"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

A question guys.

Does it need a stone mullioned bay window above the archway ?

This was the original intention but now I'm not so sure.

Cheers.

Allan.

I don't think it "needs" it, things look fine as they are, but a stone mullioned window would break up the large area above the door and be very nice in itself. And I'd like to watch you make one, so that I can pick up a few much needed tips! :scratchhead:

Allan said:"Thanks Iain, but still trying to get back on form..."

Gah! Now I am worried... :O

Hi Allan, How do the inhabitants of the castle get up onto the ramparts, there are no stairs opening out into them?  :no: :sungum: :stinker:

Just teasing, as already said, excellent work, I may just try building a castle just for the fun of it, I don't need one but find more and more the trains are secondary to actually making buildings.

• Like 3

Lovely work Allan, and thank you for sharing how you achieved this.

As Freebs said, it does encourage us to tear out work, and see if we can improve. This summer we dismantled 32feet of layout, and basically the left hand side of the loft bar 5 feet was removed and we started again. And although it was sad to see it go. We have learned so much from RMweb, our old forum, research on line, friends who are also improving their skills, and frankly a large dash of  Downes and Robinson inspiration had a large part to play.

Just need to find a space for a bit of castle  :sungum:

• Like 1

I've just completely rebuilt the signal box at Risborough North for a customer...it was pretty much a total rebuild as the paper had faded...

post-18033-0-74148100-1384355090.jpg

Just so that you know that I do indulge in the occasional bit of Railway modelling!

I'm told that my Cowes Box is in the December Railway Modeller, although I haven't seen it yet.

cheers,

Iain

now I see this, I will tone down that green foam...

Edited by Iain C Robinson
  • Like 2

Just need to find a space for a bit of castle  :sungum:

Oh yes, the nippers would love a Castle! (and so would I!)

Although I couldn't possible afford all the Wills sheets (it hurts my wallet for just one pack) I can see a ruined castle rising out of a pile of foamex I've got stashed here at work...

• Like 4

I've just completely rebuilt the signal box at Risborough North for a customer...it was pretty much a total rebuild as the paper had faded...

attachicon.gifRecovered Risboro North (800x522).jpg

Just so that you know that I do indulge in the occasional bit of Railway modelling!

I'm told that my Cowes Box is in the December Railway Modeller, although I haven't seen it yet.

cheers,

Iain

now I see this, I will tone down that green foam...

Typical Robinsion workmanship - faultless, full of character and it leaves me " green" with envy !

Allan.

A question guys.

Does it need a stone mullioned bay window above the archway ?

This was the original intention but now I'm not so sure.

Cheers.

Allan.

Depends on your vision for the castle.  I would suggest that if it is supposed to be a mediaeval leftover probably not.  No self-respecting castle builder would have left a weak spot in the outer defences like that.  If, however, it is supposed to be something that has been built onto or messed about with or alternatively a folly from a later period that might be aesthetically pleasing.

I think this picture gives quite a good idea.  There's also a good railway reason for choosing it!

Oh yes, the nippers would love a Castle! (and so would I!)

Although I couldn't possible afford all the Wills sheets (it hurts my wallet for just one pack) I can see a ruined castle rising out of a pile of foamex I've got stashed here at work...

Did you see the November BRM?  It was suggested that pizza bases are an excellent supply of sculptable, scribable building material.  I'm building a collection of them and trying to persuade The Long Haired Controller that the tomato sauce is part of our five-a-day so she lets us have more pzza ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Iain, but still trying to get back on form...

Cheers.

Allan.

Allan said:"Thanks Iain, but still trying to get back on form..."

Gah! Now I am worried... :O

I'm glad you pick up on that too Iain! Any chance of recommending a suitable mine to hide in for when Allan really hits his stride? :scared: :O

Bill

Another alternative for the castle wall Allan. This is the main gate of Lancaster Castle and the chap lurking in the alcove above is, I believe, John O' Gaunt!

Another feature of interest is the notice board which informs us that it is also Her Majesty's Prison, Lancaster. Now that would be an interesting feature on a layout!

post-14791-0-94582600-1384365427.jpg

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

Suspect it could work if you were going for something more like this:

Hampton-Court-Palace-iconic.jpg

Hampton Court I presume but alas, a palace and not a castle.

Leeds castle however has more windows than walls and I suspect that it was never built with holding off the wild and woolly Mc Robinson clan but just to entertain the Brits that sold Scotland off during the "Clearances"

Anyway, any Scotsman still interested (B&B 300 quid a night!) it's still siegeable and stands in a large puddle 4 miles South of Maidstone

Cheers.

Allan

Another alternative for the castle wall Allan. This is the main gate of Lancaster Castle and the chap lurking in the alcove above is, I believe, John O' Gaunt!

Another feature of interest is the notice board which informs us that it is also Her Majesty's Prison, Lancaster. Now that would be an interesting feature on a layout!

attachicon.gifCastle, East (Main) Gate.jpg

Regards

Bill

Thanks for that Bill, Now I'm gonna have to start again !

Cheers.

Allan.

Hampton Court I presume but alas, a palace and not a castle.

Leeds castle however has more windows than walls and I suspect that it was never built with holding off the wild and woolly Mc Robinson clan but just to entertain the ###### Brits that sold Scotland off during the "Clearances"

Anyway, any Scotsman still interested (B&B 300 quid a night!) it's still siegeable and stands in a large puddle 4 miles South of Maidstone

Cheers.

Allan

Leeds Castle is next on the list to visit after The Small Controller saw loads of posters for it on a recent series of journeys round SE London...

Hi Ian R,

very nice box is that, typical GWR :-)

Hi Alan'

nice to see you in full swing again, like the Castle. I'm just finishing off 'York Minster' in 7mm  :rolleyes:

cheers

Peter

York Minster! Flipping heck!  I'd sell tickets to see that...it will be superb, I have no doubt.

cheers,

Iain