"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Far be it from me to even consider criticising the quality of the building, but does the positioning need some more thought ?  That's an awfully big door with not very much room in front for any sort of access.

Hi Stubby

The door isn't so much a door as it is an archway and the main enterance to the castle. This would have needed to be wide enough for a column of riders to pass through and high enough to acommodate horse, rider, penchant and pikes etc.

As it stands on the model it scales out to nine feet wide by fifteen feet to the key stone - check out Conway for example and it's almost twice that !

Later I will add a port cullis and at one time the enterance would have been further protected by a draw bridge and, if anyone managed to get over that and throuigh the archway, they would have been trapped in what was known as a " Murder Hole" - a formidable trap beyond the port cullis where archers would have rained arrows down on any intruders from all angles through the arrow slits in the side walls and hot oil poured on their heads from above through a hole in the top of the archway - they did this in Scotland all the time and still do -  why do you think Robinson left to live in Wales ?!

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

This is a further test on octagonal tower construction and if it works we'll do a propper Step By Step covering construction and colouring

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gif002.JPGattachicon.gif003.JPGattachicon.gif004.JPGattachicon.gif005.JPGattachicon.gif006.JPGattachicon.gif007.JPGattachicon.gif008.JPGattachicon.gif010.JPG

This is a further test on octagonal tower construction and if it works we'll do a propper Step By Step covering construction and colouring

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gif002.JPGattachicon.gif003.JPGattachicon.gif004.JPGattachicon.gif005.JPGattachicon.gif006.JPGattachicon.gif007.JPGattachicon.gif008.JPGattachicon.gif010.JPG

In the closeup of the archway, you can just about (and I mean only just) see the join between two sheets of the stone. This is the sort of thing that makes the rest of us wish we had your skills.

Awesome stuff.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu

I think it's the camera angle that's the problem - to me it looks like we're peering over a large wall which runs round the front of the building, so the base of the wall is at least the distance from the door about the same as the height of the door which would give plenty of access.  I think the wall in front of that is the same which is why it looks like there's no real walkway in front of the house!  The building and the house are thus on the same level...

Could be wrong but that seemed to make sense of it to me...

David

Ah, I see what you mean.I'm so used to seeing lots of levels on these layouts I mistook the simple wall for a wall supporting a higher level.

Yes, if the two buildings are on the same level then I can see the area in front of the door is adequate.

Apologies to all for doubting the master !

• Like 2

Ah, I see what you mean.I'm so used to seeing lots of levels on these layouts I mistook the simple wall for a wall supporting a higher level.

Yes, if the two buildings are on the same level then I can see the area in front of the door is adequate.

Apologies to all for doubting the master !

And the mystery deepens...

Cheers.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully this will explain my rambling...

In this picture, I assumed the two floor levels indicated by the red arrow were at different heights.

post-7025-0-64154900-1384173280.gif

Thus a cross section along the yellow line would give diagram A. But, if the floor levels were the same, then diagram B would apply.

post-7025-0-13081300-1384173281.gif

Never mind ground levels, door hieghts and the price of fish, more important matters need attending to - cladding the towers !

Five shots showing how to bend Wills Stone Sheets, colouring, mortar and wall beading.

Any questions, just fire away !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-61637100-1384188993_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-82735800-1384189011_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-60195000-1384189034_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-21253400-1384189057_thumb.jpg

post-18579-0-24868600-1384189183_thumb.jpg

BTW all you would be architects, the corner building, its doorway and level plain has now been made redundant - that's where the castle will be going.

So neh!

And also BTW, since work started about six weeks ago there are now four rejected buildings and that corner building is now one of them, so, any offers ?

Cheers.

Allan.

I told you he would be selling the buildings off at supersonic speed. 

However I do envy Allan for the ability to build so many that he can say....hmmm...redundant....hmmmmmm quick profit to pay for the rest........

• Like 1

Colouring, mortar joints and wall beading - messy !

The beading was cut  out as one piece from 3.2mm styrene - hard going so forget all about flimsy scapels and get serious with the Stanley knife loaded with heavy duty Draper Blades - stanley blades are crap and the point fails and snaps off at the first pass - Yankee steel for you!

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-42477100-1384203453_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-71629700-1384203486_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-82721600-1384203518_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-29986700-1384203547_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-51562500-1384203575_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-66752400-1384203609_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-68999800-1384203643_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Allan.I think I've got my head round the basics of the Colron Johnsons wall colouring, but I'm not sure how the Halfords satin black spray is used.

PS.It's not like me to start trouble but if you look in the December Railway Modeller you'll see that Robinsons been building signal boxes on the sly.I think he's after your old job! :nono:

Edited by iainp
  • Like 1

Hi Allan.I think I've got my head round the basics of the Colron Johnsons wall colouring, but I'm not sure how the Halfords satin black spray is used.

PS.It's not like me to start trouble but if you look in the December Railway Modeller you'll see that Robinsons been building signal boxes on the sly.I think he's after your old job! :nono:

Hi Iainp.

The satin/matt black is for aiming a dustcoat up and under the stonework relief to produce more definition and shadow.

To do this, hold/lay the sheet perfectly flat then aim the spray at the  edge of the sheet where it will hit the under edge of the stonework - not to heavy, just a couple of light passes but make sure the paint is acrylic, not enamel.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1