CANPOTEX and Potash Corp Hoppers

PWRS/ NARC  have announced they are to produce Canpotex and Potash Corp 4275 hoppers.

http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=7547

The plan is to sell them in sets of six, which in my view will be a bit costly especially if you want  a mix of reporting marks. However in fairness to PWRS/NARC the potash trains tend to be huge 170+ vehicles operated as unit or block trains, so one or two in a mixed freight may not be authentic. Having said that I did film a mixed freight at Revelstoke BC with 9 potash hoppers in a mixed freight train. (It's on Youtube)

No prices announced from what I can see but anyone who models the contemporary western Canada railway will surely want a rake of these cars.

Armchair.

A bit more research on the PWRS/Porters website reveals the cars are for release in December 2013. A set of six will cost $239.98 (US) :O  which at current exchange rates comes to £157.56 so that's  £26.26p per vehicle, but you cannot buy them individually. :no:

So start saving and be very, very good. Father Christmas is watching you! :nono:

AC

A set of six will cost $239.98 (US) :O  which at current exchange rates comes to £157.56 so that's £26.26p per vehicle.

Combine that with this statement from their website page for the Canpotex cars:

"By combining sets, the modeler can build a typical proportionally balanced consist of PETX, CGLX, CITX, & CEFX cars in any length from 24 to 96 cars."

:O  :O  :O

I only really wanted 3, but I will have to buy a six-pack  :O   The Hawker Siddeley 4550 Hopper that PWRS/NARC produced are excellent - so looking forward to these cars too.

Jez

Jez I will split a set with you, if you want 3. The comment of block trains is spot on, HOWEVER I have seen plenty of single cars in trains in all sorts of places. Never sure if they are just being moved around. Seen them in some odd places too!! 

Righty ho Simon - sounds good to me.  I already have a PWRS account, so will order a set of the red Potash ones when they open the orders.

Thanks Simon.

Jez.

Further to previous posts, £157 is a big outlay in one go, even though it gets you six hoppers. It also means that all six will be all the same reporting marks.

Given that the release date is currently scheduled for December 2013, there may be an opportunity to pesuade PWRS to reconsider their marketing strategy.

My suggestion would be to lobby PWRS to make the vehicles available for purchase in smaller quantities, or even to make single vehicles available. By this method a representative rake could be produced consisting of a variety of reporting marks, or even a pair of vehicles for a small switching operation.

It looks like a good hopper car to have whether as a large rake or a single unit. It makes more sense to have twenty people buy one car each than just two people buying a set of one set of six. Manufacturers in this field rely on volume sales, so it is up to us as potential customers to persuade them that lots of sales of small numbers will produce more demand than only making them available in expensive fixed number sets.

Let PWRS know by sending a message to dan@pwrs.ca. This will give them an indication of the level of interest in the vehicle from people not in a position for reasons of cost or space to buy sets of six or multiples thereof.

Armchair.

Here are a few pictures of the first release HS 4550 hoppers from PWRS/NARC to show the quality of the model for those who have not seen it in the flesh:

post-7044-0-45320400-1366988783_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-33108300-1366988813_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-38429400-1366988845_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-32809100-1366988882_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-74510200-1366988906_thumb.jpg

Hope they are of some use.

Jez

Thanks for the photos Jez. They do illustrate the top quality of the PWRS/NARC stuff.  The latest release of the Saskatchewan! (2008 livery) and the Saskatchewan (2011) grain hoppers is due in September.

The Potash hopper in your photos is of the cylindrical round hatch version,(Hawker-Siddley) the ones proposed for December this year is the later style as produced by National Steel Car (NSC) with trough hatches.

I have given PWRS an indication of how many Canpotex cars I want.  If those of us interested in buying these cars let PWRS know, it shows them some support and gives them confidence to produce them in sufficient numbers, that we are not left with the all too familiar "out of stock" notice.

AC

Archived