And a very merry Christmas to you too Jaz and thank you for your kind and supportive comments. It's people like you that have made this thread the success that it is.

Thank you again.

Allan

So, back to Colorado and the finished second mine building (christ knows how many of these I've got to build ! )

post-18579-0-31943600-1419252127_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-01519700-1419252139_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-94725600-1419252185_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-40185600-1419252150_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-14469900-1419252203_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-15860800-1419252223_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-86533800-1419252243_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Are you working from plans for these buildings Allan or from photos and the back of an envelope sketches to work the Downes magic? Either way they are superb and so evocative of the real thing! :fan:

Regards

Bill

Totally off the top of my head Bill.

This is mountain mining Colorado style where everything and anything went.Check out the Colorado ghost mining towns on the web and you'll see what I mean.

First I rough out a sketch ( which is a complete waste of time as it never looks anything like the finished model anyway ) and work it up from there.All plans ever do is just get in the way - if you can read 'em and even if you can't.

Cheers.

Allan.

Ageing American bass stripwood - fast !

Soak the bundles in a Colron Jacobean Dark Oak wood dye bath - a half inch deep baking tray will do - retrieve, spread out on a large board and spray generously with Halfords matt white primer turning over as you spray to cover all sides and let chemical reaction do the rest where the dye will bleed through the paint leaving the strips looking well weathered as seen in the photographs and job done !

For the mahogany planking, glue the strips down to a 2mm card wall section, spray over with a reasonable coat of matt white primer then when dry, dry brush down along the grain with Colron Jacobean Dark Oak using a flat half inch brush.

Cheers.

Allan.

Ageing American bass stripwood - fast !Soak the bundles in a Colron Jacobean Dark Oak wood dye bath - a half inch deep baking tray will do - retrieve, spread out on a large board and spray generously with Halfords matt white primer turning over as you spray to cover all sides and let chemical reaction do the rest where the dye will bleed through the paint leaving the strips looking well weathered as seen in the photographs and job done !For the mahogany planking, glue the strips down to a 2mm card wall section, spray over with a reasonable coat of matt white primer then when dry, dry brush down along the grain with Colron Jacobean Dark Oak using a flat half inch brush.Cheers.Allan.

Fantastic modelling as ever

My response to Christmas, like Kev's is to drink more beer, having limbered up on wine with my meal! Oh and eat some fantastic food. Back to modelling and the impending tax return tomorrow.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 2

Narrow Gauge Water Tower, US style.

Well maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but whatever it is, I'm gonna have to re work that water chute - it's almost as bad as the sails on that windmill...

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifOn3 Water Tower 002.JPGattachicon.gifOn3 Water Tower 003.JPG

Do you really need to Allan? We could be looking at a whole new modelling icon here! :angel:

Regards

Bill (hiding behind the nearest lonesome pine)

• RMweb Premium

Narrow Gauge engine shed with nailed on outside workshop.

This kind of thing you could build on a spare sunday - or you could mow the lawn instead !

Cheers.

Allan

Sorry Allan - are you thinking of a shed at 1:1 or a model? Given your previous work as a constructor of 1:1 structures (as well), I feel there is some uncertainty! 

:jester:

:danced:  :danced: I've made it.

Found this thread by accident 6 days ago. I've managed to read from start to finish and made lots of notes on the way. Now lots of things to try.

What can I say. 'We are not worthy'. Some outstanding modelling to aspire to.

Thanks for starting this thread and long may it keep going

• Like 1